cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XiOne forgets it's a 4K box

HiHoSilver
I plan to stick around

A few weeks ago, my XiOne started refusing to play 4K content, saying

Unfortunately, your TV Box isn't compatible.

To [screen shot is blurred, sorry], your TV Box must be 4K UHD capable.

Learn More

Note that it's saying that the device that isn't 4K capable is the TV Box (i.e. the XiOne), not any of my equipment.

When I click Learn More it takes me to a screen which shows the signal chain and says that the XiOne is an SD device (even though it also shows that its current output is 4K, and even though it will happily display HD content).  The XiOne diagnostics screen correctly reports the list of resolutions my equipment supports (everything up to 2160p60) and that HDCP is working properly.

Rebooting the XiOne fixes the problem (and the same screen then shows it as a 4K UHD XiOne connected to a 4K UHD device), but it only lasts a few days before the problem comes back.

This started a few weeks ago, after nearly a year with exactly the same equipment (XiOne -> modern 4K AVR -> modern 4K TV), no configuration changes, not even any firmware updates on my equipment.

I do note that the XiOne's diagnostics screens show that it's running a software version dated in mid-November 2023, which makes me suspect that Rogers pushed out a buggy firmware update sometime between then and roughly the middle of December when this problem started.

Anyone else having similar issues?

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: XiOne forgets it's a 4K box

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have not had this issue, nor heard of it before.  Some suggestions, which you may already have tried are:

1. Set the output resolution in the box instead of "best available" or whatever that option is.

2. Set the output at 2160p30 instead of 60.  Some people have reported issues with 60 and I don't believe there is any advantage of the 60 setting anyway.

3. Unplug and replug the HDMI cable at both ends a few times to get rid of any potential oxidation.

4. Try a different input on the TV - not always possible.

HiHoSilver
I plan to stick around

Thanks, 57.  I'll work through some of these - the ones that are not too infeasible (like a different input, as you suggested).  It'll take a while to work through them since it takes a few days after a reboot before the XiOne gets confused about its capabilities.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can also call rogers technical support and have them document/report the issue and have them diagnose and  troubleshoot it for you, they get paid to make sure your devices work

HiHoSilver
I plan to stick around

It's been happening less frequently in the last several weeks, but that doesn't seem to relate to anything I tried, because as I was working through trying things, nothing changed ... and then one evening, just before I was going to go to bed, it happened again, and instead of rebooting the box I decided to just turn things off and see what would happen the next day.  And since then it's been much less frequent.  There doesn't seem to have been a firmware update.

Playing around with it, I've also noticed that the problem is more likely to go away if I switch to an HD channel (i.e. live TV) and then back to a 4K channel than if I switch to an HD recording and then back to a 4K channel.  Weird.

Pauly, my experience with trying to get Rogers to troubleshoot these issues is that it doesn't work.  They will tell me to disconnect everything, put it back together, reconfigure everything so that I'm using different inputs on my equipment even if that results in less functionality, etc., and then when that doesn't fix it, they'll say there's nothing wrong on their end and so it must be my equipment.  And even if it's a problem that is being discussed by multiple people here or in another forum, they'll say nobody has reported it and so I must be the only person with this problem.

Hello, @HiHoSilver.

I appreciate your patience and sharing your XiOne concerns. Have you tried @57's suggestions, especially the second and third ones?

You can send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so we can troubleshoot the issue further. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Regards,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation