cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - VOIP

Tedman
I've been here awhile

After switching from Digital cable to Ignite I've found that my voip client no longer works (this is my work phone).

I'm assuming I need to adjust the port forwarding to fix this; does anyone have any odea which ports should be forwarded? (I tried the default port 5060, but that did not solve the issue.

Any suggestions would be welcome.)

*** Added Labels ***

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Ignite TV - VOIP

turkk
I plan to stick around

What is the relationship if any between Comcast and Rogers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's a bit off-topic for this thread, but Rogers licenses the Ignite technology from Comcast.  Rogers attempted to generate IPTV, etc on its own, but in 2016 decided to stop pouring good money after bad.  Rogers implemented IgniteTV in 2018.  Here's an announcement:

https://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/rogers-partners-with-comcast-to-bring-roger...

Here are search results for what you wanted:

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrFGGQH1IdjxHUBtarqFAx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcyMTAwMgRfcgMyBGZyA3...

Other Service Providers, like Shaw, also license this technology.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk wrote:

What is the relationship if any between Comcast and Rogers?

Comcast designed all the hardware and software that Rogers uses for Ignite TV and Internet and related services.  Comcast implemented the X1 platform to deliver their Xfinity services, and they also license their technology and services to other cable companies.  Comcast is in the driver's seat; Rogers (and other X1 licensees) are just customers along for the ride.

turkk
I plan to stick around

I finally got a chance to contact customer support regarding this issue and they were of no help.

It is kind of what I expected.

I guess what I need to do is put the modem/router in bridge mode. My concern is that I may have problems with my ignite TV when operating that way. Does anyone have solid experience with that .

Not sure if the tv signal still gets transmitted from the modem/router when it is in bridge mode.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
You will still get TV if you bridge the Ignite modem. I and many others on this board have bridged their modems and things run fine. Just be aware that if you do have issues, Rogers will not offer support for a bridged setup - you're on you're own.
Search the forums for G's bridge mode setup guide.

turkk
I plan to stick around

Still trying to make this work without using my own router. XB7 here.

I am using obi 202 ata and I find X_UserAgent Port is at 5081. What would changing it to something above 30000 do?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk  I think your best bet would be to contact your VoIP provider (Anveo?) for tech support.  Let them know the problems that you are experiencing, and tell them that you have an Comcast Xfinity XB7 gateway.  They may be able to recommend configuration changes for your OBi202 ATA and make some changes on their side so that their service plays nicely with the XB7.

I don't know of any way to disable the SIP ALG on the Ignite gateways.  There is no option in the UI, nor do we have much control over the gateway's firewall.  If the XB7's SIP ALG implementation is causing problems, even Comcast Tech Support suggests enabling Bridge Mode and using your own router.

A SIP Application Layer Gateway (ALG) or SIP Helper is not necessarily a bad thing.  Protocols like SIP and H.323 were not really designed to traverse Internet firewalls and are not NAT friendly.  SIP ALG is required in many cases.  However, it needs to be implemented properly and the SIP components and endpoints also need to be compliant with current standards.  SIP ALG is needed when you have multiple SIP clients behind the firewall...  also for more advanced situations, like SIP Trunking... but it's really frustrating when SIP ALG breaks things and disabling it causes other breakage.

OBi's support page also has some suggestions if you cannot disable SIP ALG: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/sip-alg/no-setting

I'm not sure what else to suggest at this time.  If your VoIP ATA has an internal firewall of its own, you can also try configuring the XB7 to put the ATA on a DMZ.  However, if you don't enable or don't configure the ATA's firewall correctly, it could be used as a vector to attack your internal network, or worse.

turkk
I plan to stick around

@-G- 

Thanks for all your suggestions. Maybe something will help. If I have any success I will report back.

turkk
I plan to stick around

@-G-  I reran the sip-alg test with firewall off and it came back as negative. Can I then assume that it is not on router ? Is it a perfect test?

If I can assume this I will proceed to find other changes to improve my service.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk did you run the SIP/ALG test as indicated here:

https://support.ringlogix.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/167/38/sip-alg-detector

or did you test the phone and still have problems with it, despite the disabled firewall?

turkk
I plan to stick around

Yes I ran the sip-alg-detector per the link

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk wrote:

@-G-  I reran the sip-alg test with firewall off and it came back as negative. Can I then assume that it is not on router ? Is it a perfect test?

I don't know anything about this utility.

As for the Ignite Gateways, Rogers has provided us with a modem/gateway with no configuration options to fine-tune its inner workings, no logging, and only basic tools for troubleshooting.  I have made a big stink about this in the past, and the gist of the response that I got from Rogers was basically that end customers don't need any of this and that Tech Support has access to all the information needed to troubleshoot problems and support customers.  At this point, I would recommend going back to Rogers Tech Support, especially since your VoIP ATA had been working before you "upgraded" to Ignite.  Perhaps @CommunityHelps  can assist you as well.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk do you happen to have a router handy that you can connect to the modem for test purposes.  If you did have a router on hand, you could disable the modem's firewall and test the phone thru the router, without exposing your network to the internet and its constant port scanning.  Assuming that the SIP/ALG setting is disabled in the router, a test with the phone would really indicate whether or not the SIP/ALG is an issue with the modem in Gateway mode.  If you kicked the modem into Bridge mode, the results should speak for themselves, either the phone works, or it doesn't.  If the phone doesn't work with the modem in Bridge mode, then the SIP/ALG is either enabled in both Gateway and Bridge modes, or there's something else afoot.

turkk
I plan to stick around

@Datalink I don't have a router on hand but will get my hands on one and try that . In the meantime I will be unhappy. My Voip provider(Anveo) was also not much help either.

turkk
I plan to stick around

After many months of troubleshooting I found the problem to be my Dect 6.0 cordless phone. It is an old (10 year old ) system and has three separate handsets. Since all of the handsets had the problem I didn't think it could be the phone. Eliminated phone by replacing and now fine. Also an aside is that I did not have to use my own router so apparently the XB7 does not have the SIP/ALG enabled . My test said that it was not enabled but couldn't be sure. It took awhile but it was worth it. All working fine!

Topic Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 11 in conversation