cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

audio out to external Soundsystem

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

I just switched to that horrible ignite TV user interface.
One additional problem: I used to have my PVR digital cable box audio out with RCA connected to my sound system externally.
Now that tiny microscopic box has no additional out.
I may find a workaround with a smaller Bose Bluetooth, external speaker, which has a small jack out, and I have a jack cable that has RCA to go into the aux of my older Audio system.
Rogers folks should have a list of question to check on current system to make sure users know exactly what they’re getting into. So misleading and bad customer service: Moore to misleading sales techniques.

*Added Labels*

27 REPLIES 27

Re: audio out to external Soundsystem

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Only thing I would suggest is replace your reciever with a Audio Video Receiver (AVR) then all audio and Video devices would be passed through the AVR. I have a denon 4K AVR with my Blueray, Ignite TV, streaming device, Chromcast all channelled through the Denon for 7.2 (5.1) surround sound. 

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

Again - not a solution but an additional expense - I switched to Ignitve TV to cut my (ballooning) cable bill...

And now you are telling to buy a new device??? Pleeeeease...

So this is not a solution. And techie jargon.... An AVR how does it connect: via bluetooth? 

I have a very good sound system which could play sound from TV. Why buy another one... for a less sound quality I am sure...

Bad customer service at the onset - the staff should have checked how my set up at home is...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChuckTO : What is the make/model of your "sound system"?  If it has an optical input, you could probably use HDMI to the TV and set the TV's audio settings to "external speakers" and connect the optical output of the TV to the input on the sound system.  (Most, but not all TVs have an optical output for that purpose).

If you don't have an optical input on the sound system, there are HDMI to HDMI plus analogue audio adapters that may work, but make sure you check the specs for video quality (they may not work with 4K for example) and reviews.  I'm assuming your "sound system" doesn't have HDMI in/out.

DeeDee440
I've been here awhile

Agreed...just got this ignite! Now I don't have surround sound! I couldn't believe how tiny this entertainment cable box is & no way of connecting my speakers to it! Really bad customer service!

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

It's called evolving technology. Items such as RCA audio/video connections are so old and have been replaced several times over. HDMI has replaced most connection methods becuase it can carry UHD 4k+ video and full spectrum audio.  But good luck. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DeeDee440 : It looks like your post may have been added to this existing thread.  Please read my post above yours.  What is the make/model of the TV and does it have an optical output?  What is the make/model of your "speakers/system". Speakers don't usually connect directly to anything except via speaker wire - there's usually a box or receiver or sound bar involved (what is the make/model?).  It may be able to accept the optical output from the TV.

As mentioned by @Biollw technology marches on and if you have older equipment, it'll need to be replaced or you'll need to find a workaround/adaptor.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers equipment is designed to be connected to the TV, Rogers does NOT make the equipment, it's made by reputable electronics manufacturers, and they are the ones who decide which components and optional accessories are needed,  but the thing is, lots of, the way the industry is headed, lots of expansion connectors is a thing of the past, no one is putting extra connectors on devices because they want to save costs,  that means as the consumer you have to suck it up, or you have to buy third party hardware to give you the same functionality

Look at laptops, they used to have so many expansion plugs and ports on them, now you can't even remove the battery from one without disassembling it,   Same with cable boxes, they used to have rf out, analog audio video out, high def video out, digital optical audio out, now they have just hdmi out and power.

if you want, you can buy a hdmi device to give you analog or digital audio output connectors and connect it to your sound system, once again, I have to repeat myself, this is NOT rogers who decided this, they do NOT make the hardware.  this is decided by the big electronic manufacturers who run the industry.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Others have also suggested connect the ignite set top box directly to your TV and if your TV supports an external audio output analog or digital connections you can connect the TV directly to your stereo speaker system with the appropriate connectors.

My TV has digital audio output connector, so i connected it to my home stereo receiver with a fiber optic toslink cable and I can hear it on all the speakers.

DeeDee440
I've been here awhile
Oh I have an older RCA flat-screen but I had my old cable box/pvr connected to my stereo speakers, & now with this new Ignite box there's no way to connect. My stereo is a little Venture. I don't have high tech stuff.
Now im just using a mini Bluetooth speaker & the audio cuts in & out & it's very annoying! I want my old Shaw box back!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As discussed earlier in this thread, there are always options.

One is to go "through" the TV if the TV has optical output and your stereo has an optical input.

If that's not the case, you can always purchase an adaptor that has an HDMI input, an HDMI output and analogue audio (red/white) output.  Make sure the adaptor meets your needs with regard to the Video Resolution needed by your TV. If you need say 4K, then the adaptor may not be as inexpensive as say for 1080i or 1080p.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the ignite boxes don't have all the external output ports like the old boxes did from years ago, this is a big trend in the industry with new electronics having minimal interface ports compared to older technology.

Just check the back of your TV, look for an Audio OUT jack, if it has it, then you can connect it to your receiver, otherwise it might be Digital out, Coax Audio out, or Toslink,  or no output jack at all, then you need to buy something called an hdmi audio extractor 

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

There are a few ways to get the audio from an Ignite box to an external audio device. 

Probably the best way is to have an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) which has HDMI inputs.  It can extract the audio and play it through speakers connected to the AVR.  This is the typical way for a better Audio-Video system where you have multiple audio and video sources.  The AVR will also act as a switch between your devices as you may have your IgniteTV box, an AppleTV box, etc connected to the AVR.

Another way is using the audio out of your TV as people have described.  TVs often have an audio out in the form of a headphone plug or an optical output (aka SPDIF).  If your audio device has an optical audio input then you could use that.

A third way is to buy an HDMI audio extractor.  You can get those from Amazon for about $30.

By the way - the Ignite Box is much better than the older Rogers digital cable boxes.  The UI is much better and the PVR functionality is vastly superior.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello ChuckTO, can you provide us with an update

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

exactly same inc.  Great yet old analog RCA sound system - now only using small bluetooth external speaker... Will try connecting TV Out though

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

HDMI Extractor - what is this and how to connect?

PS: stop behind so derogatory and one sided - not helping at all: "the Ignite Box is much better than the older Rogers digital cable boxes."

It lacks external connections as other contributors clearly stated.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Chuck, Every vendor on this planet is reducing the number of external connections on their devices, look at laptops, they barely have any I/O ports at all, everything is now wireless or  usb-c.    We AGREE with you that this is UNFAIR That device manufacturers are reducing the amount of input and output ports on electronics, however no amount of complaining will change this, the industry already made up their mind and there is no going back.  We all unfortunately accept this

Look man, I bought an inexpensive hdmi extractor from Facebook marketplace, it intercepts the hdmi signal from a device and gives an Analog RCA AND Digital toslink output. From there, I can connect the digital toslink or analog RCA jacks to my Stereo receiver, sound bar, or  boombox.  the problem of getting the audio to a stereo is solved.

my other tv has the digital toslink out and analog RCA out so I DONT need the hdmi extractor, i just connect from my TV to the receiver or boombox or sound bar and voila

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

At last some helpful reply with constructive attempts to suggest a solution - though very tech geeky....

Here is my TV back (Pic 1).... which one should I use then?

I don't have digital audio out adapter (Pic 2) - only basic RCA cables into my analog stereo.

Yet not working (Audio out to external stereo) if I connect to R-AUDIO-L (Red and White) either top (Red-White next to Yellow) - or at the bottom R-W next to Red-Blue-Green)

IMG_1485.JPGIMG_1486.JPG

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

Looks like this is what I would probably need - from the Digital Audio Out (Optical) and get the RCA Out - https://www.amazon.ca/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Supports-control-dp-B06XDLCHY7/dp/B06XDLCHY7/ref=dp_o...

613hUB4QhwL._SL1500_.jpg

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for sharing the pic,  the pic is worth a thousand words,   the picture tells me your TV has DIGITAL audio output,  knowing this, you do NOT need an hdmi audio extractor, you need to connect the digital audio out from your TV to your sound bar with a TOSLINK fiber optic cable.  if your sound bar is a low end one and does not have it, then you need to buy a new sound bar or buy an adaptor that converts the toslink connector to a rca connector for you to connect to your device which has analog only inputs,   Mind you, none of this has anything to do with Rogers now, its mostly about you owning audio and video equipment but not knowing much about what it is capable of and what adaptors you need to make them work.  I too did not know any of this but I used my free time to study and todo research about it

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChuckTO wrote:

1. Yet not working (Audio out to external stereo) if I connect to R-AUDIO-L (Red and White) either top (Red-White next to Yellow) - or at the bottom R-W next to Red-Blue-Green)

1. That didn't work because those are clearly labelled as INputs, not OUTputs.

2. The device in your second post utilizing the optical output will work, however, unless you have a set of headphones, you don't need the variable output, or the headphone output, so you could get something less expensive.  Also, make sure you enable the audio/speaker output in the TV's settings, otherwise the audio will continue to come out the TV speakers.

3. As discussed earlier in this thread, you may wish to consider an HDMI adapter that has analogue (red/white) audio outputs, but if you have a 4K TV, you'll need one compatible with 4K video signals.  That way it'll work regardless of the TV speaker settings, but that's just an option and those are more expensive than the simple optical to analogue audio adapter, which appear to be available for about $14+.

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 6 in conversation