cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make bridge mode work Ignite XB7 Airport Extreme

marypaul7230
I've been here awhile

Hi everyone: I had Rogers internet installed in May. This is a rural application, so it is essentially what is known as "fixed wireless": A radio/antenna attached to the outside of my house; ethernet cable running into a power injector inside with another ethernet cable connecting to the Rogers Ignite XB7 router. I would like to be able to bridge the Rogers unit and use my existing Apple Airport Extreme as my main router, since I have an extensive mesh WiFi network already set up, as well as about 30 internet connected devices (lights, plugs, sensors, cameras) already set up with my current configuration, and I’d rather not have to re-set every darn one of them.

Now, I know Rogers doesn’t like you bridging their router, but they do provide instructions on how to accomplish the task. I will tell you what I have done, and perhaps someone can tell me why the heck I cannot get my Airport Extreme to pick up the internet signal from the Ignite XB7.

First, I logged into the Ignite and put it in Bridge mode. Then I factory reset my Airport Extreme to provide a new network. I do not have the ethernet cable attached at this point in the hopes that it will pick up the required info upon re-boot. I re-boot the Ignite device first, wait until the light is solid white and then start up the Airport Extreme. An ethernet cable is connected from XB7 port 1 to the Airport Extreme Wan port. The first time I did this it worked for about 8 hours and then lost internet connectivity. I have not been able to duplicate this result since Sunday.

I am beyond frustrated with this. As a little background info, my previous provider was Xplornet, (I actually still have them running here and am getting tired of paying for two providers) and substituting my Airport Extreme router in place of their router was as simple as removing their unit, plugging in the Airport Extreme, and rebooting. Is there something in the Rogers setup that prevents me from doing the same thing? 

Any help is appreciated. I’d love to stay with Rogers since they are promising twice the speed for the same price as Xplornet, but if I can’t get this bridge thing to work I’m afraid that’s a deal-breaker.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't make bridge mode work Ignite XB7 Airport Extreme

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@marypaul7230 wrote:

Hi everyone: I had Rogers internet installed in May. This is a rural application, so it is essentially what is known as "fixed wireless": A radio/antenna attached to the outside of my house; ethernet cable running into a power injector inside with another ethernet cable connecting to the Rogers Ignite XB7 router. I would like to be able to bridge the Rogers unit and use my existing Apple Airport Extreme as my main router, since I have an extensive mesh WiFi network already set up, as well as about 30 internet connected devices (lights, plugs, sensors, cameras) already set up with my current configuration, and I’d rather not have to re-set every darn one of them.

I am not familiar with the "fixed wireless" Internet hardware... but if your XB7 gateway is connected to the Rogers network via Ethernet, not a coax/DOCSIS connection, then you are running in "WAN: Ethernet" mode and cannot enable Bridge Mode on the XB7.  However, if you do not subscribe to Ignite TV or Ignite Home Phone, and do not require any of the "value added" services that Ignite Internet offers, then you probably do not even need to use the XB7 gateway at all.  Simply unplug the Ethernet cable from the XB7 and plug it into the WAN port of your Apple AirPort Extreme.  (Make sure that your WAN type is set to Auto/DHCP.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There should be people along shortly to assist you with this.  I have the following comments.

1. When I switched to IgniteTV with the XB7, I stopped using my Airport Extreme and found the XB7 to be superior for WiFi.  I simply renamed the network and password on the XB7 to the same as I had with my Airport extreme. All of my dozen or so devices then connected without making any changes to any of those devices. (no guarantees, especially if you need the mesh network).

2. If you search the forum for terms like "Ignite Bridge Mode" or similar, you'll find several previous threads on the topic, including some recent posts this past week or so.

marypaul7230
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the info, 57. I am finding that the physical limitations of the XB7 router are a lot less than what I have previously enjoyed. My property is about an acre in size, and has been nicely covered with the Airport Express configuration I have now. The XB7 can barely cover our house, about 50 foot radius. Forget about getting a signal in the garage or shed. This was extensively discussed with the Rogers Sales Rep who said it would be fine and everything would work out. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@marypaul7230 wrote:

I am not familiar with the "fixed wireless" Internet hardware... but if your XB7 gateway is connected to the Rogers network via Ethernet, not a coax/DOCSIS connection, then you are running in "WAN: Ethernet" mode and cannot enable Bridge Mode on the XB7.  However, if you do not subscribe to Ignite TV or Ignite Home Phone, and do not require any of the "value added" services that Ignite Internet offers, then you probably do not even need to use the XB7 gateway at all.  Simply unplug the Ethernet cable from the XB7 and plug it into the WAN port of your Apple AirPort Extreme.  (Make sure that your WAN type is set to Auto/DHCP.)

marypaul7230
I've been here awhile

Thanks, -G-, I did as you suggested and totally removed the XB7, rebooted everything and it worked! I am sure I had done that before, but it's working now, fingers are crossed, and I'll come back to whine if it doesn't work out. Thanks again!

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 3 in conversation