cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

RR19
I've been around

I can’t seem to find a way to connect my escape smart bulb and plug to my wifi as is says it needs a 2.4 ghz. It seems the router wants to connect things on 5ghz.

Has anyone had this issue? And better yet solved it....

***Edited Labels***

60 REPLIES 60

Re: Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

Donnyjohn20
I've been here awhile
Hello! So I finally figured it out! For anybody else trying with the globe suite bulbs from Costco, if you have Rogers ignite, you must disconnect from the wifi, run a personal hotspot from a phone and connect to it he personal hotspot and it’s the device your using to set up the bulbs. Once you run the search and add the bulb, you must then update the firmware. Once it’s updated, you have to delete the bulb and return to factory settings, once that is done you will be able to connect to your 2.4ghz Rogers ignite wifi with the bulb!

THANK YOU!!! After so much time on livechat with Rogers AND on phone technical support with Rogers, your hotspot solution has saved me!!!

old-relic
I've been around

I got fed up messing around trying various things to get my smart plug connected.

I had an old Netgear router lying around. So I plugged it into the Ignite modem and used the wifi signal from it to run my smart plugs.  Works fine.

So glad I've come across this post!! I've been trying to get my Globe bulbs connected to the Rogers Ignite wi-fi since last week and was ready to give up. Disabling the 5 ghz band, deleting and reinstalling the app, and restarting the modem didn't work (Rogers tech support told me it must be a defective pack of bulbs, but I was able to connect one to a different non-Rogers network so it's not the bulb). I will definitely try your solution, but just want to make sure I understand the process.

If for example I'm using "phone A", that has the Globe Suite app to setup the bulbs, would the following be correct?

1. Disconnect phone A from the wifi

2. Use a 2nd phone B to run a personal hot spot

3. Connect Phone A to the hot spot from Phone B

4. Pair and setup the bulbs using the app on phone A (which is connected to the hot spot wifi)

5. Update the firmware on each bulb

6. Delete the bulbs using the Globe Suite app, and return to factory settings

7. Connect phone A back to the Rogers Ignite wifi and setup the bulbs again.

Is this correct? Or did I get any of that wrong? I'm assuming that resetting the bulbs to factory settings won't downgrade the firmware?

Thank you!

Thank goodness for this thread!
I managed to get my Geeni smart switch connected. I needed two phones to do it.
1. Use phone B to create wifi hotspot
2. Log into phone B’s wifi hotspot on Phone A.
3. Open Greeni app on Phone A
4. Add new smart switch to Geeni app on phone A (Couldn’t actually control the switch at this point)
5. Disconnect Phone A from wifi hotspot. Connect Phone A to Rogers Ignite wifi
6. Can finally control Geeni switch from phone A.

I got the Geeni Smart Outlet setup using the hot spot as above. Switched back to the ignite wifi and it seemed to work. I still had the hot spot running on phone B. Once I disabled hotspot on Phone B the device became unavailable in the Geeni app. Close!!! 😞

matrix303
I've been around
Solution worked like a charm! Can verify that the Globe bulbs are basically Tuya bulbs so this works for the Globe and Tuya apps!

MycohF
I've been here awhile

Hi all,

Does the Gigabit modem negatively affect my smart wall light switch?

I recently switched to the new Gigabit Modem, and now my smart wall switch keeps turning off by itself after about 1.5 minutes. I can connect the smart wall switch to the Eero mesh wifi (via eeros troubleshoot function to stop 5G), but I am not sure if the 2.4/5Ghz is causing issues to the wall switch to turn off by itself?

Note: I had the old Rogers Rocket Modem + wall to wall (eero) combo and had a smart wall light switch installed. Everything worked well! - the issues only started after I got the new Gigabit modem/router.

Does the Gigabit modem force smart devices to switch to 5g even after initially connecting with 2.4Ghz? It must be the new modem/router causing some changes but I just can't figure out what.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

When I press save after changing the name, it reverts the name back to the original and does not change.

@Donnyjohn20 

Can you kindly detail the whole procedure in a detailed step wise fashion since I am not so tech savvy as the others in the best.

Shadoww
I plan to stick around

But 2.4 does not show on ours Rogers Ignite 

Shadoww
I plan to stick around

This is so frustrating the last 3 bulbs we bought we managed to get working, now the 3 new ones having a really hard time. Did the hot spot thing but as soon as we switched to wifi they stopped working! 
help!! 

Hello, @Shadoww

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your concern regarding getting your smart bulbs connected. I can see how frustrating this has become for you. 😞

It sounds like you may be experiencing an issue related to band steering. Please log in to your Ignite WiFi Hub app and change the WiFi network name of the 5G WiFi. Once completed you will see both networks on the list of available networks on your devices. Connect your bulbs to the 2.4G network. Once connected and working properly, change the name of the 5G network back to match the 2.4G network.

Let the community know if you are still having issues.

RogersTony

Shadoww
I plan to stick around

ok called Rogers, the enabled it so we could see our 2.4 but now our google wont work. Are we supposed to disconnect 2.4 once the bulbs are working  if so how??

Shadoww
I plan to stick around

wow finally did it!! That was rough, cant believe what a pain it is to hook up these lights to Ignite! 

Shadoww
I plan to stick around
wow i am stuck again, when I take 2.4 away the lights stopped working!! So frustrated right now!

You dont want to take away the 2.4,  Thats what they likely are connecting to.

Shadoww
I plan to stick around

we did and they are working now

Did you ever find the solution to this? I am having issues since the pods went in.

Shadoww
I plan to stick around

We kept playing with them and eventually got them working, second package of bulbs was way more difficult than the first ones for some unknown reason 

@Donnyjohn20 wrote:
Hello! So I finally figured it out! For anybody else trying with the globe suite bulbs from Costco, if you have Rogers ignite, you must disconnect from the wifi, run a personal hotspot from a phone and connect to it he personal hotspot and it’s the device your using to set up the bulbs. Once you run the search and add the bulb, you must then update the firmware. Once it’s updated, you have to delete the bulb and return to factory settings, once that is done you will be able to connect to your 2.4ghz Rogers ignite wifi with the bulb!

Brilliant.  I'm a computer engineer so these instructions make sense as to why the problem is happening in the first place. I'll write up some steps below for people still struggling:

It looks like this is Globe's issue where they have a batch of bulbs with buggy firmware that does not play nicely with the Ignite Modem/WIFI.  BUT once the bulb is able to upgrade its firmware, then it will connect on the Rogers 2.4Ghz network properly. So, in order to get the firmware upgraded, you need two use two cell phones and have one cellphone connect to the bulb using the second cellphone's wifi hotspot. We will call them cell phone A and B.

1. Install the Globe Suite App on cell phone A.

2. Setup a Mobile Hotspot on cellphone B (connections)

3. Connect cellphone A to the Mobile Hotspot of cellphone B.

4. Load up the Global Suite App on cell phone A.

5. When prompted for the WIFI information in the Global Suite App on cellphone A, enter the mobile hotspot name and password you setup on cellphone B.

6. The bulb should be found now.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions in the Global Suite App on cellphone A to upgrade the firmware on the bulb.

Once the firmware is upgraded, you can then disconnect cellphone A from the mobile hotspot and reconnect it to the Rogers Ignite 2.4GHz network.

1. Disconnect cellphone A from hotspot of cellphone B.

2. Close Global Suite App on cellphone A.

3. Choose and connect to your Rogers 2.4GHz network in your wifi settings on cellphone A.

4. Load the Global Suite App up on cellphone A.

5. If you are prompted to enter the wifi network information again, do it, but this time using your Rogers 2.4Ghz network.

6. You should be able to reconnect to the bulb. If not, remove it and try reconnecting to it manually in the app using you Rogers 2.4Ghz network.

Hope this helps someone.

Topic Stats