cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect to Google Services on Home Internet Network

Claranon
I've been here awhile

I've been having a problem the past couple days that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. Whenever I try to connect to a Google services site (Drive, Docs, Photos, etc.) I get connection errors and it will not load. This is happening on two hard-wired computers (Windows 7 64-bit) as well as various mobile devices (iPhones, iPads).

In Firefox the error is "Secure Connection Failed. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." In Chrome I receive "The connection was reset. ERR_CONNECTION_RESET". Safari Mobile also mentions not being able to make a secure connection to the server. This is only happening on Google sites; every other website works. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus on PC, with no link-scanning.

I have a CGN3ACSMR provided by Rogers and have tried power-cycling it to solve the issue. This works for a time, but the problem always comes back. The fact that it's happening network-wide, on multiple devices, wired and wireless, makes me wonder if it's a problem with my modem or my Rogers service.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me, as extensive searching online has yielded me no useful results.

*** Added Labels *** 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cannot Connect to Google Services on Home Internet Network

RogersTony

Hello @Claranon,

I know how popular Google services have become so we definitely want to do our best to ensure you regain access ASAP.

Since it is happening only on your home network and on multiple devices it sounds like there is an issue with the settings on the modem or the Firmware it is running. Do you have your own custom settings on the modem or is it mostly default other than the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase?

Instead of a power cycle, you can attempt a factory reset but this will revert all settings to default. This is not an issue I've come across before so I'd like to rule out an issue with the settings/Firmware before recommending a modem swap.

If there is anyone else in the Community who has run into a similar issue don't hesitate to chime in. I will also tag in some of our Resident Experts who may be able to provide insight: @Datalink, @Gdkitty, @gp-se, @57.

We look forward to your response! 😃

RogersTony

While i am not on that modem anymore.. i was having some similar issues to that when IPv6 was first coming out.
I had mine bridged, and my ASUS router, was having problems with it.. getting similar errors on HTTPS sites but most regular ones were fine.
Disabled IPv6 on my ASUS and it was fine.
Havent seen/heard that on the CNG3 on its own though.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Claranon wrote:

I've been having a problem the past couple days that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. Whenever I try to connect to a Google services site (Drive, Docs, Photos, etc.) I get connection errors and it will not load. This is happening on two hard-wired computers (Windows 7 64-bit) as well as various mobile devices (iPhones, iPads).

In Firefox the error is "Secure Connection Failed. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." In Chrome I receive "The connection was reset. ERR_CONNECTION_RESET". Safari Mobile also mentions not being able to make a secure connection to the server. This is only happening on Google sites; every other website works. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus on PC, with no link-scanning.

I have a CGN3ACSMR provided by Rogers and have tried power-cycling it to solve the issue. This works for a time, but the problem always comes back. The fact that it's happening network-wide, on multiple devices, wired and wireless, makes me wonder if it's a problem with my modem or my Rogers service.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me, as extensive searching online has yielded me no useful results.

*** Added Labels *** 

@Claranon I think @Gdkitty is on the right track, this could be an ipv6 issue. You could try logging into the modem and change it from dual stack ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only for testing.

Since this happens on a computer and mobile device I cannot see it being a computer issue/anti virus/firewall issue.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation