cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation for Service Interruption

g555
I've been around

Anyone else feel compensation is in order? Lost money in business deals because of the outage!

**Added Labels**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Compensation for Service Interruption

@AmandaMcGarity wrote:

I have not yet received a rebate on my account for the inconvenience the outage caused me. When can we expect to see it?

See: https://www.rogers.com/support/outage

ℹ️ UPDATE: We will be automatically crediting customers with the equivalent of five days service fees on their August bill.  --  Learn more >

You have not seen this credit because it has not been applied to any of our accounts yet, and will not until next month.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59

sunbaked
I've been around
Great, I hear we are getting a small rebate off our bill. What about the outage we suffered a week earlier when you cut a cable in Whitby and left us without cable for 2 days...haven't heard anything about that...2 outages in 2 weeks!!!!!!!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Last I heard was 5 days worth. 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

KW85
I've been around

I hope there will be some sort of compensation to customers of Rogers not just words!?!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@g555 wrote:

Anyone else feel compensation is in order? Lost money in business deals because of the outage!

**Added Labels**

That's an interesting question. What if I lost a lucrative contract because I couldn't communicate when Rogers was down? What if I couldn't buy a lottery ticket because the store's debit was down and I wanted to pick the number that ended up winning $10 million? Good luck with that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most contracts do not compensate for what's called consequential damages:

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrEa3cqb9BipJcog3vqFAx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcyMTAwMgRfcgMyBGZyA3...

https://assets.ctfassets.net/8utyj17y1gom/5kZeFugE8fdJUaFhM061wN/e36db91b40f08a7576ae6a5d7a08b620/te...

Paragraph 9 c i of the above Rogers Terms.

I believe the latest compensation is 5 days, which means if your bill is $200/mo, you'll get around $33.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another thing to keep in mind is that the major service providers typically do not provide any SLAs or assurances for residential services.  The only consequences that they face for a major outage is that their customers may leave.  (To a certain degree, and especially with residential Internet, they also count on the fact that their competitors often cannot provide a comparable level of service in a given area and that their customers will not leave because they have no viable alternatives.)  If a given service (Internet, Home Phone, Mobile, etc.) is critical to you personally or to your business, you need to seriously consider options for redundancy and obtaining critical services from multiple providers, essentially buying down your risk.

When I did systems and network design for my financial and large-enterprise clients, I had to look not only at having multiple service providers but also needed to consider the hubs/COs/data centres that circuits and services were provisioned out of, where the fibre runs were, where they were getting power from, etc., and architecting/designing/engineering (and testing!) redundancy, diversity and recoverability into any business-critical solution.  Business that cannot afford to go down need to do this stuff properly, and that includes selecting service providers that can live up to their contractual commitments.

When you or your business are running on residential services, the options for maintaining high-availability are limited, especially when those services have multiple single points of failure.  I have experienced multi-day outages from both Bell and Rogers, and a sustained power failure can easily cause a total loss of service, even when you have adequate backup power within your home.

The service providers cannot and will not provide any uptime commitments for residential services, and the only compensation that you can really expect is a refund for the time that the service was severely-degraded or unavailable.  Nothing more.

Rosey555
I've been around

When can we expect credits for the problems Rogers had last week. Just got my bill. No credit

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rosey555  One of the emails that I received said that the credit would appear on our August bill.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

I believe the latest compensation is 5 days, which means if your bill is $200/mo, you'll get around $33.

I presume that PayGo subscriptions will be extended by 5 days then.  I'll keep an eye on my expiry date to see if that happens.

RJ-Van
I've been around

A one day credit? THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT? It's like eating out and finding a fly in your soup and to make it up the restaurant reduces the price of the soup based on the weight of the fly that should have been soup. Just ridiculous.

Client3
I've been around

Is Rogers giving any compensation from the big power outage they had that Friday? They keep sending notifications to pay them my bill.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your post was probably moved to this thread where we mentioned that there will be a 5 day credit, which will likely be applied in the August bill.  If you have an outstanding bill, I suggest you pay it, otherwise you may be on the hook for late payment and or interest.

cconnors72
I've been around

When do receive our rebate for the outage . Was not on this months bill . Anybody know ? 

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

I think it is supposed to be on the August bill.

nutshell
I've been around

When should I expect my credit? Should it not have been reflected on this bill?

Sallen
I've been around
Did Rogers confirm the credit is added to the next bill? Got mine and there is no credit. No email, communication, nothing. How typical of them

Dannyislander
I've been around
But i missed my payment last month … somehow , they were AWFUL QUICK TO CHARGE ME A LATE FEE let me tell you .

After two letters from Rogers, nothing was mentioned of a discount or rebate for the outage inconvenience they caused their customers 🤔 Rogers , we want a discount on our next bill.!!!

Still no say on WHAT and WHEN to compensate.  $10 billion investment is more like "I am going to increase your monthly payment pal...PERMANENTLY!"

So when will we see this rebate on our phone bills from the power outage?????

Topic Stats