cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

audio out to external Soundsystem

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

I just switched to that horrible ignite TV user interface.
One additional problem: I used to have my PVR digital cable box audio out with RCA connected to my sound system externally.
Now that tiny microscopic box has no additional out.
I may find a workaround with a smaller Bose Bluetooth, external speaker, which has a small jack out, and I have a jack cable that has RCA to go into the aux of my older Audio system.
Rogers folks should have a list of question to check on current system to make sure users know exactly what they’re getting into. So misleading and bad customer service: Moore to misleading sales techniques.

*Added Labels*

27 REPLIES 27

Re: audio out to external Soundsystem

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I bought a toslink to RCA audio adaptor for $5 on marketplace,   sometimes its very inexpensive to do the things you need, but you need to do your research first.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Like 57 said Those INPUTS have nothing to do with connecting your stereo, those are inputs to bring sound and picture INTO your t v, your tv already has a digital audio output,  this will output any sound you see on the tv including what you are watching from the rogers ignite box,   this is what you need to connect to your stereo, mind you, if you can find a good deal like I did, you can get a digital to analog audio converters for very cheap, I paid $5 for mine on marketplace and mine was brand new.  my tv has the exact same port as yours

the reason we all incorrectly suggested hdmi audio extractor in the first place is because of the unknown, we did not know your TV already had a toslink connector, if we knew this in the beginning, we would not have suggested the hdmi audio extractor,  you dont need one cus your tv already extracts the audio from the hdmi and converts it to a digital jack called a toslink

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

hi "57" - thk you for reply - missed it (sooo many update emails...)

I am connecting my TV to an external sound system - not to speakers only... (Posted later in thread pictures of the back of TV - a Sony TV 40W600B.

Apparently there is a digital sound out (toslink) - can I use this as an IN Aux for a sound system then - with a Digital to Analog converted to RCA out?

Ch.

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

FYI 57 - older tech not compatible with newer tech is also called engineered obsolescence and a part of the ecological crisis and pollution all over the world. Not a real answer...

ChuckTO
I plan to stick around

Hello 57 and others,

Thank you for chiming in.

As indicated earlier - to sum up many threads:

. I use an external sound system (not a sound receiver or speakers) - using the DCC IN (I also use an AUX in Jack3.5 to RCA to plug in an older iPhone as sound)

. In the past - simply used RCA out of the PVR into TV and OUT to stereo IN DCC as RCA

So my options now would be:

A. Digital to Analog (TOSLINK out from TV and to RCA into stereo system - would this be an adequate sound signal)? No volume control needed if not using a headphone

B. HMDI Audio Extractor - though Option A probably cheaper.

Regards,

Ch.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChuckTO wrote:

Hello 57 and others,  So my options now would be:

A. Digital to Analog (TOSLINK out from TV and to RCA into stereo system - would this be an adequate sound signal)? No volume control needed if not using a headphone

B. HMDI Audio Extractor - though Option A probably cheaper.

Either option should work. You mentioned the make/model of the TV, however, what's more important is what is the make/model of the sound system. We can look at the connections and confirm.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChuckTO wrote:

I am connecting my TV to an external sound system - not to speakers only... (Posted later in thread pictures of the back of TV - a Sony TV 40W600B.

Apparently there is a digital sound out (toslink) - can I use this as an IN Aux for a sound system then - with a Digital to Analog converted to RCA out?

Hello ChuckTO,

As someone who has experience in the Audio industry, I have given you a suggestion that works based on the information you provided.  But I do want to comment further,  It does not matter if you are connecting your TV to an external sound system or speakers or sound bar or boombox or even headphones.  The fact is, it is known that older stereo equipment exists which only has Analog audio inputs, an external sound system does the same as a stereo receiver or amplified speaker if they all only have analog audio inputs.  the fact is, your TV set has digital audio output. I also own a TV set with digital audio out, I went and bought a very inexpensive Digital to Audio converter for under $10 dollars.  Any music that is playing on my TV screen regardless if tis from the rogers ignite box or from a blueray player or from a nintendo console, will go out of the tv, then thru the converter, then change to analog, and from there, i can play the sound on a stereo receiver with analog inputs., or even an external audio system with analog inputs.  I also own a stereo receiver with digital inputs too, so in this case i just skip the converter and connect tv directly to receiver.

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 6 in conversation