cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled band steering due to 2.4ghz issues

zathereth
I've been around

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. My house has several devices that only connect to 2.4ghz and I’ve noticed that band steering causes them to intermittently disconnect when in use.

So what i did was turn off band steering entirely and renamed the network (5G tag on the same name).

But then now none of the devices I have at home, regardless if they are 2.4 only or support both, are able to connect to the 2.4 network?

The 5ghz network is working fine and all devices can connect to it fine.

I’ve spoken with Rogers support and their solution was a modem replacement, after a technician had initially come by and played around with the wires.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

**Labels Added**

1 REPLY 1

Re: Disabled band steering due to 2.4ghz issues

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

If you have devices that only work on 2.4 Ghz, you might want to check what mode it supports (b, g, or n).   I have used some devices that are very old and believe it or not, they only support g, and setting them to n mode causes connection issues.  FYI, those devices at my home have been decommissioned some time ago. 

With regards to network setup, I would also take it one step further and try the following:

- remove any saved wifi network settings on the device

- change the 2.4 GHz name to something completely different without any dashes or anything

- set the password and DON'T use any special characters which could cause issues (i.e. don't use []{}\|^).  I tend to use A-Z in upper and lower case, 0-9 numbers, and characters like !@#$%&.  For example, a password like &RaB3q@582$1 should be plenty strong.

- reboot the rogers router after making the wifi changes to force the modem to broadcast 2 different SSIDs

- on the 2.4 Ghz devices, it should find the new network broadcast and the devices should be able to connect.

Hope this helps.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation