cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Connect STB to new SSID?

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

I want to change my SSID. Everything is installed and working great, but now I want to change my SSID. 

Is there a way to tell the TV boxes the new SSID?... do they find it automatically the next time the come out of sleep?

Or the next time they are powered down and up by pulling their power plug???

Or will I have serious problems when they cannot find the gateway?

*** Edited Labels *** 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Connect STB to new SSID?

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@-G- wrote:

By the way, in most (all?) cases, you can also press and hold the Rogers (Menu) button instead of Exit when entering magic codes so, try this: Press and hold the Rogers button for three seconds, then key in "Down Down 9 4 3 4"

Yes, somewhere along the line, I learned that.   But it made no difference.  still doesn't work.... 

BUT... it NO LONGER MATTERS!

I got done what I needed:

If you go "Rogers(3-sec) ,down, down, 4", you get a diagnostic page which has a "hold 'OK' for 5 seconds to reboot".  ( I don't know if this is any different from just cycling the power, but anyway...)

After the reboot, it took a long time trying to find my network, probably 5 minutes... It gave up and then gives me the opportunity to enter new network parameters: SSID and Password.  And away it went, works great.

The key is not to give up while it is "connecting to your entertainment experience", trying to find the network.

It took  a really long time before it finally gave up and asked.

Thanks again for all your help...

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

I want to change my SSID. Everything is installed and working great, but now I want to change my SSID. 

Is there a way to tell the TV boxes the new SSID?... do they find it automatically the next time the come out of sleep?

There are a few ways that you can reconnect a set-top box after changing your WiFi SSID:

Option 1: Using the WiFi Protected Setup button on the set-top box

1. Press the WPS button on the bottom/front of the set-top box.  (There's a slight concave depression where the switch is located.)  Once you initiate the WPS connection, you will have 2 minutes to complete the process.
  2. Complete the WPS pairing on the XB6 gateway.

Note: If you do not complete pairing process in time, that should clear the previously-stored WiFi credentials from the set-top box.  If that happens, try rebooting the set-top box by power-cycling it.  It should then discover and connect to WiFi automatically, just as it did after you took it out of the box for the first time.

Option 2: Manual connection

1. Initiate the connection manually as follows:  Press and hold the Exit button on the remote for three seconds, then key in the following sequence: Down Down 9 4 3 4 (9434 spells WIFI)
  2. You should now see a screen that says, "Let's connect to your WiFi network".  From there, you can either select a network to connect to (and you will then need to enter the WiFi passphrase manually) or you can select "Connect using WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)" and then complete the pairing on the XB6 gateway.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

you must be talking about some previous version....

The "exit down down 9434" does not work on the XR15 remote / Xi6-T tv box.

And I see nothing on the Xi6-T that could be a WPS button. 

The only thing is a series of 6 tiny triangles at the bottom right... but they don't look to be buttons, probably just decoration.

@ColdGranite wrote:

you must be talking about some previous version....

The "exit down down 9434" does not work on the XR15 remote / Xi6-T tv box.

Strangely, a few others have reported problems with this as well.  It works for me.  You might also be keying the button sequence in too quickly.

And I see nothing on the Xi6-T that could be a WPS button. 

It's on the BOTTOM of the Xi6-T, in a tiny depression on the front side, and it has a label that looks like two arrows pointing at each other, kinda like this:  =><=

(When reading the bottom label, the button is directly over "Xi6-T")

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

OKAY... thanks... I did find the WPS on the Xi6.

However... on the "exit" issue.

When holding down the exit key for 3 seconds, the flashing on the screen makes it obvious that...

... holding down the key is merely REPEATING "exit" over and over again... sort of like holding a key on your keyboard.

It is not HOLDING "exit" in the sense of a single but continuous press.  

@ColdGranite wrote:

However... on the "exit" issue.

When holding down the exit key for 3 seconds, the flashing on the screen makes it obvious that...

... holding down the key is merely REPEATING "exit" over and over again... sort of like holding a key on your keyboard.

It is not HOLDING "exit" in the sense of a single but continuous press.  

Yes, that's correct.  When you press and hold Exit, you will see the time/progress bar at the bottom of the screen flicker, confirming this.  However, you still must press-and-hold Exit for 3-5 seconds in order for this to work.  I have tried sustained, repeated individual Exit presses and that does not work when trying to initiate that sequence.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks... but no joy.

Interestingly, there is a "exit - down - down -2 " sequence, which gives some diagnostic information... and THAT works... as you say, even with the flickering screen... So holding the exit key does do what you say. 

But on the "exit - up - up ..." sequence, it just does not work.

Remember that this is the newer XR15 remote, not the XR11, and the box is Xi6-T , not -A/

Thanks anyway... I'll figure this out.

PS: somebody can teach me how to embed quotes from another post, like you do???

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@ColdGranite wrote:

PS: somebody can teach me how to embed quotes from another post, like you do???

Never mind !!

@ColdGranite wrote:

Thanks... but no joy.

Interestingly, there is a "exit - down - down -2 " sequence, which gives some diagnostic information... and THAT works... as you say, even with the flickering screen... So holding the exit key does do what you say. 

Remember that this is the newer XR15 remote, not the XR11, and the box is Xi6-T , not -A/

I also have (one year old) Xi6-T set-top boxes and am using the XR15 remote.  Our set-top boxes should also be running the same firmware.  Works for me with the XR15 remote, in both RF mode and IR mode.

I don't know why that sequence would work for many here but not others.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@-G- wrote:

@ColdGranite wrote:

Thanks... but no joy.

I also have (one year old) Xi6-T set-top boxes and am using the XR15 remote.  Our set-top boxes should also be running the same firmware.  Works for me with the XR15 remote, in both RF mode and IR mode.

I don't know why that sequence would work for many here but not others.

When I do that "Rogers-3 seconds , down, down, 2" thing,  I get diagnostics that tell me that my tv box is:

Hardware version 0.1

software: 4.4.0.9

created date:  Oct 8, 2020  ( it was installed here Nov 18)

.. so it might be a newer revision.

But now you brought up another question:  RF mode or IR mode???  It is my understanding that the XR15 puts out BOTH.... IR and RF at the same time for all key presses.  Is that correct?

@ColdGranite wrote:

When I do that "Rogers-3 seconds , down, down, 2" thing,  I get diagnostics that tell me that my tv box is:

Hardware version 0.1

software: 4.4.0.9

created date:  Oct 8, 2020  ( it was installed here Nov 18)

.. so it might be a newer revision.

I have the same hardware/software version.

By the way, in most (all?) cases, you can also press and hold the Rogers (Menu) button instead of Exit when entering magic codes so, try this: Press and hold the Rogers button for three seconds, then key in "Down Down 9 4 3 4"

But now you brought up another question:  RF mode or IR mode???  It is my understanding that the XR15 puts out BOTH.... IR and RF at the same time for all key presses.  Is that correct?

As far as I know, the remote only sends codes using RF to the set-top box.  It issues IR codes to other devices (TV/receiver) that it controls but apparently also sends RF to your set-top box as well.  (Press the Volume Up button.  That should only send IR to your TV, but it will also wake up your set-top box.)  If the XR15 is unpaired, it only sends IR codes.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@-G- wrote:

Yes, somewhere along the line, I learned that.   But it made no difference.  still doesn't work.... 

BUT... it NO LONGER MATTERS!

I got done what I needed:

If you go "Rogers(3-sec) ,down, down, 4", you get a diagnostic page which has a "hold 'OK' for 5 seconds to reboot".  ( I don't know if this is any different from just cycling the power, but anyway...)

After the reboot, it took a long time trying to find my network, probably 5 minutes... It gave up and then gives me the opportunity to enter new network parameters: SSID and Password.  And away it went, works great.

The key is not to give up while it is "connecting to your entertainment experience", trying to find the network.

It took  a really long time before it finally gave up and asked.

Thanks again for all your help...

SS76
I plan to stick around
Ok, got a new router and bridged my Arris XB6 to it. I successfully connected my boxes to the new SSID I created and the signal is excellent. Challenge is, when my router reboots at night to ensure its always optimized, my ignite tv box fails to reconnect, just simply says to wait as it tries to reconnect. The only way to get past this is to manually reconnect the box to the WiFi with the exit down down 9434 method.

I suspect that the box is looking for the old SSID but not sure otherwise.

How do I get the box to reconnect to the new SSID I set up automatically? Oddly enough, if I reset the actual ignite box, it automatically connected to the new SSID no problem. I should add that all my other devices reconnected with no issues.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SS76  I have definitely seen this before, where the set-top boxes do not reconnect when the WiFi network resets.  I think that something in the XB6 facilitates the set-top box's automatic reconnection but this would not work if the external WiFi network was using a different WiFi SSID/passphrase than the one that had been configured in the XB6 prior to disabling WiFi.

In my case, I was using an external mesh network and restarting the mesh would cause the set-top boxes to drop off.  However, all that I had to do was power-cycle the set-top boxes after the WiFi mesh had restarted and they would all reconnect.  I didn't have to go through the "9484" procedure.

SS76
I plan to stick around
I will try the power cycle, and will Google on how to do that exactly, but perhaps if that doesn't work, based on what you said the answer is just rename the Wi-Fi network to the same that I had previously with the same password?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SS76 wrote:
I will try the power cycle, and will Google on how to do that exactly

By power cycling, I just mean restarting the set-top box by pulling the power plug, then plugging it back in again.

but perhaps if that doesn't work, based on what you said the answer is just rename the Wi-Fi network to the same that I had previously with the same password?

That's a bit of a guess on my part.  I know that the XB6 can facilitate the re-connection, and people do not seem to be reporting problems with their set-top boxes dropping off the network when their XB6 gateways restart.

I also know that I had the same problem as you did with my own Wi-Fi solution, when it used a different SSID from what had been configured in the XB6.

I now have the same SSID configured on my Wi-Fi Access Point as what I had configured in the XB6.  I did that primarily to make it easier to reconnect my set-top boxes to the XB6, if I should ever need to fall back to a Rogers-supported configuration.  (Disable the Wi-Fi SSID on my gear, re-enable the Private WiFi network on the XB6, reboot the set-top boxes.)  However, I can't remember the last time that I ever had to reconnect my set-top boxes to Wi-Fi.  I don't know for sure whether having a common SSID configured (even though it is usually inactive on the XB6) played a part, but it may have.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

SS76
I plan to stick around
Okay giving this a try because the power cycle didn't work.

@ColdGranite  Okay, but those diagnostic screens are there for troubleshooting; they are not meant to be used by "normal" users on a regular basis.  There is almost always a simpler, more user-friendly way for users to reset their equipment back to an operational state.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SS76 wrote:
Okay giving this a try because the power cycle didn't work.

Hopefully, we can help get you into a configuration where power-cycling your boxes is the most extreme thing that you will ever need to do to get your boxes back into a working state.

SS76
I plan to stick around
So I put my modem out of bridge mode and just manually disabled both Wi-Fi bands. Then I put it back in bridge mode and restarted my router as is normal to keep it optimized. Once the router was completely restarted, all my devices reconnected to my router's Wi-Fi except for my setup box. The other weird thing is that I still see my old Wi-Fi network with full bars even though I've disabled it and put my modem into bridge mode. Is it possible that the setup box is still looking for the old SSID and if so, how do I stop that from happening?
Topic Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 in conversation