How to Connect STB to new SSID?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

How to Connect STB to new SSID?

I want to change my SSID. Everything is installed and working great, but now I want to change my SSID. 

Is there a way to tell the TV boxes the new SSID?... do they find it automatically the next time the come out of sleep?

Or the next time they are powered down and up by pulling their power plug???

Or will I have serious problems when they cannot find the gateway?

*** Edited Labels *** 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

@ColdGranite wrote:

I want to change my SSID. Everything is installed and working great, but now I want to change my SSID. 

Is there a way to tell the TV boxes the new SSID?... do they find it automatically the next time the come out of sleep?

There are a few ways that you can reconnect a set-top box after changing your WiFi SSID:

Option 1: Using the WiFi Protected Setup button on the set-top box

1. Press the WPS button on the bottom/front of the set-top box.  (There's a slight concave depression where the switch is located.)  Once you initiate the WPS connection, you will have 2 minutes to complete the process.
  2. Complete the WPS pairing on the XB6 gateway.

Note: If you do not complete pairing process in time, that should clear the previously-stored WiFi credentials from the set-top box.  If that happens, try rebooting the set-top box by power-cycling it.  It should then discover and connect to WiFi automatically, just as it did after you took it out of the box for the first time.

Option 2: Manual connection

1. Initiate the connection manually as follows:  Press and hold the Exit button on the remote for three seconds, then key in the following sequence: Down Down 9 4 3 4 (9434 spells WIFI)
  2. You should now see a screen that says, "Let's connect to your WiFi network".  From there, you can either select a network to connect to (and you will then need to enter the WiFi passphrase manually) or you can select "Connect using WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)" and then complete the pairing on the XB6 gateway.

ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

you must be talking about some previous version....

The "exit down down 9434" does not work on the XR15 remote / Xi6-T tv box.

And I see nothing on the Xi6-T that could be a WPS button. 

The only thing is a series of 6 tiny triangles at the bottom right... but they don't look to be buttons, probably just decoration.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

you must be talking about some previous version....

The "exit down down 9434" does not work on the XR15 remote / Xi6-T tv box.

Strangely, a few others have reported problems with this as well.  It works for me.  You might also be keying the button sequence in too quickly.

And I see nothing on the Xi6-T that could be a WPS button. 

It's on the BOTTOM of the Xi6-T, in a tiny depression on the front side, and it has a label that looks like two arrows pointing at each other, kinda like this:  =><=

(When reading the bottom label, the button is directly over "Xi6-T")

ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

OKAY... thanks... I did find the WPS on the Xi6.

However... on the "exit" issue.

When holding down the exit key for 3 seconds, the flashing on the screen makes it obvious that...

... holding down the key is merely REPEATING "exit" over and over again... sort of like holding a key on your keyboard.

It is not HOLDING "exit" in the sense of a single but continuous press.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

However... on the "exit" issue.

When holding down the exit key for 3 seconds, the flashing on the screen makes it obvious that...

... holding down the key is merely REPEATING "exit" over and over again... sort of like holding a key on your keyboard.

It is not HOLDING "exit" in the sense of a single but continuous press.  

Yes, that's correct.  When you press and hold Exit, you will see the time/progress bar at the bottom of the screen flicker, confirming this.  However, you still must press-and-hold Exit for 3-5 seconds in order for this to work.  I have tried sustained, repeated individual Exit presses and that does not work when trying to initiate that sequence.

ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks... but no joy.

Interestingly, there is a "exit - down - down -2 " sequence, which gives some diagnostic information... and THAT works... as you say, even with the flickering screen... So holding the exit key does do what you say. 

But on the "exit - up - up ..." sequence, it just does not work.

Remember that this is the newer XR15 remote, not the XR11, and the box is Xi6-T , not -A/

Thanks anyway... I'll figure this out.

PS: somebody can teach me how to embed quotes from another post, like you do???

ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

@ColdGranite wrote:

PS: somebody can teach me how to embed quotes from another post, like you do???

Never mind !!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

Thanks... but no joy.

Interestingly, there is a "exit - down - down -2 " sequence, which gives some diagnostic information... and THAT works... as you say, even with the flickering screen... So holding the exit key does do what you say. 

Remember that this is the newer XR15 remote, not the XR11, and the box is Xi6-T , not -A/

I also have (one year old) Xi6-T set-top boxes and am using the XR15 remote.  Our set-top boxes should also be running the same firmware.  Works for me with the XR15 remote, in both RF mode and IR mode.

I don't know why that sequence would work for many here but not others.

ColdGranite
I Plan to Stick Around

@-G- wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

Thanks... but no joy.

I also have (one year old) Xi6-T set-top boxes and am using the XR15 remote.  Our set-top boxes should also be running the same firmware.  Works for me with the XR15 remote, in both RF mode and IR mode.

I don't know why that sequence would work for many here but not others.

When I do that "Rogers-3 seconds , down, down, 2" thing,  I get diagnostics that tell me that my tv box is:

Hardware version 0.1

software: 4.4.0.9

created date:  Oct 8, 2020  ( it was installed here Nov 18)

.. so it might be a newer revision.

But now you brought up another question:  RF mode or IR mode???  It is my understanding that the XR15 puts out BOTH.... IR and RF at the same time for all key presses.  Is that correct?