cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a 9865 (NB3) running Navigatr firmware and I also utilize AnyPlace Web "Manage PVR", as well as RAPTV on my iPad. The Rogers IPG has never been very good, but most of the time it records most of my scheduled recordings. Since January 2016 (post Navigatr?) the IPG has become increasingly less reliable.  Here's a list of recent issues.

1. Before the change to DST the IPG was "incorrect" by one hour for all the scheduled recordings after the time change, as well as the programmes shown in the guide the following week. This is very confusing for people. It's also unnecessary since SARA firmware doesn't do this (I also have 8300HD PVRs.)

2. After the change to DST, programmes that were recorded on the PVR prior to the time change showed as being recorded at times different from when they were actually recorded.  Not only that, but the "recording time" would be different depending on which way you accessed the information. On the PVR itself it would be off by 1 hour. On AnyPlace it would be off by 5 hours. On RAPTV it would be off by 4 hours.

3. This week the daily recordings don't seem to be scheduling properly.  Only 1-2 days instead of 4-5. (And yes, I am aware that sometimes the guide "catches up" with these sorts of issues, but this week it hasn't and recordings have been missed because of it)

4.  I have a scheduled series recording for "Edwardian Farm" on TVO 2AM Tuesday.  The Navigatr IPG shows the programme as "Wartime Farm" with the description for an Edwardian Farm episode.  On AnyPlace or RAPTV it shows as "Edwardian Farm".  If I hadn't noticed, I would have missed recording it on my PVR due to a totally incorrect title on the 9865 IPG.

5. The PVR/AnyPlace/RAPTV uses "name based recording". The problem is that the names of the programmes are constantly changing.  This means that series recordings are missed even if one letter of the name of the programme changes. This has been going on for roughly 11 years now.  As an example, Mercer Report may become The Mercer Report.   "The Fifth Estate" has been listed about 3-4 different ways during the past 2 months!  Rogers, get your IPG provider to give us consistent programme titles. Or write proper firmware that would circumvent these issues. TiVo knows how to...

6. Many of the programmes have "generic" information in the programme description instead of what's actually airing.  For example instead of stating who the guest is on "Mansbridge One on One" it simply states that "Peter interviews Canadians"  There are similar examples for almost all interview programming and late night programming.  I do understand that this information is not always available, but it usually is and the IPG provider is missing information that's available in many places on the web.

7. Currently on Smithsonian Channel (540).  It shows TBA for the entire week.  This happens often on this and other channels..

8. For the Formula One race this weekend, there were several pre and post-race programmes. When I set these to record they showed properly on the 9865, however, on AnyPlace/RAPTV they showed totally incorrectly - as NCAA basketball or SportsCentre.  How weird is that?

9. The "new" tag that is supposed to indicate new programming is often not correct. It's often missing from new programming or it's shown as new when a programme is a repeat. (and yes I am aware that "new" is relative to that particular channel)

10. The user experience is totally different depending on which device, firmware, software, computer, browser you're using.  We should be able to see the same thing whether we're looking at the IPG or recordings at the PVR, from our computer, with our tablet, etc. However, the experience is totally different with different information showing. For example on the PVR, a programme description may show the year of production, while AnyPlace doesn't show it, or vice versa. Or the programme title/description could be competely different.  It's almost impossible for an average user to comprehend all these differences when someone like me with 14 years of heavy Rogers IPG experience and extensive experience on forums, has difficulty.

The above is but a short list of IPG problems. There are many more that I've recorded over the years, but I thought this would suffice to give Rogers some feedback regarding their IPG, which has become increasingly unreliable.  You're driving away your customers with these sorts of problems, without even mentioning Navigatr. Smiley Wink

*** Edited Labels ***

223 REPLIES 223

Re: IPG Inconsistencies

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, it was still mostly TBAs last night for most of Sunday.  Thanks Rogers for finally getting the IPG populated.  I wonder what took so long?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So, I used Home Edition on my iPad to programme Handmaid's Tale for 9PM and 10:06PM Sunday night, which is what showed in the guide.  However, when I reviewed the scheduled recordings list in Home Edition, it showed "TBA" and "Good Behavior", which is what was in the guide yesterday. I checked my PVR and it was properly programmed with the proper Handmaid's Tale listings.  Very strange stuff still happens with Home Edition...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I just checked with Home Edition on my Android phone and Android tablet and the Guide is up to date and both new episodes look like they're at the correct time. Both are older Android versions, 4.1.2 and 4.4.2. Sadly, I can neither schedule recordings nor watch live TV on these devices. Maybe I need a new version of Home Edition.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLRwrote:

1. I just checked with Home Edition on my Android phone and Android tablet and the Guide is up to date and both new episodes look like they're at the correct time.

2. Sadly, I can neither schedule recordings nor watch live TV on these devices. Maybe I need a new version of Home Edition.

1. The guide was fine. It was when I looked at my scheduled recordings in HE that the incorrect information was displayed.

2. Don't know about the version (for scheduling), however, you need the AnyPlace App to stream (which is different from Home Edition) - see link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/my-guide-amp-manage-my-pvr-missing/m-p/415266#M45098

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Turns out there was nothing wrong with my Home Edition apps, they're working now for scheduling recordings. Just Rogers unpredictability. Smiley Embarassed

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This Saturday, FoxSR (409 in my area) will be airing Formula E Qualifying at 10:30AM and Formula E Race at 11:30AM.  When I went to schedule this yesterday, the PVR IPG and Home Edition showed Nascar and Drag Racing.

Today Home Edition and the PVR IPG are showing Pinks and Arenacross at 10 & 11.

Today, Anyplace TV (Web or App) is correctly showing Formula E at 10:30 and at 11:30, although the "info" doesn't contain any useful information like Qualifying or the Race.

What a mess.  I guess I'll have to wait until the PVR IPG and/or Home Edition contains the correct information to programme my PVR since I can't do it from AnyplaceTV (web or app).  If this happened only occasionally, it would be one thing, however, almost all the issues I've outlined since post 1 of this thread continue to plague us daily and weekly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

More on the post above.  It's now less than 2 days from the Formula E race and qualifying, Saturday morning.  The PVR IPG/Home Edition still don't show the correct information.  AnyplaceTV does have the correct information!

I guess I'll have to check the PVR IPG on Saturday morning and record whatever's on at that time...  Babysitting this PVR daily/weekly is getting to be a real pain.  I don't mind the occasional issue, but every week there's something major that's not right and that's without mentioning all the minor issues listed in earlier posts of this thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just like 4 weeks ago, "The Handmaid's Tale", as well as "Hard Sun," are not in the PVR (or Home Edition) IPG for this coming Sunday at 9PM and around 10PM.  I'm hoping that this repetitive oversight will be corrected soon.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/m-p/420986#M46005

As previously, Anyplace TV does have Handmaid's Tale and Hard Sun listed for Sunday evening. Why isn't the PVR IPG and Home Edition properly populated???????

BTW, the Formula E issue (posts above) was never corrected, even just before the event.   I had to set my PVR for "Pinks" at 10AM and record a few hours so that I could record/watch qualifying and the race.  Again, Anyplace was properly populated.  

C'mon Rogers, you've got the data, just put it in the right place!

Hello @57,

As always thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can see on our end that it does not appear to be updated properly either even after a reboot which should force the latest guide info to get pushed to the box. I know how crucial it is to have the IPG updated in order to set your PVR properly. 

I have advised our second level of support of the issue and they advised it should be updated closer to the date of. We'd also like to escalate a Ticket on file so we have a record of the incidents on file which should hopefully prevent these type of issues from recurring as it has in the past. We'll need to pull up your account to send off the Ticket and we can also notify you if we have any updates or require additional information.

Send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can get this taken care of for you. For others who notice incorrect or missing content on the guide and are unfamiliar with our Private Messaging system please Click Here.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony :  Thanks for looking into this.  I see that the PVR IPG contains the appropriate information this morning.  Now I just need to wait for my Series recordings to update themselves. I guess that'll happen overnight tonight. If they don't, I'll set single recordings for these programmes this weekend.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have my PVR set to (series) record "The Fourth Estate", but I noticed that there was no recording scheduled for this Sunday when it airs again.  The reason for this is that the name has changed to "The Fourth Estate Ep 102" on my PVR's IPG and on Home Edition.  This should not happen. The name should not change and the episode number should be in the information, not the name/title.

C'mon Rogers, this isn't rocket science. Since you utilize the rather poor "name based recording", the least you could do is ensure that the name of a series doesn't change.

I just checked and the Anyplace TV app (and web) have the correct title. This is growing tiresome. Why can't my PVR show the correct information;  after all, it's there on AnyplaceTV?  Of course, I can't use Anyplace TV to control my PVR like I should be able to... Grrr.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have my PVR set to series record "The Dr. Blake Mysteries" on PBSW.  It usually airs at midnight Thursday.  I noticed this week that it was not in the midnight timeslot, but rather around 12:30.  I therefore set a single recording for the programme before, just in case. Lucky that I did, because Dr. Blake started on the previous programme at midnight.

I don't know why I have to do so much babysitting.  It shouldn't be necessary.  You should be able to set a series recording and it should record, especially if you don't set it as timeslot or new.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This morning I recorded what I thought was the F1 practice. Unfortunately when I went to watch it now, all I got was Tennis and NBA stuff.

Since I missed this, I want to make sure I've got it set properly for Saturday Qualifying, unfortunately, the recording I have set doesn't show the channel - a complaint we've had since Navigatr was thrust upon us.  Also, Rogers has done away with Home Edition, where I used to check the channel, so I'm basically forced to record both channels where it's listed.  I hope one of the channels actually airs the programme.  Again, another instance of an IPG inaccuracy.

Also, I just checked the AnyPlaceTV guide and it looks like it's different from the PVR IPG. This has got to stop Rogers!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Thanks for the heads-up! I had qualifying and the race both scheduled on TSNH5 (Ch 498) using the IPG last Monday. Now the qualifying recording scheduled has become Sports Centre, and qualifying is actually on TSN3H and TSN4H (Ch 496, 497).  They can't even get the Canadian Grand Prix right until the last minute.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Here we go again. I feel like Charlie Brown.

charlie-brown-football-1.jpg

I started to watch my scheduled recording of the Formula 1 Qualifying this morning from TSN and it was just a load of generic stick-and-ball sports. All I managed to catch was the last few minutes of Q3 live on a different TSN channel.  This has happened  several times before where scheduled F1events on TSN have been switched some time during the week.  I usually check these scheduled recordings against the Guide the night before to confirm, but forgot this time and got fooled again. I realize it's not Rogers fault if TSN changes its mind, but perhaps Rogers could put some pressure on TSN to stop doing it.

RichardF
I plan to stick around
NAVGATR Guide Program Info. Thanks for the laugh

Got a huge chuckle out of the info for The Avengers on channel 50 tonight.   Someone can't tell the difference between a slightly camp British Mod era (60s) spy series on ITV and the current Marvel Comics superhero series.    ROFLOL and thank you.   

Good morning @RichardF!

Glad you found the humour in this mistake! Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the incorrect programme information is often shown in the Guide.

A lot of times we get incorrect information from a similarly-named old programme, or simply generic information.  One thing I've noticed a lot recently is that some programming now has "Null" listed for the programme information. For example, Channel 591, DocHD, Wednesday, July 11, 9AM, Joanna Lumley...  Or the 9PM Wednesday programme on the same channel.

Of course, lots of programming is missing information completely... 

The IPG leaves a lot to be desired.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

One thing I've noticed a lot recently is that some programming now has "Null" listed for the programme information. For example, Channel 591, DocHD, Wednesday, July 11, 9AM, Joanna Lumley...  Or the 9PM Wednesday programme on the same channel.

I don't see that currently (6:25 p.m.) in my SARA Guide, but it's likely not the same as the Navigatr Guide.

However, I often use the SARA search function (* button) to find  broadcasts I'm interested in and lately when searching for TOUR (Tour de France) I'm seeing the some of the French channel broadcasts I don't receive coming up with the description "Null".

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I have new episodes of Elementary scheduled to record Monday nights on Global at 10:00 p.m. It's recording right now and it says Elementary,  but when I go to watch it, it's something called Salvation. Why? It's not a time slot recording but for new episodes of Elementary. The IPG now says Salvation.  Looks like another last minute switch. 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Once again the Rogers IPG shows incorrect information on Saturday at 8AM on TSN5 for the F1 Qualifying. It shows "Practice" instead of "Pre-Qualification" programme at that time.  The information on TSN's website is correct.  

I guess Rogers and/or their IPG provider can't remember how to do things after F1 taking 4 weeks off for summer break.  Smiley Mad

I and others have reported here many times that the Programme Titles should not contain "info", but rather simply the programme title, so that series recordings work properly. You can't set a series recording if the title changes every week from "F1 Spain" to "F1 Belgium", etc.  Other providers can do this properly, why can't Rogers and their IPG provider?

Topic Stats