mms over wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

mms over wifi

I'm finding that no mms', either voicemail 2 texts, or regular mms' are downloading when I'm connected to wifi.

OS there an appropriate setting that needs to be changed? Is it the carrier or device manufacturer that doesn't allow this?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: mms over wifi

Welcome to the Community @Nogs

MMS flows through the data protocols(LTE, 3G),so as long as your device has an active data connection you should good.

What happens is that most devices mask the 3G/LTE symbol when WIFI is active. So it's a little difficult to determine if the data connection is active in the background.  What type of device are you using?

Feel free to chime in with any tips Community!

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only time I was able to use MMS over Wi-Fi is when I was using my old Blackberry which had Wi-Fi Calling enabled in the firmware and I had the Wi-Fi calling SOC code on my account.  When I was in my basement, I would not be able to pick up any Rogers cellular signal, so calling/texting would not work, but as soon as I turned on my Wi-Fi, my phone connected and I noticed the UMA icon lit up on the top of the screen, I knew I was connected to the Rogers network but through my wifi acting as a gateway. Because of this, I was able to not only make calls, but send text messages (SMS) and multi media messages (MMS) through my Wi-Fi connection.

I'm Here A Lot

I'm using a note 5. Yes, it masks it. So again - to my question - is it a Rogers issue or a manufacturer issue. Because I've read that it's up to either/or to decide to permit this
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

clearly not a rogers issue, its mfgr issue but chances are, its so low priority you will almost never see manufacturers fixing these things.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

@Nogs wrote:
I'm using a note 5. Yes, it masks it. So again - to my question - is it a Rogers issue or a manufacturer issue. Because I've read that it's up to either/or to decide to permit this

I have a Samsung S6 Edge with Lollipop OS. I was on the LTE network & then turned on my WIFI, proceeded to send a MMS once connected & it worked. I also sent one back from the other device and it was received while my Samsung S6 Edge was connected to WIFI.

It may be an issue with your device as I was unable to find any settings relating to this, have you completed any troubleshooting yet?

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

you must leave your data connection ON.

I mean if you are on WI-FI but data connection OFF than you will not receive/send MMS.

I'm Here A Lot

I have a simiular issue with Samsung S7.  MMS text only works fine either on or off wifi. I can sent and receive attachments via MMS only when wifi is off. However, if I am connected to wifi, I can send a MMS text message, but as soon as I attach something like a photo, it will not send (when on wifi). Disable wifi and it goes. Yes, data is turned on and I have tried / verified the APN settings. Any ideas out there?

I've Been Here Awhile

this is not a solution to the problem.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have a LG G4 with WIFI calling turned on - it will do voice and text SMS, but MMS will not work over the WIFI on that phone - many discussions with support and I was told that it varies from device to device as to whether the MMS will work or not.

So from what I heard, it seems to be device specific, but what do I know - they have it functioning on some phones, turned off on various plan types, and not running on unlocked phones that aren't their branded ones.

So, I personally don't know what to believe on this topic anymore.  We have it on one phone, told it should work, but never did, and the tech support said, most likely the device is not fully supported, but not a definitive explanation.

So you are right, much of these are "non-answers". Device or Rogers - guess it depends.

Bruce