cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB7 no port 4?

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Hi folks,

Yesterday I experienced a dead port 4 on my XB7 for the second time. Both times I swapped the modem out. First time port 4 worked after the swap. This time, port 4 is still dead even after the swap...

I've:

- Reset the modem

- Tested on 3 different devices

Logging into the backend of the modem, it shows 'Active' but no IP is obtained other then a local loop back (169) address... 

Anyone else experience the same issue? Looking for a quick fix.. What am I missing?

***Edit.. Port 4 mysteriously started working again... Perhaps someone knows the cause for port 4 dropping?

TIA!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: XB7 no port 4?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had one of my ports inactive a while back. I did a restart of the gateway via the app and all was fine again.  (I'm not sure if this is better than unplugging/replugging),  I've had IgniteTV for 5 months and it only happened once.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bigdee2015 wrote:

Hi folks,

Yesterday I experienced a dead port 4 on my XB7 for the second time. Both times I swapped the modem out. First time port 4 worked after the swap. This time, port 4 is still dead even after the swap...

I've:

- Reset the modem

- Tested on 3 different devices

Logging into the backend of the modem, it shows 'Active' but no IP is obtained other then a local loop back (169) address... 

Anyone else experience the same issue? Looking for a quick fix.. What am I missing?

***Edit.. Port 4 mysteriously started working again... Perhaps someone knows the cause for port 4 dropping?

TIA!

Port 4 is special because it can be used as a WAN port, for when you have a non-DOCSIS Internet service and need to connect the Ignite gateway to a (cellular) Wireless Internet modem or FTTH applications where the gateway connects to an external ONU.

What do you have plugged into Port 4?  Do you have a device that has an active DHCP server that might make the XB7 think that that this is a WAN port?  (If so, the DHCP server on that device needs to be disabled!)

You can also log into your gateway, go to "Gateway > Connection > WAN Network" and change the WAN Network type from "Auto" to "DOCSIS", which should prevent the Ignite gateway from using Port 4 as a WAN port... but really, you need to be mindful of the configuration of any device that you have plugged into your home network.

In "WAN: Ethernet" mode, the RF (coax) interface will also get shut down and you will lose DOCSIS Internet connectivity.

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply -G-..

In response I further investigated finding a small 8 port switch seems to be the blame. IP conflict? I haven't been able to quite assess the reason for this.. But finding the switch to be the problem, why would it just disconnect at random? Is the XB7 auto switching its WAN network? I have my local network set to DHCP set at 192.1680.2-253 and reserving all switch connected IP's to prevent any conflict.. Doesn't make sense to me at the moment. I'm still testing/investigating..

Cheers!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation