cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA Firmware Upgrade

hansm0leman
I plan to stick around

It's been 5 days sinxe I have had Rogers install and the modem is still running firmware 2.0.10.33T3

Is there a way to force an update or how long does it take to automatically update?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CODA Firmware Upgrade

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hansm0leman have you done a modem restart/reboot?  Give that a go.  Unplug the modem from the wall socket, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  The modem reboot should run the firmware check to determine if the modem is up to date or not.  If not, it should update automatically.  Although there is a modem reboot built into the update process, I've always found that a factory reset after a production version update, or at the very least another modem restart should ensure that the modem behaves as it should. 

If that still does not work, call tech support to have the modem added to the update list, which should result in a firmware update overnight. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hansm0leman have you done a modem restart/reboot?  Give that a go.  Unplug the modem from the wall socket, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  The modem reboot should run the firmware check to determine if the modem is up to date or not.  If not, it should update automatically.  Although there is a modem reboot built into the update process, I've always found that a factory reset after a production version update, or at the very least another modem restart should ensure that the modem behaves as it should. 

If that still does not work, call tech support to have the modem added to the update list, which should result in a firmware update overnight. 

hansm0leman
I plan to stick around

That worked. Thanks

flash999
I've been here awhile

I'm using  CODA-4582U and I can see its running firmware 2.0.10.33T3

As far as I understand there is a newer version out there

I tried to reboot the modem and factory reset it a couple of times, but it still wont download a newer version

Tried to talk to support, but they just told that as long as my modem works OK there is no need to worry about firmware...

Any idea what can I do to install the latest firmware ?

Hey @flash999!

Are you part of the firmware trial? If so, please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can check your entry. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

We'll do what we can to get your modem firmware updated.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Corx
I plan to stick around

@RogersAndy , is it possible to have you (or someone else) push the latest firmware for the CODA-4582 to my modem? I picked up a new one from a Rogers store yesterday and it was brand new (sealed in the box and everything). It's running 2.0.10.33T3. I've tried pulling the power from it for 10-15 seconds and rebooting but that hasn't seemed to force the update.

Thank you

Hello, @Corx.

I appreciate your attention to the modem's firmware. If your modem is still running the .33T3 version; we can look into updating it to the latest version, .36T6.

Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps with modem details. You can check our blog if you require assistance with the private messaging.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Corx
I plan to stick around

Thank you, @RogersMoin . PM sent :).

Corx
I plan to stick around

All sorted now @RogersMoin . Thanks for the help. 

squ6688
I've been here awhile
I have the same model and same problem. Could anyone help to put my modem on the update list? My firmware version is still 7.1.1.33 after rebooted many times. Thanks.

Hello, @squ6688.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I appreciate you joining this discussion; however, this is a bit dated thread. Since then we have transitioned the CODA-4582 modem to SDK 7. 

You can check the firmware changelog to know more. Your modem is running the current production firmware version, 7.1.1.33.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

squ6688
I've been here awhile

Hi Moin,

Thanks for your quick reply and let me know that my firmware is the latest version. I did check the firmware history yesterday. I saw the latest version is 7.1.1.35 there, but didn't know it's still in trail. 

BTW, my home internet has intermittent disconnection problem for long time. For that reason, I upgraded my Ignite package from 500b to Gigabit(to get a better modem). Thereafter, I also called tech support. A technician came and checked box outside and replaced the connector on wall in room.  Since then, the network worked well for about a week, before the disconnection occurs again. It happens at least once a day, 3-4 times often. Sometime it connected back automatically within few minutes. Sometime it refuses to work even I reboot modem several times. Everything goes randomly. Now I have got used to it, because no choice. That's why I thought maybe the modem needs to be upgraded to 7.1.1.35, or is there a chance that I can get a latest modem? My neighbor has the same Ignite package, but with a newer modem.

All the best,

squ6688

@squ6688 can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab and copy the downstream and upstream signal data table and post those in a new message?  

To do that, park your curser in front of the Downstream Overview line, hold the shift key down, and scroll down to the very bottom of the OFDM/OFDMA overview section.  With that entire area selected, release the shift key, right click on that area .... Copy.  In a new message, right click .... Paste.  That should paste in the entire table, as it appears in the modem's user interface.  

The starting point here is to look at the signal levels to see if they show any unusual signal losses which would explain the issue.  

Be aware that in numerous cases, a single contractor tech visit may not solve the issue.  If it hasn't, and that is how it appears, don't hesitate to call tech support and complain about the problems.  Don't let tech support upsell you to the Ignite system.  Before anyone moves from the Hitron modems to the XB6 or XB7 modems which are used for the Ignite TV system, they should ensure that their internet service operates as it should.  I wouldn't expect a modem change to necessarily resolve a poor signal issue, although moving from an environment with internet service, numerous Nextboxes and maybe a Home Phone modem to a single XB6 or XB7 can make a large positive change in the signal levels as seen in the modem.  That can have a positive impact on the reliability of the service, disregarding the impending wifi problems when switching to the XB6 or XB7.  Intermittent cable signal issues are another matter altogether.  That should be fixed before anyone switches to the XB6 or XB7. 

You should be aware that switching to a newer modem doesn't mean that its any better.  The Hitron CODA-4582 modem uses an Intel Puma 7 chipset, as does the Arris built XB6.  Essentially the same chipset but with telephone capability in the case of the Arris XB6.  There is also a Technicolor XB6 which would be the preferred version of the XB6.  That is built with a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset, which has no resemblance to the Intel Puma 7 chipet.  

The XB7 also comes in two versions from what I recall, a Technicolor XB7 using the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset, and an Arris version.  I don't remember at the moment if Arris finally woke up and decided to use the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset, or if they stuck with the Intel Puma 7 chipset.  I'll have to look that up again.  My preferred version would be the Technicolor XB7.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
For the XB7, there’s a Technicolor version and a CommScope version. The CommScope version uses a MaxLinear chip. MaxLinear recently purchased Intel’s “connected home” and their Puma intellectual property but there’s no indication (yet) that they’ll make any devices with a Puma 7 chip. The MaxLinear chip in the CommScope XB7 pre-dates the Intel acquisition stuff. I agree…my personal preference would also be a Technicolor XB7 (if someone is using it in gateway mode with WiFi enabled and if someone wants/needs WiFi 6) or a Technicolor XB6.

By the way, Rogers is currently reserving XB7 devices for people with Gigabit plans. I’m sure there are some agents and techs that will make exceptions but anyone with less than Gigabit will likely get the XB6.
Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 in conversation