cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RockinR
I plan to stick around

For the home hub users that are likely not included on the lifted data cap that "Home Internet" users have been gifted. I call it a "shame on you" Rogers for treating the rural folk as second hand citizens. 

You realize that the same people that exist in the rural areas that are forced to use the Hub as their " Home Internet " with the measly data cap for exorbitant price per gig are paying for a service also that is "Home Internet". 

What's it going to take to give the rural users a break? Extinction? 

***Edited Labels***

88 REPLIES 88

Re: COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

rbradbury
I've been here awhile
The fact that Rogers, and the other players, were able to jointly become LESS competitive with their plans, shows how broken internet is in canada. The monopoly has to be stopped or CRTC might as well be dissolved.

dcbarrett
I've been here awhile
Well said! Contacting local MPs or the PM's office might help persuade Canadian telcos do what's right

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

Yeah my friend has the old Hub deal. New to Rogers only since Dec so not counting on the HUB biting the bullet. Right now, Rogers Hub is the only internet solution.  

joemark
I plan to stick around

We live in a rural area with no hard wire internet available so we got the biggest hub plan available which is 100gb.  Rarely do we go over this except for Christmas when lots of family is out and I am ok with this.  However during the COVID 19 pandemic, we are forced to work and school from home. I was worried about our usage and was able to do an online chat with a Rogers person on their site.  I asked if they are waiving data overages for the hub plans as they are for the normal plans.  They said no because it's "mobile".  I assured them that there is no other option for us and that I would be happier to pay less money for better service.  They said there is nothing they can do.  I asked about getting a second 100gb plan but they said they can't because it's not currently offered.  They said I could get the current plan for 55gb for $155 which is more than my current plan costs for almost half the data!  So this morning I get a bill for $367 in overage fees for 69.5gb of extra data.  I was expecting this, but very disappointed.  I wish these guys would help out their customers in these times of need.

I would urge everyone to submit a concern to Rogers about this.  Rural customers are now at a further disadvantage compared to the rest of the population with affordable internet.  Here is the link to report a concern: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

Wow, thats a hit but sure with working from home, perhaps kids doing Google lessons online and then your 'stay at home entertainment' it doesn't take long does it? Would it be cheaper to get like a second or third cell phone to just a hot spot hub? Maybe a better deal but I know you are limited to the number of hotspots taping in at a time.

joemark
I plan to stick around

It would cost less to get more than one plan, which is what I told Rogers I would be happy to do as long as it's the same as my 100gb for $145 plan.  They said that's not a current plan but I could get a 55gb for $155 plan.  I'd be paying more for less data than my current plan.  I guess that I just thought they would do the right thing and waive overages, I was wrong.  

I'm working on getting a Telus Hub, $80 for 500gb then I can use it as the main one and use Rogers as a backup.

celebrityb
I've been here awhile

Telus is not available in my area so I am urging everyone to go to their site and sign up if it is not available.   Hopefully with requests from rural areas that are not currently serviced, Telus will focus on expanding to these areas.

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

I think it would be a good idea for people commenting on this topic to just mention where they are if they say they can't get a particular service or are going to sign up for another service.

Otherwise, the suggestions won't mean anything.

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

Well I had to finally CALL tech support to make sure the new Promotion Hub Plan was applied to my account. I had waited 24 hours and nothing happened when I was signing in to my account with the update. Granted its not perfect price wish but its a better jump point for 50G for $120 and the 50% off overage for the next three months. 

NO services available currently with cable lines, either you use a cellular phone plan/hotspot or a HUB.

Neighbours have Explornet and they are catching signal as their antenna sits up on their silo(we can see the connection here in the house about 275 yards from our home.

Bell put their Ignite line up on their phone lines last fall infront of our place and they are slowly getting people hooked up with that Ignite service.

gabeluci
I plan to stick around

I live in a rural area where my only choice for internet is Wireless. I noticed the new "Promotional Plan" and I'm considering it for our home. But I have some questions.

1. How long is this plan available for?
  2. The Mobile Internet page has a ** after the description of the promotional plan, but there is no ** footnote anywhere on the page. Any idea what those missing terms are?
  3. Would I have to sign a contract to have the promotional $10/10GB overage for 3 months?
  4. (Not specific to this promotional plan) If I plan to get my hub (say, off eBay), does Rogers just send me a SIM? Or do I have to give you the IMEI first or something? How does that work? (I work in IT, so all I really need is an active SIM and I can make everything else happen)
  5. If I buy a hub from Rogers, is there a grace period where I can try it out and return it if things don't work out as planned?
  6. Is there ever any bandwidth throttling if I use too much data? (based on my usage over the past year, we use between 50-80GB/month)

I'm on Xplornet now, but their "service" is getting more and more unbearable. I have better speeds on my Rogers phone (it's on a corporate plan through my work - not personal) so I already know I get a good Rogers signal here. But the rocket hub plan is also more expensive, so I don't want to be locked into a contract in case other options come up (although I'm not holding my breath).

RockinR
I plan to stick around

Gabeluci, I think I can answer a couple of your questions. I am positive you can pick up a Rogers Hub from wherever and go and snag a new Rogers Sim from a corner store then call to activate the hub over the phone. They'll take the info from the hub's sticker at the back and the Serial from the new sim and off you go. Of course you can apply for the promo plan at that point and ask about the ** asterisks. 

Also if you do it this way then I'm sure your kind of coming as someone of a bring your own device sort of so conditions that apply should not apply I would think such as locked in etc. 

If you do the new try before you buy thing and take one of their hubs etc then I believe from my past experience you have a set amount of days to give it a whirl. Back in my day when I did it they had that ridiculous 100Meg rule where once you went over that you were their baby from then on. LOL 100 Megs is laughable as most speedtests on LTE use over a 100 Megs to test! 

Now about throttling after etc, that's a NO they don't throttle BECAUSE (I don't want to sound sinister here but) they love you to use it and at FAST LTE so you go into your overage! If your close to towers you'll scream along at speeds of up 75 Mbps down and you can really damage to your CAP fast enough especially if you have a few Windows 10 PC's that need some major updates or worse a Steam gaming client and you need a game like Battlefield to do one of it's normal 80 gig updates in the background! 

That's the thing that really gets me going on this whole data cap thing is anyone living in the rural area can't even participate in gaming let alone streaming and the world throws these terms around everyday like it's normal to do these things and you are expected to do them as they look at you with deer in the headlight looks when you say I have to only play solitaire on my PC. 

Regardless, you won't have throttling per the data center but you will notice slow downs if there's congestion on the network tower however at 75 Mbps it won't be that bad to slow down some. 

Someone else posted a post about what are our options available to high speed and our locations. Since I originally started this thread I might as well fess up to my current situation. As of this second I'm currently using Bells Turbo Hub that is locked down to 4g (non LTE speed) at a maximum 5 Megs down/ 1 Meg upload plan. This plan has been created as a special plan to the rural area in which I live that is located East of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (40km's East) on the Trans Canada Highway area. The areas North of Sault Ste. Marie and our area East were part of a government and rural initiative to bring in Internet Access to Rural Areas and this project rose from the ashes. We receive 100 Gigs of usage on Bells towers (special access on towers only for this project) at speeds at max 5 Meg. The plan was called the BWI5 plan. The cost goes like this, 50Gigs for 50 dollars, then over 50 to 75Gigs add 5 dollars, then over 75 to 100Gigs add 5 dollars to a max of 60 dollars. After 100 Gigs each Gig over is 4 dollars. 

There you have it, sorry if this fans the flames on here but I just felt that even at this point with Covid-19 happening it's still not up to standards with what the internet has become in this pandemic and the necessary need to have this access which isn't enough even though it's leaps and bounds better than regular Hub Plan costs. 

It's so convoluted to have users such as myself using a Turbo Hub (same as Rocket Hub) yet our plans are all over the map for costs for access that is the same across the board everywhere in Canada yet they say it can't handle it. It's not true, there's many many people up here using over 100 gigs albeit at 5 Mbps which likely can be up to 10 Mbps and there's never an issue with service and I've had this running for a couple years! It's ROCK SOLID! 

Now what I'd like to see is more access to service and I know they are waiting for Government incentives because I've been to large meetings with Government Townships, Internet Providers, Telcos where discussions are currently ongoing as to these Government programs with funding to supply the Canadian Rural areas on these programs. So yes unfortunately it'll be a cold day that Rogers alone will put a penny out of their profit and 100 percent pay to roll out towers or fiber to the node/tower to handle fixed to tower service. 

It will come to you in time but know that it won't be Rogers or Bell or or or alone to be the hero that gets it to you. No it will be an incentive. 

gabeluci
I plan to stick around
@RockinR Thanks for your info. I would be happy with 5Mbps if it was consistent. I'm on a "10Mbps" plan with Xplornet right now, but that doesn't mean anything. There is another wireless Internet company out this way (near Kingston) but I'm in a dead spot between their towers. It's a shame.
We don't use much data, even considering I'm a web developer working from home right now. No gaming going in here. I just need something reliable.

joemark
I plan to stick around

Here is a link that Cybera sent out on their mailer.  I know it's Alberta based but it's still relevant and sheds a lot of light for what the whole country is experiencing.  FYI, Cybera is a non-profit working on promoting connectivity for Albertans.

https://mailchi.mp/cybera/advocacy-update-covid-april-2020?e=33c3be3934

rtdodge
I've been here awhile

I am in the same boat as most people responsding to this post. RocketHub is the only option for internet where i live.  With the COVID restrictions, myself, my spouse and our two children are all working/schooling form home.  I was on the $60/mo flex plan, but after our $500 bill for March/April, i went to Rogers and found and signed up for their new $125/mo. plan, but even with that my last bill was nearly $500 again!! it was part-way through the next billing cucle when i switched so i am really hoping that the next bill is a couple hundred $ lower.  After recieving this most recent bill, I spent a few hours on the phone this week with Rogers Customer Service, they said the overage charges were only being waived for 'Internet' customers, meaning those that are connected through landlines, and that it did not apply to "Data" customers.  Unfortunately Landline internet of any kind that is not an option for me (and many others).  I hope that everyone whi is in the same boat as i am also speaks-up so that the Rogers Marketing people will take notice and come up with a relief plan for us.

RockinR
I plan to stick around

Well onward we go and still no relief lol. Did we just accept fate? Like we knew the answer. Regardless I'm hoping like myself that your rural area was announced to be included in Bells rollout of WHI Fast Home Internet via fibre from the tower offered by a small fixed antenna mounted to your dwelling which necessitates the idea that you now are considered a fixed true home internet account (non portable). 

With this being said the service is being accelerated across the provinces with my area being installed as I type. They claim 25Meg download /1Meg up with the largest package being 350Gigs for around 79 bucks (not unlimited ugh gain).

Regardless this is finally a good step forward. 

PS if you can get Xplornets Fixed Wireless LTE internet I'd say take it as several people I know around me that can achieve signal really like it! It's fast at average 20Megs Down and unlimited without lag and throttling that hurts apps from performing as intended. 

gabeluci
I plan to stick around

If your neighbours are having good success with Xplornet, then it will be ok for you. But in large parts of the country, including mine, Xplornet is absolutely horrid. They routinely oversubscribe their towers, putting way too many people on the same tower, to the point where no one can get any useful speed at prime time.

I switched away from Xplornet fixed LTE because of this. I'm paying twice as much to Rogers simply because it's the only thing that actually works here.

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

Please let the other posters know where you are located. It tends to put things into perspective. If you already have, thank you.

gabeluci
I plan to stick around

I'm between Napanee and Kingston. But that doesn't really matter. Just read the replies on the Xplornet and XplornetSupport twitter accounts, as well as all the parody accounts, to see that their service is garbage in lots of areas.

Ask your neighbours to see how their service is in your area before you consider Xplornet.

joemark
I plan to stick around

The other day Rogers called to tell me about their new great plan for the hubs.  The new plan is $170/month for 100gb and their overages are less than I'm paying but I'm only paying $145 for 100gb now so it's still not great.  

Here is the link for the new plans: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/mobile-internet

It still doesn't match my Telus plan of 500gb for $80/month.  Over the long weekend Telus dropped to 20mb/s which is pretty good considering it's normally under 5mb/s when the tower gets overloaded with people camping in the area.

I got an email from Rogers on May 22 touting how good they were and that they are donating $1 million to healthcare heroes.  Nice to see they are doing this, but what about some support or relief for everyone on a hub who they are hosing.  Rogers, your welcome for my involuntary donation of $367 for the first month of COVID, you'll be loosing me as a customer once COVID is over.

gabeluci
I plan to stick around

I don't know which province you're in, but Rogers isn't offering that in Ontario unfortunately. The best they're offering us is $120 for 50GB.

Edit: Oh I see, you're talking about after overages. Saying it's $170 for 100GB is misleading. It's $120 for 50GB + $10 per 10GB over for the first 3 months. After 3 months it's $20 for each 10GB over, which would make it $220 for 100GB. And don't forget tax.

RockinR
I plan to stick around

I'd jump onto the Xplornet train around here (Northern Ontario 40km's East of Sault Ste. Marie) since I guess there's not an over saturation of users on the tower? I'm up the road from a user that had it recently installed although I'm on a ridge that blocks the tower as the tester couldn't obtain enough gain to implement the service here. I'd have taken it as him and 2 other friends that live closer to the tower are hitting their 25 Megs throughput and they use it in excess of 500 Gigs on average per month reliably. 

For now I'll await Bell's implementation of the fixed wireless from the tower out my field. Looking at the prices some people pay on here you'd definitely need a  30+ an hour job to manage those bills comfortably. 

Topic Stats