cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mms over wifi

Nogs
I'm here a lot
I'm finding that no mms', either voicemail 2 texts, or regular mms' are downloading when I'm connected to wifi.

OS there an appropriate setting that needs to be changed? Is it the carrier or device manufacturer that doesn't allow this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: mms over wifi

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@Nogs wrote:
I'm using a note 5. Yes, it masks it. So again - to my question - is it a Rogers issue or a manufacturer issue. Because I've read that it's up to either/or to decide to permit this

I have a Samsung S6 Edge with Lollipop OS. I was on the LTE network & then turned on my WIFI, proceeded to send a MMS once connected & it worked. I also sent one back from the other device and it was received while my Samsung S6 Edge was connected to WIFI.

It may be an issue with your device as I was unable to find any settings relating to this, have you completed any troubleshooting yet?

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @Nogs

MMS flows through the data protocols(LTE, 3G),so as long as your device has an active data connection you should good.

What happens is that most devices mask the 3G/LTE symbol when WIFI is active. So it's a little difficult to determine if the data connection is active in the background.  What type of device are you using?

Feel free to chime in with any tips Community!

RogersAsif

The only time I was able to use MMS over Wi-Fi is when I was using my old Blackberry which had Wi-Fi Calling enabled in the firmware and I had the Wi-Fi calling SOC code on my account.  When I was in my basement, I would not be able to pick up any Rogers cellular signal, so calling/texting would not work, but as soon as I turned on my Wi-Fi, my phone connected and I noticed the UMA icon lit up on the top of the screen, I knew I was connected to the Rogers network but through my wifi acting as a gateway. Because of this, I was able to not only make calls, but send text messages (SMS) and multi media messages (MMS) through my Wi-Fi connection.

Nogs
I'm here a lot
I'm using a note 5. Yes, it masks it. So again - to my question - is it a Rogers issue or a manufacturer issue. Because I've read that it's up to either/or to decide to permit this

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

clearly not a rogers issue, its mfgr issue but chances are, its so low priority you will almost never see manufacturers fixing these things.

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@Nogs wrote:

I have a Samsung S6 Edge with Lollipop OS. I was on the LTE network & then turned on my WIFI, proceeded to send a MMS once connected & it worked. I also sent one back from the other device and it was received while my Samsung S6 Edge was connected to WIFI.

It may be an issue with your device as I was unable to find any settings relating to this, have you completed any troubleshooting yet?

RogersAsif

Sushil1011
I plan to stick around

you must leave your data connection ON.

I mean if you are on WI-FI but data connection OFF than you will not receive/send MMS.

racecoach
I'm here a lot

I have a simiular issue with Samsung S7.  MMS text only works fine either on or off wifi. I can sent and receive attachments via MMS only when wifi is off. However, if I am connected to wifi, I can send a MMS text message, but as soon as I attach something like a photo, it will not send (when on wifi). Disable wifi and it goes. Yes, data is turned on and I have tried / verified the APN settings. Any ideas out there?

yoganerd
I've been here awhile

this is not a solution to the problem.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I have a LG G4 with WIFI calling turned on - it will do voice and text SMS, but MMS will not work over the WIFI on that phone - many discussions with support and I was told that it varies from device to device as to whether the MMS will work or not.

So from what I heard, it seems to be device specific, but what do I know - they have it functioning on some phones, turned off on various plan types, and not running on unlocked phones that aren't their branded ones.

So, I personally don't know what to believe on this topic anymore.  We have it on one phone, told it should work, but never did, and the tech support said, most likely the device is not fully supported, but not a definitive explanation.

So you are right, much of these are "non-answers". Device or Rogers - guess it depends.

Bruce

-Spec-
I've been around

No MMS while WiFi active

The Device:

Google Pixel 128GB 

The Network:

Rogers LTE

The Issue:

Not sending MMS while WiFi is turned on. Delayed receiving MMS.

So after having a miserable experience with Rogers and copious amounts of research later this is a mixture of Rogers network errors and Android issues.

Why it is Rogers' Fault:

Rogers uses 2 APN's like AT&T, one for MMS and one for everything else, this confuses the Android Messenger App.

Why it is Android's Fault:

Who designs an app incapable of determining the best network to use.

After 7 calls to Rogers and confirming the APN each time, Rogers is taking no responsibility and telling me that they (Rogers TSR's) have always had to turn off their WiFi to send MMS messages. When I asked which carrier they all used, it came as no surprise that they all use Rogers.

Coming from the Telus network this came as a shock to me! As I have never had any issue before. The messaging app would always default to the carrier APN over the WiFi Network. Even with Bell I had no issues sending MMS while connected to WiFi.

One TSR even went as far to say that it is an Android problem, as the iPhone he tested was fine.

After getting absolutely nowhere with rogers I contacted Google. Google informed me that I should be having no issues leaving my WiFi turned on while sending an MMS and that the messenger app will always  default to MMS APN anyway.

All I wanted was a Premium Device with a Premium Provider. I tell you what, the device has come at a Premium that is for sure! Rogers fix your stuff! Why do you need 2 APN's? Why is that necessary!?

Good day @-Spec-,

Welcome and thank you for your contribution to the Rogers Community!

I completely understand how having to deactivate your Wi-Fi connection, in order to receive picture and video messages, cause some inconveniences.

We appreciate you took the time to bring this up to our attention and want to look into this matter further.

Could you let us know what is entered in your device's Access Point Name?

It would be ideal if you could confirm whether it matches the following :

APN: ltemobile.apn
Username: Not required
Password: Not required

Server: 172.25.0.107
MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 72 (If that doesn't work try 720, it's already filled in, leave it at what it is)
APN Type: Internet + MMS

As you can see, this APN is for data transmissions and MMS.

Therefore, you should not have to input two independant APNs.

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

yoganerd
I've been here awhile

These are the settings I have on my Pixel.  I have never changed my settings previously.  I still have to disable wifi in order to send/receive MMS.

I also have voice-to-text and I get the MMS notification a minute after voicemails are left, and an SMS 2hrs after that.

I wonder if there's a connection between these two issues...?

I've been waiting for a month to get a response on these issues. Not holding my breath.

Hello @yoganerd,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Having to disable the Wi-Fi connections everytime you want to send an MMS is a major inconvenience and we'd like to take a closer look at this to see what could be causing this issue.

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can investigate this matter further.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

Have struggled with the same problem with my previous android and now my pixel. Tried the Rogers help route, they did this and that on their end and nothing ever worked. When I got my pixel everything was working fine but eventually the mms issue came up again (not sending when wifi was connected and not receiving some mms messages). I was able to solve this by setting the data saver option to allow unrestricted access to messenger.  If Data Saver is turned on, on your device the same may work for you. 

Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage -> Data Saver -> Unrestricted Data Access. Locate 'Messages' app and slide it to allow. 

MMS then sends/receives without any issues. 

worked for me! Required restart after changing the setting.

Thanks for posting.  But unfortunately, didn't work for me. I even tried turning Data Saver off completely. Still I get he message, "Currently unable to send your message. It will be sent when the service becomes available".

Hello, @racecoach

The MMS not working on a WiFi connection can certainly be inconvenient, we can surely try replicating the issue and find the solution. Would you please clarify the following?

• The make and model of the phone
  • Is it a Rogers' device?
  • Which messaging app are you using?
  • Have you tried different messaging apps?
  • Can you confirm the port 80 is not blocked on your router?
  • Is WiFi calling enabled on your phone?

Looking forward to your response. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

• The make and model of the phone: Samsung S7
  • Is it a Rogers' device?: Unlocked, originally from Telus
  • Which messaging app are you using? MMS that comes with the phone
  • Have you tried different messaging apps? Yes. Whatsapp works, but that requires other parties to use the same app.
  • Can you confirm the port 80 is not blocked on your router? Not blocked.
  • Is WiFi calling enabled on your phone? No. I've tried, but Rogers won't enable it because it is not an original Rogers phone.

Hello,

I appreciate the responses. We have limitations when it comes to fully troubleshooting non-Rogers' devices. It seems like when your phone is connected to WiFi the MMS service is getting blocked. 

If the issue is happening on any WiFi network, then it's the device. You can try backing up the device and doing a factory reset. If the issue is happening only when you are connected a particular network, then the issue is related to that router. 

#Community - any more inputs?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

@RogersMoin  - Thanks for the reply. Yes, it happens on all networks. I've pretty much given up on trying to get this to work. It's MMS over wifi, and this functionality should be agnostic to the original provider of the phone. It shouldn't be this difficult to get it to work. I realize that Rogers didn't sell me the phone, so it's not Rogers' problem. But, I find it very frustrating that this functionality does not exist, particularly when it DOES work through other apps like WhatsApp.

Topic Stats