cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Area Expansion

Sunfox
I plan to stick around

So, in my hunt for a new house in the Stouffville area (north of Markham) one of my wants is, of course, Rogers service. Now, a good chunk of the area I'm looking in is indeed serviced. But I note that one enclave I was looking at isn't. However, existing Rogers trunk lines come up to the edge of the same concession block (as of 2014 Google street view), which measures 1.3km away from the start of the development. Yeah, certainly not a short distance, but also not particularly far in the grand scheme of things.

Now, I'm well aware that these types of inquiries are generally a waste of time, as Rogers does as Rogers wants when it comes to servicing. I know it has to be worth their while financially. But what qualifies an area as being worth their while? Bell certainly runs their crummy lines everywhere. How can you tell if Rogers will ever expand? How can you point out a potential service area to Rogers?

This is a pretty rural region overall, however this one small area has about 80 estate homes close together, plus another dozen or so properties on the route to it, so seems like the outlay could eventually be recouped.

Any clue if further information is available on this subject matter?

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Service Area Expansion

RogersMoin

Hello, @Sunfox

Thank you for posting a detailed query in the Community. I appreciate your wanting of Rogers' services in your new home. We definitely want to provide our services to you and continuously expand our network. However, they are many variables and the factors you have stated will play a role in the expansion. The postal code lookup tool on rogers.com will show up the service availability when the expansion is completed, thank you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

RogersMoin

Hello, @Sunfox

Thank you for posting a detailed query in the Community. I appreciate your wanting of Rogers' services in your new home. We definitely want to provide our services to you and continuously expand our network. However, they are many variables and the factors you have stated will play a role in the expansion. The postal code lookup tool on rogers.com will show up the service availability when the expansion is completed, thank you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

From what i have seen in a few places.. you sometimes have the builders of the subdivision to blame, especially if they are newer.
There has been cases, where the builder gets in deal with one provider or another.. and then ONLY lays lines for that service (say just phone lines, not cable).  

You would be suprised what the costing is for running the lines after the fact, when they are all to be burried.
At my current work location, mind you it was for a fiber run (so slight increased cost there), it was almost 30k to do under one street and one driveway, and about 300m.
To do a whole subdivision.. can be insanely costly to do after the fact.

Sunfox
I plan to stick around

Yeah, I'm pretty certain whomever developed the enclave didn't feel it was important. (No idea when it was done, some houses seem 10 years old, others are still being built.) Which, as a guy with 20+ years on the net, is simply insane. It would be different if there was, say fiber or even Bell Fibe to compensate... but there's just old "try your luck" slow DSL which just isn't going to work.

I can see Rogers eventually moving in, I mean there's not that many opportunities to recoup their investment for deploying service to that community in the first place. But, doesn't help when there's absolutely no timeline, and it could be another 20 years. 😛

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, and thats the problem 😞

I know an area near us, which isnt serviced completely by rogers (some of the town is, some not).
But they are in the process of a HUGE boom in the town, like building enough houses to like double the towns population.
Worth the investment to then bring the services in/around? Sure.. they will get that return on investment.

Unless you could get a wack of people in that area to say 'sure i'll sign up', its probably just a waiting game 😞

I hate to say it, but Internet for me is very important.. and made a big deal in where I moved.
My brother in law is much the same.. but he wanted to move more into the boonies, away from the biger cities... till he realized that he would barely be able to get internet.  Changed his mind very quickly.

Sunfox
I plan to stick around

Yes, high speed internet is VERY important to me as well, and if I can't get it at an address, I simply will not be buying that house. Yes, the biggest purchase in my life is totally being dictated by a $90/month service's availablility! I will sacrafice in a lot of other areas (town water vs well, septic tank vs sewer, land vs no land) but simply can't on high speed internet!

Frankly, I might even spend five figures to get it installed at a new address, but it's not like Rogers will even talk to me about doing that, nor offer a "realistic" quote (ie. the 30k mentioned could never be itemized because that's the "screw you, you're desperate" price and not based on any real-world costs).

Which is why when 99.9% of realtors don't advertise whether high speed is available or not on "rural" listings (even in situations when I personally know it is), I just shake my head. They're clueless. That's a major selling feature in my mind, but they'd rather tell me about the granite countertops and coffered ceilings.

I was hoping to get out of Markham and go to the semi-boonies (not the middle of nowhere, more on the edge of a town) but that's looking harder and harder to accomplish while keeping decent internet.

jkslindsay
I've been here awhile
We're looking at buying a property near Erin ON (tenth line) and the current owner relies on rocket stick / wireless, which would be a deal breaker for us (need to be able to work from home with reliable high speed, at least 50-75mips). Other properties along that road seem to have Rogers, but for some reason they do not. Is there someone (email / specific business development team) that we could contact to ask about what it would take (technically / cost) to run a line from the trunk to the house? Waiting for it to show up in the tool is a non-starter as there is no way the purchase is going to happen without knowing it's possible (and the tool works by postal code, and all of the town of Erin plus surrounding rural area are a single postal code). Thanks, Stewart

Hello, @jkslindsay

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. My household members work from home as well so I know first hand the importance of reliable high-speed Internet service. The Internet service is definitely one of the top priority items in making residence relocation decision.  

We can reach out internally to find out if the property you are interested is serviceable. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can gather required information. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

All the best!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

jkslindsay
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the prompt response, RogerMoin. I'll gather the information and send the PM.

Rgds,

Stewart

Internet

Please confirm if it is possible to get high speed internet service extended to  Tenth Line, Erin, Ontario and, if so, what is the process or who do I speak to?

Hi @Katydot,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

I can see how important a reliable high speed internet connection can be in this day and age. Please follow the steps listed in post 8 of 10 in this thread. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

RogersZia

Robert99
I plan to stick around

Rogers internet services

Hello.i live in Brampton near Clareville conservation area and bell and rogers internet were not available forever.(phone line only from bell).bell finally provided internet service (dsl) and I'm happy with the connectivity,but limited to 25mbs download speed.everyday browsing/gaming is fine but when it's time for game downloads I wish I had faster speeds.i always envy my friends when they tell me they can download a big game or game update patch in several minutes and I'm always the last one waiting for the download to finish.whenever I see cable trucks in my area I always stop and ask them is rogers services ever going to be "available"in my area and they tell me it's on the order.i always check rogers online as well but nothing seems to change.

so my main question is,rather then talking to a rogers support technician (they really can't give an answer and it's understandable) is there anyone else I can call or talk to regarding if/when services will ever be available in my area?????I would really like an answer to give me some clarification so perhaps I can stop getting my hopes up.

Best regards!

@Robert99 wrote:

Rogers internet services

Hello.i live in Brampton near Clareville conservation area and bell and rogers internet were not available forever.(phone line only from bell).bell finally provided internet service (dsl) and I'm happy with the connectivity,but limited to 25mbs download speed.everyday browsing/gaming is fine but when it's time for game downloads I wish I had faster speeds.i always envy my friends when they tell me they can download a big game or game update patch in several minutes and I'm always the last one waiting for the download to finish.whenever I see cable trucks in my area I always stop and ask them is rogers services ever going to be "available"in my area and they tell me it's on the order.i always check rogers online as well but nothing seems to change.

so my main question is,rather then talking to a rogers support technician (they really can't give an answer and it's understandable) is there anyone else I can call or talk to regarding if/when services will ever be available in my area?????I would really like an answer to give me some clarification so perhaps I can stop getting my hopes up.

Best regards!

The only way would be calling the Rogers Sales Team, or send a PM to @CommunityHelps asking when your area will get service.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Robert99I would call Rogers and ask them to check your speed. You can probably do that yourself on line anyway. If it's not as advertised, Rogers needs to fix it. I think 25 Mbps is fantastic for DSL. The fastest DSL I get from my ISP is 15 Mbps (I get 13 at best) and it's adequate for Netflix and most other stuff if there aren't too many family members on my WiFi, but it does take an hour to post a 3 minute video to Facebook with a maximum upload speed of 1 Mbps.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Robert99
I plan to stick around
I actually have Bell and was inquiring about if rogers services would ever be available in my area and whom to talk to get a proper answer..thx for your reply though.

Hello @Robert99,

We look forward to seeing you be a Rogers customer Robot Happy!

You can check availability in your area by entering your postal code here or you can reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to assist you. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

RogersZia

questions about tv service

Just wondering will Rogers be offering tv service in Burlington Ontario L7t4h3 in the near future

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@browser57:  I believe Burlington is Cogeco country.  I don't believe there are many (any?) areas of the country that have two cable service providers.  It is simply too expensive to "overbuild" (have two cable companies in the same area).

It's possible, but currently unlikely that Rogers would take over Cogeco, so that's probably also not going to happen.

Rogers have purchased some smaller areas in the past (Mountain, Aurora, etc) or "swapped" areas with other major cable providers like Shaw, however, you're unlikely to see Rogers in Burlington unless it's some sort of buyout.

Garytwizz
I've been around

Does Rogers have any internet service in Virgil Niagara on the lake? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Garytwizz : Based on the following link it looks like it, however, you would need to call to see if your specific location does.  Sometimes one side of the road can have it while another doesn't.

https://www.findinternet.ca/en/niagara-on-the-lake-ontario

Edit, upon further review the above link seems to list just about everybody and has an * that you should call.  I guess you should call.  😉  I didn't think Rogers was in that area.  I thought it was Cogeco country, per my previous post 18.

You can check Cogeco availability using the following link:

https://www.cogeco.ca/en/contact/shopping

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Garytwizz : I found the following perhaps useful website:

https://www.wrswebsolutions.ca/index.html

Went to Ontario, Cable:

https://www.wrswebsolutions.ca/index.html#Ontario

Clicked Virgil and got:

https://www.wrswebsolutions.ca/Virgil-High-Speed-Internet-Service-Provider-Cable-Fibre.html

Hope that helps.  Looks like they do use the Cogeco backbone.

Topic Stats