cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads in program guide

I plan to stick around

I've had opportunities to try out Ignite TV on a few occasions and something that very much surprised me is the presence of ads in the program guide.  They appear as rows like regular channels over and over again as you scroll vertically in the guide.  In my experience with Rogers interactive program guides since the introduction of digital television in the early 2000s, I have never seen ads placed in the guide in such a way.  The program guide is a source of information for viewers and to me, with these ads, it takes a lot away from the user experience.  At times it is confusing as well, as you are navigating through program information, expect to see channels as rows, and suddenly an ad appears as a channel row.  Surely, this can be disabled somewhere, right?  At a time when traditional television service providers should be providing more as to keep customers from moving to streaming services, I feel that the placement of ads in this way is a very poor decision.  Unless Ignite TV becomes a free platform, these types of ads should not exist for paying customers that continue to support traditional television.  They did not exist in the guide in 2003 and in 2013, and should not be there in 2023.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ads in program guide

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

They show up if the guide is set to "All Channels". If the guide is changed to "Free to Me" (subscribed channels only) or something else either than "All Channels" then they do not show.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

They show up if the guide is set to "All Channels". If the guide is changed to "Free to Me" (subscribed channels only) or something else either than "All Channels" then they do not show.

I plan to stick around

Good to know!  Thanks!  They appear to be quite in the way of getting the information that you want.  Nice to hear that they are removable.

I plan to stick around

@RogersTony: I see that you accepted the above as a reasonable answer to the original question.  A few follow-up questions for you: If the television box is turned off and then turned back on, is the setting kept?  Why is it that the setting does not stay in place and resets back when the box is turned off and back on again?  Could you please clarify this and provide a complete and thorough answer to the original question?

In the past, it has been possible for customers to hide channels to which they are not subscribed.  I cannot believe that this feature has been removed -- or I am unable to see how to enable it and have it persist as the box is being used from day to day.

@422151819119 : Please go to Rogers - Settings - Preferences - General - Default Guide View and select Free to Me, or Favourites (after selecting your favourites if desired). The Guide will then not revert to All Channels where the ads are.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation