cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei OS updates

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone,

Figured I'd start a thread for the Huawei line of phones at Roger's. This should serve as a great registry for current and upcoming developments.

1st on the docket list for the P20: July 9th security update; June version. I have yet to see this update appear on my phone. This holds true even using the computer firmware software update.

It's currently July 14th and the OS upgrade table has morphed from "June security updates" to "Bug fixes + June security updates"

Can anyone comment on the changelog? I won't inquire about the delay because the most recent update to the chart says it all, I.e "big fixes"

The next anticipated feature I hope will deploy is WiFi calling. VoLTE on the P20 has been phenomenal to date!

***Edited Labels***

224 REPLIES 224

Re: Huawei

RogersTony

Hello @revhappy,

Thank you for creating this new thread! I know how much of a buzz Huawei is making these days, especially in North American markets. 😃

In regards to the July 9th security update, it is sent out in batches so it could take time for every device to get updated. Hopefully, your device receives the update within the next week or so. If there have been any issues with the update there could be delays but we will do our best to ensure the OS Upgrade Schedule is up-to-date.

If there is anyone in the Community who has received the update on their P20 device or has any comments feel free to chime in!

RogersTony

VliciousV
I've been here awhile
I've just ordered the pro version of this product and awaiting delivery. This information it's good to know prior to receiving my product.

confyzone
I plan to stick around
@RogersTony

I recieved the update for my P20 Pro around the 24-25.

I feel as though security updates should just be pushed asap because sometimes being a month behind can lead to massive vulnerabilities.

I can understand complete OS upgrades needing time as those will mess with basebands and you'll need to ensure all are working for the Rogers network.

Last point is that the P20 Pro is on Android 8.1 not 8.0 so to people not technically inclined looking at the OS Upgrade List, they may assume their device won't get the update.

Re: Huawei OS updates

leadsuxx
I plan to stick around
Why does it always take so long for updates to get pushed to my phone?

It's now the end of September and I still haven't received the security update from August.

It would be nice if I knew that my phone was secure.

Good morning @leadsuxx!

Welcome to our Community!

I know that security updates are important... and they're especially important to our security-minded Android users!

Which model Huawei device are you using? Please let us know so we can provide you with the next steps!

Regards,

RogersCorey

leadsuxx
I plan to stick around

RogersCorey

I am using the Huawei P20 Pro.

Do you know when the next update should be available?

@RogersCorey wrote:

Good morning @leadsuxx!

Welcome to our Community!

I know that security updates are important... and they're especially important to our security-minded Android users!

Which model Huawei device are you using? Please let us know so we can provide you with the next steps!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hey @leadsuxx

Thank you for providing us with your phone's make and model.

As per our OS Upgrade Schedule which can be found here, the August Security Update for Huawei P20 Pro is available now to be downloaded. 

This is great news, Just as an FYI, the update is sent out in batches so it could take time for every device to get updated. I am confident, you will receive your update soon. 

Thanks for your patience. 

RogersAli

murrayross
I've been here awhile

I just got my new phone and was surprised/disappointed that it does not support wifi calling (although on the website it says it does).  Is this a rogers thing and when will it be fixed?

Hey @murrayross,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums, we're glad to have you! Thanks for the post and congrats on getting your new phone, that's very exciting!! 😀

You mentioned that the Wi-Fi Calling feature does not work on your new Huawei. Can you please clarify which model you have?

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I have the p20 pro

Thanks for clarifying that for us @murrayross! It's greatly appreciated!

At this time, the Wi-Fi Calling feature is not available on the P20, but it is available on the Mate20 Pro. You mentioned earlier that you saw the feature included in the specs online...may I ask which website you were looking at? I did check the Huawei Canada website as well as on Rogers.com and could not find it in the specs. 

RogersLaura

Dave80
I'm here a lot
Hello, I just got a P20 Pro from Rogers and preformed a system update, but lastest one is September? My Samsung S7 just got November security update yesterday. Is this normal? The page you listed above only shows P10, P10 Pro and others with Nov update.

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post @Dave80,

I know security updates are important. We update the list regularly as new information comes in. 

Stay tuned 🙂.

RogersZia

Last night I went into a Rogers store in order to upgrade to the Mate pro.  They told me that it does NOT have wifi calling. I have spent hours trying to investigate this, and each person gives me different information.  I'd really appreciate having the definite correct info.

Thanks

Aterry
I'm here a lot

I would really like some info on when the Anroid Pie update is coming (Emui 9) I know an exact date cant be given but some info on when to expect it would be nice as most other new flagships are receiving it or have announced when they are getting it. Having the new OS is important to me. 

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Aterry,

Welcome to the community!

Totally understandable! Keeping current with the most recent available updates is important to me as well. Outside of Google Pixel and Apple iOS there is a wide degree of variability in terms of timelines for updates. Currently EMUI 9 is not available in North America for the P20 and P20 Pro however it may become so in the near future as the Chinese stable version is rolling out.

RogersAndy

VMS-Guru
I plan to stick around

Hi @RogersYasmine,

You mentioned that you've looked at the Huawei specs for the P20 Pro and cannot find any reference to Wi-Fi calling. If you look at this link (https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/phones/p20-pro/) and download the Mobile Phone User Guide for EMUI 9.0 (not yet available on Rogers), there's a reference on page 29 to Enabling Wi-Fi calling:

Enable VoLTE to Enjoy HD Calls
l Some carriers may not support this feature.

l Enable VoLTE calling: Turn on VoLTE HD calls.
l Enable Wi-Fi calling: Turn on Wi-Fi calling.

The previous version of the manual for EMUI 8.0 has a similar reference to Wi-Fi calling on page 43:

Use VoWi-Fi for a New Calling Experience
You can use VoWi-Fi to make voice and video calls in any location that has a Wi-Fi network, even
when there is no mobile network reception.
This feature must be supported by your carrier. Contact your carrier for more information,
including fees and charges.
Open Dialer, go to > Settings > Wi-Fi calling, enable Wi-Fi calling. Touch Mode and
follow the onscreen instructions to set the preferred network.

So it does appear that the P20 Pro can support Wi-Fi calling but it's just not enabled on the Rogers version of the software.

VoLTE is great for call quality but VoWI-FI would be even better and work in locations where there's poor or nonexistent cellular access.

Thanks,

Fred

Hello, @VMS-Guru.

I appreciate your research and thank you for posting the device link. In my experience, certain features may not become available to us due to many variables. Please stay tuned to our OS Upgrades page for the updates. 

Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,

RogesMoin

So it had been listed on your OS schedule that the Pie update was coming by Jan 14 and today the P20 was removed from that list. I have tried contact Customer service and they just stonewalled and provided no answers. This is so frustrating and I would like to know what is happening. With all that is happening with Huawei in the news having no clear answers from Rogers makes me think I made a mistake in purchasing this phone and sticking with Rogers when I upgraded to it. This is very strange and frustrating. 

zero2
I've been here awhile

FYI Bell and Telus are rolling out 9.0.0.160 (C792E3R1P9) for P20 Pro.

I'd assume Rogers has approved, just its a gradual rollout and you should see it "soon".