cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remotely control ignite tv box

blcheff
I've been here awhile

My mother in law is handicapped and we like to be able to remotely control her ignite box to change channels and adjust the volume of her TV. Can this be done?
Txs

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to remotely control ignite tv box

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

What do you mean by remotely control? It comes with a remote. No there is no app to do that. 

blcheff
I've been here awhile
Sorry I meant from my homei to her home.
My mother in law is not capable to change channels volume and reactivate the TV when it becomes idle.
We would like to have control from our home.
Thank you

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

I don't have IgniteTv, but if you can't control somebody else's set-top box, you still might be able to control somebody else's IgniteTv website streams.

I once had somebody remotely access my computer with the standard Windows remote access code that my computer generated. I gave him the code over the phone and watched him setup a sneaky DNS configuration in just a few minutes. If I had a Netflix subscription,, and he knew my login info, I assume he could also pick a movie, start the stream, and even adjust the volume of the stream.

If your mother had Rogers Internet, and a computer attached to the back of her TV (vja HDMI cord, etc.), you might then be able to go to the IgniteTV website, login, choose a channel to stream, and then even come back every few hours to press a button like pause (twice), to avoid the inactivity stoppage.

However, if the online streaming inactivity period is less than 4 or 5 hours, or keeps freezing due to a poor Internet connection, you would have to keep checking the quality of her live streams. But, if you stream On Demand or Recorded content, those streams should be easier to maintain a good-qualiity stream (similar to a streaming service company like Netflix, etc.) non-live stream.

Hower, all of this effort would be useless if streaming services block the remote-access codes, or they expire after a few hours. Plus, if the online inactivity stoppage is less han the 4 or 5 hours of the inactivity stoppage of IgniteTV, that would also make this effort annoying.

blcheff
I've been here awhile
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
That is a bit too complicated for me and not a shute shot. Getting the internet and a laptop there and everything that this dntails is not so simple..
I was hoping for a simpler solution.
Thanks anyways

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation