cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RockinR
I plan to stick around

For the home hub users that are likely not included on the lifted data cap that "Home Internet" users have been gifted. I call it a "shame on you" Rogers for treating the rural folk as second hand citizens. 

You realize that the same people that exist in the rural areas that are forced to use the Hub as their " Home Internet " with the measly data cap for exorbitant price per gig are paying for a service also that is "Home Internet". 

What's it going to take to give the rural users a break? Extinction? 

***Edited Labels***

88 REPLIES 88

Re: COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

Peacer
I plan to stick around

Has anyone heard from Rogers yet! Did I miss something? This forum has gotten quite!

Doubtfire
I've been here awhile

Personally I have not heard anything directly from Rogers.  I have asked through online chat and twitter a couple of times and all I get is the canned message "when we have updates on what we are doing for our customers it will be available in our COVID-19 section".  I see some people have called and received a one-time $30 credit but no one should have to call. Bell has already offered some relief for their rural customers, it's the right thing to do.  If we had a choice I would not be using this service but unfortunately the only other option is Xplornet satellite -eeewww!

Peacer
I plan to stick around

Rogers shouldn’t be taking this long to help their clients out! The ones who pay the most and charged the most for over usage, it’s just crazy. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think they are going to do anything to help us. Rogers is just money hungry , robbing the customers that have no choice but use their services and they know it. 😡😡😡😡

RockinR
I plan to stick around

So true this article! Each little bit of news (headline news) helps! It's beyond me how in the comment section in this article that the city dwellers became adamant that it's an entitlement to only have the internet and all it's service levels available to city people only. Why is that and what is the divide all about? 

To the other posters in here wondering if you missed out on any news if Rogers did anything to alleviate us, the answer is as what would be expected and that's nothing yet. You'd think a world crisis should have an effect on connectivity, perhaps it has but to the forgotten it's been another cruel joke. 

Hadenuff2
I've been here awhile

Some countries have no caps, all included, high speed cell plans for as little as $24.00/ month.
I have Canada wide calling and recently received an email saying long distance would be waved due to the Covid_19 pandemic.
That's great. But wouldn't more free data be a more appropriate gesture?
Thanks for nothing.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Well I don't know if anyone is still interested in what happens on this issue (or if they have given up) but I did follow up with Rogers Management Office today, after giving them a very generous two weeks to come up with some sort of solve.

They have had a month to monitor the network and see how the added rural demand affects their network and infrastructure, so the fact that they have not yet updated their Covid page (or replied to this thread) to speak to Rocket Hub customers, after having announced swift assistance for other customers, speaks volumes.

The representative I spoke today said that I would receive a call from the Office of the President in a few days. Will see what happens then, but I am glad I will actually be getting a call from upstairs on this.

In the meantime I have held off posting this link so I didn't fan the flames, but this is what Telus offers rural internet customers in my province...using a ROGERS' cell tower. The price difference is huge.

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/smart-hub

Peacer
I plan to stick around

Thank you for doing the calling and hopefully you’ll get somewhere when/if you get that call back.  

Peacer
I plan to stick around

I just checked out the Telus but unfortunately it says I can’t get it yet. But wow I would change in a heartbeat if I could.. I can’t believe the prices , sooooooo much better then Rogers 😡😡 is all I gotta say 😡😡

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

Thanks for following up and I'm watching. THAT IS CRAZY what Telus is offering. HOLY! 

I had a girl up the road from me also with Rogers Hub. She said she managed to get them to give her 50% off her bill BUT she has to call them EVERY MONTH during the lockdown. I have yet to get thru to them as heck, I want 50% off also!

MKJB
I plan to stick around
So I did just get called back from the Office of the President, within a few hours after my first call today, so I appreciate that.

First things first. I was corrected that it was unlikely that Telus was using Rogers infrastructure where I am, as Rogers has a very small footprint in my province. So let's put that aside for now. I did impress upon the representative that the price difference between providers is huge and that Rogers needed to do something for its customers after a month of silence and let us know! (this thread being one of those places). I was informed that they would be following up with Marketing -> Social Media to get the word out.

But that's not what you are here for. First up go to the Rocket Hub plans page, it has been updated with a new 'Promotion Plan' (scroll to the bottom). https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/mobile-internet?ipn=1

I didn't quite catch all the details so I won't state discounts here, but was recommended that customers talk to a Rogers agent on the phone if they want the current deal being offered.

But here is what you really want to hear - unlimited data. It was formally suggested to me by this rep (she's telling other Rocket Hub customers to do this) that if I want unlimited data, jump over to Rogers sister company, Fido, rent a different wifi modem, grab their plan and get unlimited data for cheap!

I checked it and if it's legit (and available in your area) then here is the solution we have been looking for. Yes you have to get another account and wait for the modem to be delivered, but then you can save your bucks.

https://www.fido.ca/pages/#/internet

Best I could do so far gang, hope it helps some of you out there.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
And yes there is the 50% off thing too. The rep I spoke mentioned the Promo Plan and the 50 off in the same breath so I didn't know if it was the same thing.

So those are the three options on the table right now. Fido unlimited or 50% off if you call in or the Promo Plan.

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your work! I'll be following up to see if I can make the jump to the new promotional plan.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Cool and thanks for that extra piece of the puzzle.

Yeah the official 'Promotional Plan' on the website is poor, so calling Rogers direct and getting the 50 off is the way to go.

The hassle of the Fido Unlimited thing is only for those that use a ton of data. Why Rogers can't just offer that on its Rocket Hub is for them to explain.

the
I'm here a lot
The 50% off is on the over usage. The new promotional plan is a little better but we are still looking at 180$ for 100GB increasing to 240$ after 3 months.

The fact they pointed you to Fido clearly shows that they our out of touch with rocket hub customers. The Fido deal is for cable internet not wireless. What a joke sadly. Fido does not have a wireless hub product.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
And Fido Unlimited is Ontario only, so unless you live there - call Rogers and ask for your 50% off.

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

I'd take the 50% off the overage use if they can't migrate my currently plan with them and their bloody HUB to the new Promotional Plan. Seriously I am looking at digging my own trench in from the road so that Bell Ignite cable can get here sooner.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Yeah ignore the website, call in for 50% off. And thanks for pointing out the Fido thing. The rep knew I was a rural customer so I had assumed it was a legit solution for us, but I checked the fine print and you are right. Okay well I've done what I can, if someone wants to take the baton...go for it.

They should be able to switch you. We were on the heavy plan and we switched to the promotional (50GB / 120$) with 50% off over usage so 10$ for every 10GB for three months which then flips back to 20$ for 10GB.

After the 3 months it will be 240$ for 110GB which is still way too much.

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

I've got a Rep on this now. Deal is 50G for $120 plus 50% off the next 10G over the 50G mark. 

Hey I'll take it. 

Thanks again

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

That sucks.

That's more than my grandfathered plan.

https://imgur.com/a/XVCuZP3

Rogers doesn't want you to know that because they are trying to hide what they did with their "new" plans last year.

the
I'm here a lot
Whatever you do, don't change anything. We were on a grandfathered plan and our hub died.

After getting assurances that activating a new hub would not change our plan, surprise surprise, we were knocked off our plan.

After many attempts at calling in we got no where except for higher bills. I'm sure someone at Rogers got a bonus for getting someone off a grandfathered plan.
Topic Stats