cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Text Messages While Roaming

PZ1
I plan to stick around

I will be travelling outside of Canada, and I only need to receive text messages, such as authorization codes. I won't be using cellular data to surf the Internet or make calls with my Rogers phone. I am thinking of turning off "cellular data" in my iPhone settings and disabling "data roaming". I believe this will prevent me from getting charged while I travel abroad.

What are your thoughts? Can you please share your experiences? I know that Rogers' service charges can sometimes be tricky and complicated. Thank you very much.

**Labels Updated**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Incoming Text Messages While Roaming

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The post author needs to receive Text messages aka SMS while roaming, not iMessage.  SMS/Text message can only be received thru Cellular network connection,  even if data is off because sms do not consume data, it uses the part that voice calls use. so to get sms you need cellular on, and data can be off.

You can also look into if the web site you are logging into uses other 2 factor uses other methods like an authenticator app or email? 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

LordDrakkon
I'm an advisor
iMessage requires data to work properly. Services that use 2FA usually ask what device you are using to make sure that they are sending the 2FA message the best way for you to receive it. iMessage does also work on WiFi but any messages coming in over iMessage you will not receive without some sort of data connection.

Disabling data roing is not enough to avoid roaming charges. Once your device connects to a foreign cell tower, you will be charged Roam Like Home rates per day that you are abroad. The only way to 100% avoid this is to either remove your SIM before leaving Canada and don't put it back in your device until you are back in Canada or make sure all of those apps, like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger as two examples, are not on your device because they can and will take your device out of Airplane Mode without any notification, causing you to be charged doing fees.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PZ1 : Here's a good thread summarizing roaming - link below. Make sure you read at least the first two posts in that thread and the links in post 2.

As mentioned above, putting the phone in airplane mode for the duration or taking out the Rogers SIM will avoid roaming charges.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Understanding-How-Roaming-Works/m-p/531963#M4...

PS. iMessage does work via WiFi, but can use data (or cell service) when WiFi is not available.  I sometimes use iMessage on my MacBook Air or on my iPad, both of which do not have cellular, therefore no charges.  I'm not sure if you're limited to discussions with the person at the other end being on an iDevice or not.  I have not done this often enough.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The post author needs to receive Text messages aka SMS while roaming, not iMessage.  SMS/Text message can only be received thru Cellular network connection,  even if data is off because sms do not consume data, it uses the part that voice calls use. so to get sms you need cellular on, and data can be off.

You can also look into if the web site you are logging into uses other 2 factor uses other methods like an authenticator app or email? 

PZ1
I plan to stick around

Thank you for all your responses.

An authenticator app or email can serve as an alternative option for authentication. However, not all mobile apps or websites offer these choices. Nonetheless, I will endeavour to transition multi-factor authentication to authenticators or emails. Thank you, @Pauly 

In response to @57, turning on airplane mode is an option but not preferable, as I need to watch some text messages in case immediate action is necessary. Since I have disabled "cellular data" and "data roaming" in my phone settings, I will dispute the charge if my bill reflects a substantial amount. Disabling Roam Like Home is definitely a priority.

Rogers should only provide services such as Roam Like Home to customers if users request the service. Rogers must warn customers about future costs and print or publish an article online to clearly tell customers how to use the service properly and avoid unintentional costs. I think Rogers has more to do since the unexpected costs may put many customers in trouble and also increase thousands of hours of customer service efforts. 

They stated they were using an iPhone. As an example, with TD. If I setup 2FA with them and select that I have an iPhone. Those 2FA message will be sent through iMessage and not SMS. They aren't the only company that does this. If the 2FA services they need only use SMS, then they will get it whether data is on or not.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

so if I am a TD Canada Trust customer, and do not own an iPhone or apple device, then I can not get my 2 factor authentication messages because I do not have iMessage?  They should use the lowest common denominator, guess what? sms works on apple phones too, and it also works with every other device in the world, so why would they choose to use imessage only  for 2factor? that is terrible terrible terrible decision

No. When I signed up for 2FA for my account years ago online. It asked what OS the device I was using was. Apple, Android, or other. At the time, I had an iPhone. When I switched back to Android, I didn't get those 2FA texts until after I called because they had to switch that on my profile. I was told, they send 2FA's to iPhone devices through iMessage and Android and other devices get a standard SMS.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

then if you use iMessage you can receive the message from outside of canada, as long as your ipad or ipod or iphone is connected to wifi and cellular data is off.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation