Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Connecting a smart bulb and smart plug to the new ignite wifi

I have no personal experience with Globe Suite products... does anyone else on the forums?

If anyone else has any extra ideas that @Donnyjohn20 might try, please share! 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello! So I finally figured it out! For anybody else trying with the globe suite bulbs from Costco, if you have Rogers ignite, you must disconnect from the wifi, run a personal hotspot from a phone and connect to it he personal hotspot and it’s the device your using to set up the bulbs. Once you run the search and add the bulb, you must then update the firmware. Once it’s updated, you have to delete the bulb and return to factory settings, once that is done you will be able to connect to your 2.4ghz Rogers ignite wifi with the bulb!
I've Been Around

THANK YOU!!! After so much time on livechat with Rogers AND on phone technical support with Rogers, your hotspot solution has saved me!!!
I've Been Around

I got fed up messing around trying various things to get my smart plug connected.

I had an old Netgear router lying around. So I plugged it into the Ignite modem and used the wifi signal from it to run my smart plugs.  Works fine.

I've Been Around

So glad I've come across this post!! I've been trying to get my Globe bulbs connected to the Rogers Ignite wi-fi since last week and was ready to give up. Disabling the 5 ghz band, deleting and reinstalling the app, and restarting the modem didn't work (Rogers tech support told me it must be a defective pack of bulbs, but I was able to connect one to a different non-Rogers network so it's not the bulb). I will definitely try your solution, but just want to make sure I understand the process.

If for example I'm using "phone A", that has the Globe Suite app to setup the bulbs, would the following be correct?

1. Disconnect phone A from the wifi

2. Use a 2nd phone B to run a personal hot spot

3. Connect Phone A to the hot spot from Phone B

4. Pair and setup the bulbs using the app on phone A (which is connected to the hot spot wifi)

5. Update the firmware on each bulb

6. Delete the bulbs using the Globe Suite app, and return to factory settings

7. Connect phone A back to the Rogers Ignite wifi and setup the bulbs again.

Is this correct? Or did I get any of that wrong? I'm assuming that resetting the bulbs to factory settings won't downgrade the firmware?

Thank you!

I've Been Around

Thank goodness for this thread!
I managed to get my Geeni smart switch connected. I needed two phones to do it.
1. Use phone B to create wifi hotspot
2. Log into phone B’s wifi hotspot on Phone A.
3. Open Greeni app on Phone A
4. Add new smart switch to Geeni app on phone A (Couldn’t actually control the switch at this point)
5. Disconnect Phone A from wifi hotspot. Connect Phone A to Rogers Ignite wifi
6. Can finally control Geeni switch from phone A.

I've Been Around

I got the Geeni Smart Outlet setup using the hot spot as above. Switched back to the ignite wifi and it seemed to work. I still had the hot spot running on phone B. Once I disabled hotspot on Phone B the device became unavailable in the Geeni app. Close!!! 😞
I've Been Around

Solution worked like a charm! Can verify that the Globe bulbs are basically Tuya bulbs so this works for the Globe and Tuya apps!
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all,

Does the Gigabit modem negatively affect my smart wall light switch?

I recently switched to the new Gigabit Modem, and now my smart wall switch keeps turning off by itself after about 1.5 minutes. I can connect the smart wall switch to the Eero mesh wifi (via eeros troubleshoot function to stop 5G), but I am not sure if the 2.4/5Ghz is causing issues to the wall switch to turn off by itself?

Note: I had the old Rogers Rocket Modem + wall to wall (eero) combo and had a smart wall light switch installed. Everything worked well! - the issues only started after I got the new Gigabit modem/router.

Does the Gigabit modem force smart devices to switch to 5g even after initially connecting with 2.4Ghz? It must be the new modem/router causing some changes but I just can't figure out what.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I've Been Around

When I press save after changing the name, it reverts the name back to the original and does not change.