cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Vacation suspension of Internet/TV service

Mira2018
I've been around

Hi,

My mother had to extend her stay in another country due to health issues and I would like to know whether I can ask Rogers to suspend her TV/Internet services. Is this possible, what is the process and how much will I have to continue paying while service is suspended.

Thank you for all the help you can provide

Mira2018

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good evening @DianaQ,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Temporary cable suspension offer is definitely a convenient service for snowbirds. I'd like to clarify that existing customers with a residential account and a minimum 3-month tenure can suspend their Cable services for a period of 2 to 6 months (60 to 180 days).

You can suspend your services twice in a 12 month period for a total of 6 months.

Example 1: If you suspend your service from January 31, 2017 until July 31, 2017, you'll be able to suspend your services again starting January 31, 2018.

Example 2: If you suspend your services from January 30, 2017 until April 30, 2017 and suspend them again from June 30, 2017 until September 30, 2017, you’ll be able to suspend your services again on January 30, 2018.

Hope this helps.

RogersZia

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41

RogersMaude

Good day @Mira2018,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear your mother has health issues. If you'd like, you can definitely put her services on hold.

You can suspend services twice in a 12-month period for a total of 180 days (~6 months). 

The duration of a given suspension must be for a period of 60 to 180 days (~2 to ~6 months). 

You will only pay $5 per month per suspended service.

When suspending Internet:

• You’ll be able to access your Rogers Yahoo! webmail.
  • If you choose to keep your Rogers Online Protection Premium service, we’ll continue charging you full price.

Your first invoice after the suspension is applied may include prorated charges and/or credits for the period between the suspension start date and your billing cycle close date.

• Payment Requirements:
    • Make sure you keep making your regular payments to keep your account up to date.
    • If you’d like, you can pay these fees in advance or you can add the pre-authorized payment option to your account.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

We are wintering in Florida and left Canada on Nov 4th.  Today I contacted Rogers to advise that we needed our internet/cable placed on vacation b.  We were advised that the monthly fee/service has risen from $5 to $10 effective this past weekend.  This 100% increase is not acceptable and does not bode well for the "customer service" that Rogers promotes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Duncan1 wrote:

Today I contacted Rogers to advise that we needed our internet/cable placed on vacation.  We were advised that the monthly fee/service has risen from $5 to $10 effective this past weekend.  

If you've got internet and cable then it's $5/service which comes to $10?  Or are you saying it's now $20 for you?

Hi Community,

Effective November 7, 2018,  the temporary suspension fee is $10 per month for Cable and Internet services. RHP services will remain at $5 on temporary suspension. 

The $10 per month rate will only take effect for customers who go on seasonal suspension on or after November 7. Any customers already on seasonal suspension will continue with their current rate of $5 per month for each suspended residential services.

RogersZia

I just spoke to Rogers and was told that the limit of the services is now 160 days and it does not refresh at the end of the year. 

I was in the US from January 5 to March 28 2018 and this means that I can only put my service on vacation from November 30 to February 24.  I can put it back on vacation on March 29. 

As a snowbird that usually spends at least 5 months in the US I will be penalized every year because of the way they calculate the 6 months and the loss of 20 qualifying days.

In my opinion this is  cash grab and I will be looking for another provider when I get home.

Good evening @DianaQ,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Temporary cable suspension offer is definitely a convenient service for snowbirds. I'd like to clarify that existing customers with a residential account and a minimum 3-month tenure can suspend their Cable services for a period of 2 to 6 months (60 to 180 days).

You can suspend your services twice in a 12 month period for a total of 6 months.

Example 1: If you suspend your service from January 31, 2017 until July 31, 2017, you'll be able to suspend your services again starting January 31, 2018.

Example 2: If you suspend your services from January 30, 2017 until April 30, 2017 and suspend them again from June 30, 2017 until September 30, 2017, you’ll be able to suspend your services again on January 30, 2018.

Hope this helps.

RogersZia

KOrr
I plan to stick around

If I pay Rogers I should be able to suspend my t.v. for a month and not a minimum of two months? I called and spoke to a representative this evening and I was told to suspend my t.v. for two months and then call after one month to have it turned back on? My worry is that it won't be turned back on and I will be without cable t.v. for a month?? This is totally not fair?

I am a customer, If I choose to have my newspaper suspended while I am away this is certainly not a problem?? Why is it a problem with Rogers?   

Good evening @KOrr,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. 

I realize you may only need to suspend the services for one month however there is a minimum two month requirement for a temporary suspension at this time. In addition, please be advised that you'll have to pay a one-time Early Return Fee of $49.99 plus tax if you were to remove the suspension before the minimum 2 month period is over. There are costs involved with the request and restoral of the service(s). We charge our customers $49.99 plus tax rather than bill back the full rate of the service(s) that were ineligible for the suspension.

RogersZia

KOrr
I plan to stick around

Why was I not informed of this when I spoke to the representative last evening. I was told that I could simply call and say that I am back and ask for my Roger Cable to be turned back on???? There was no mention of any cost to have this done? Then I was told I have to give at least 30 days notice to have my cable suspended, so I replied yes. . yesterday was Jan 28 and I wanted it suspended Feb 28th. . .No I was told I would have to call back today to make arrangements for this? Why is Rogers so difficult to deal with? 

Hello @KOrr,

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry to hear you have not been made aware of the $49.99 reactivation fee, when you originally called about the temporary suspension. I understand that this information might not please you. On the Community, we only post verified and accurate information.

If your monthly cost is three times that amount, it might still be worth it for you to proceed that way!

If you would like our assistance with this situation, you can reach out here, by private messaging our @CommunityHelps inbox. You can learn how to send a PM, here.

RogersMaude

EWYL
I've been around
I just called to suspend service. It now costs $10 per service per month, including the home phone.

KOrr
I plan to stick around

At least they are willing to do it now? I wanted to cancel my t.v. and internet for one month as I am away pet sitting for people who are in Florida for a month but I was told it had to be a minimum of two months. I would gladly pay the $10.00 because I would save well over $130.00 for the month!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Per post 7 & 9 of this thread, I believe the 2 month minimum still exists.  (or you end up with an Early Return Fee of $49.99 plus tax).  The mods may be able to advise if this has changed and provide new information?

enosbones
I plan to stick around

Its not clear how Rogers calcuates the 12 month period.

I had suspended from Feb 2, 2018 to May 10, 2018 , about 97 days.

Then I wanted to suspend from Jan 18, 2019 to May 15, 2019 but I was told I couldn't because I exceed my 6 months within 12 months!!  So I could only suspend from Jan 18,2019 to April 10, 2019.   I can't see why, as a snowbird, I cannot suspend from mid-Jan to mid-May each year without this weird overlap.  So I have to pay from April 10 to May 15 when I'm not even in the country.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@enosbones wrote:

I had suspended from Feb 2, 2018 to May 10, 2018 , about 97 days.

Then I wanted to suspend from Jan 18, 2019 to May 15, 2019 but I was told I couldn't because I exceed my 6 months within 12 months!!  So I could only suspend from Jan 18,2019 to April 10, 2019.   

If I understand the rules correctly, you could have started your suspension this year on February 2, 2019 (12 months after you started last year).  You would have then only needed to pay for January 18-February 2, which is only 16 days, instead of the 35 days you're paying.  The agent should probably have provided you with that option.  See post 7 of this thread.

enosbones
I plan to stick around
They need a plan for "snowbirds" that enables a person to suspend Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr (4 months) and then again in Nov+Dec (2 months) for a total of 6 months twice per year, without the rolling time period that causes confusion.

I don't think Bell has this restriction and I hear Bell also lets you do the suspension online yourself without involving an agent. I will be doing more research on this when back in Canada.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@enosbones wrote:
They need a plan for "snowbirds" that enables a person to suspend Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr (4 months) and then again in Nov+Dec (2 months) for a total of 6 months twice per year, without the rolling time period that causes confusion.

Again, from what I read in post 7, you can do exactly that.

enosbones
I plan to stick around
Back to my original issue... that is roughly what I wanted to do but wasn't allowed. I had suspended from Feb 2, 2018 to May 10, 2018 and then I wanted to suspend from Jan 18, 2019 to May 15, 2019 but I was told I couldn't.

enosbones
I plan to stick around

I was told that I had a suspension from last year February 2nd to May 10th 2018, so technically I only had 2 months left in the 12 month period .   Still don't understand the start and end date logic. Just give me mid-Jan to mid-May each year, that's all I ask. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@enosbones wrote:

I was told that I had a suspension from last year February 2nd to May 10th 2018, so technically I only had 2 months left in the 12 month period .   

Yes, but the "12 month period" was finished on February 2nd, so if you had told Rogers you wanted the suspension to start on February 2 (instead of January 18th), you would have another 6 months available.  Have you looked at post 7 of this thread?

Topic Stats