cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei OS updates

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone,

Figured I'd start a thread for the Huawei line of phones at Roger's. This should serve as a great registry for current and upcoming developments.

1st on the docket list for the P20: July 9th security update; June version. I have yet to see this update appear on my phone. This holds true even using the computer firmware software update.

It's currently July 14th and the OS upgrade table has morphed from "June security updates" to "Bug fixes + June security updates"

Can anyone comment on the changelog? I won't inquire about the delay because the most recent update to the chart says it all, I.e "big fixes"

The next anticipated feature I hope will deploy is WiFi calling. VoLTE on the P20 has been phenomenal to date!

***Edited Labels***

224 REPLIES 224

Re: Huawei OS updates

VMS-Guru
I plan to stick around

I'm still waiting for the update. I'm in Kelowna BC and as of this morning (January 21) I've still not received the update. Both OTA and HiSuite tell me I'm running the current version of 8.1.0.120. Smiley Sad

There's still 15 hours left in the day for me here but I'm not hopeful.

mr-auto
I'm here a lot
Well 12 hours left in the day and still nothing here. Much annoyed

Still waiting...this is beyond frustrating. Wish I had just got the Pixel. 

stacher
I plan to stick around
I am starting to feel the same way. I hope we hear something soon.

Trendhoor
I plan to stick around
Nothing here either. Vague responses via Twitter, they're looking into it, releasing in batches, etc. They'll escalate if I dont receive the update by the end of the day, whatever that means.

A straight answer would be really nice guys...

mr-auto
I'm here a lot
Same run around and story I got too when I called Huawei Canada if I don't an update by midnight I'm going to escalate myself right into a pixel phone and put a claw hammer into this p20 pro I'm not selling this headache to anyone else.

stacher
I plan to stick around
I just don't understand why this wasn't escalated earlier. They knew there was an issue. Great way to make others give your product a try. This will be my last Huawei device.

stacher
I plan to stick around

Well I was just on a chat with Huawei Canada and this was the message they told me about the update.  Screenshot_20190121-170535.jpg

My understanding suggests this is a Rogers issue - Huawei has provided the firmware to the respective Telco to distribute to their subscribers, and somehow Rogers is fumbling this one very badly...   

Yes, Pixel is by far the best phone from the update perspective, but that's because they cut out the Telco and release the firmware on their own (and also make it available on website to download and flash offline).  At the same time, their phone has sub-par spec, especially when considering the price...   I replaced my Pixel XL with P20 PRO, and I am super happy with the hardware (the battery especially) and the tweaks they did to the Android firmware is actually quite useful.   The only thing I miss is the monthly security updates.

Huawei support people are actually way more helpful in this matter.  They explained exactly what's going on with the process.  Good luck getting hold of someone at Rogers support who understands anything about Android firmware.

Trendhoor
I plan to stick around
It's odd that Rogers hasn't addressed the issue here in this thread, other than providing an incorrect release date range. Twice.

Almost like they're avoiding the issue or something....

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around
I dunno if the entirely true

Bell Telus people are in the same boat according to xda and mobilesurup

stacher
I plan to stick around
Funny. When I talked to Huawei today, theyy mentioned that if I am not receiving the software I can take it to a Huawei Repair centre to see if they can push it to my device. There is no certainty that this will work and they alluded it was a Rogers issue. I am at a loss and I'm getting fed up with no support for this device or knowledge about why the update has not been sent to all devices yet since the software has been available for more than a month. So something will have to give shortly before I use this device as a paperweight.

prestonnfs
I've been here awhile
@RogersDarrell any news? No update as of Jan 22nd.

mr-auto
I'm here a lot
Worn out update button here still no update on p20 pro in Winnipeg I've already started looking for a pixel this runaround is rediculous.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Good morning Community!

We have received an update from Huawei Canada late last night, and unfortunately its not the greatest news. But there is more detail in their explanation (that was not shared with us last time).

The details are as follows:

For the P20, Huawei Canada are continuing to drag the rollout from January 16th through to February 2nd.

For the P20 Pro, there is a little more complication, but added bonus. Huawei Canada will now release Android Pie which includes the January security update. The rollout for those who still do not have Android Pie will begin January 21st and is to be fully completed by February 12th.

The rollout for those already on Android Pie will begin January 21st and be fully completed by January 28th.

Trendhoor
I plan to stick around
What a joke. If I wasn't commited to this phone for 2 years I'd get rid of it.

Worst support experience with a phone I've ever had.

Trendhoor
I plan to stick around
Wait, so the kindly Twitter @RogersHelps lady who said you were collecting IMEI's to push out the update was incorrect?

Good to know everyone over there is in the same page.

Condotta1
I plan to stick around

@RogersDarrell The disheartening thing about this is that we know there thousands of units already running the new o.s without any troubles (My wife for one, who has the same unit as i). This makes it hard for us to believe that there actually is a problem. Especially when those who have contacted Huawei and been told that the problem is not with them but with Rogers. And to make it worse, we always get the bad news right at the 11th hour. 

I now truly believe that, regardless of where the problem lies, Rogers & Huawei both knew that this was going to happen but announced the release early just to sell their hardware during the pre-christmas rush. 

Had Rogers & Huawei not have announced the upgrade, they would have lost a fortune in pre christmas sales. 

THIS IS JUST CRAZY. 

jlkjlk
I plan to stick around
I was mentally prepared the update wont be like iOS, so its simewhat expected. Plus the phone didn't lose functionalities from when I first purchased it, still offer amazing battery life and photos

stacher
I plan to stick around
While we appreciate the transparency on the issue, there has been delay after delay in getting updates for this device and although I'm optimistic that I will get it this time around, I am reluctant to because I can almost guarantee that there will be yet another issue. Btw, why are they now issuing a security update included in the EMUI 9? Wasn't this package already sent out to the carrier's? Just curious now.