cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RockinR
I plan to stick around

For the home hub users that are likely not included on the lifted data cap that "Home Internet" users have been gifted. I call it a "shame on you" Rogers for treating the rural folk as second hand citizens. 

You realize that the same people that exist in the rural areas that are forced to use the Hub as their " Home Internet " with the measly data cap for exorbitant price per gig are paying for a service also that is "Home Internet". 

What's it going to take to give the rural users a break? Extinction? 

***Edited Labels***

88 REPLIES 88

Re: COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RockinR
I plan to stick around

News Flash...Bell offered people around me additional Flex Data on their Hubs. It shows up as a separate circle in their app and shows additional data to be used in addition to their allotted data. 

the
I'm here a lot

Bell is offering 10GB free and 10$ credit.  Not much but at least it's an acknowledgment.  https://www.bell.ca/Covid-19-update.

I'm not even asking for unlimited access, just a break on over-usage fees.

Meanwhile on Rogers i'm forced to physically turn off my modem over night and do other extreme measures to cut down on bandwidth.

What is the offer for 100GB for 150$ mentioned earlier in this thread?

Looking forward to Rogers doing the right thing.

Piratelabradors
I plan to stick around

Yeah I'd take that offer of 100G for $150. 

I wondered myself about shutting off the HUB physically at night. All the machines that access it are cut off, as in shut right off. I likely should start doing that. 

Oh and the rep I spoke to earlier this week who said that HUBS were included in that email we all got? Yeah, buddy was reading from the wrong script. Rep I spoke to yesterday(after over an hour online) said, " we apologize for the misinformation'. UGH!

MKJB
I plan to stick around
SaskTel just did it.
"Data overage charges waived – From March 17 to 31, 2020, we'll be automatically waiving all data overage charges for wireless (postpaid and prepaid) and fusion Internet customers to ensure those working and studying from home and remotely can use as much data as they need. (Customers on unlimited wireless rate plans and unlimited fusion Internet plans will still have data usage limits.)"

za19
I've been around

Rogers, I am SO disappointed in you!  

No other options are currently available to us and so we "choose" to subscribe to your mobile internet with the rocket hub.  The prices we pay are RIDICULOUS to say the least.  You continue to improve services for those who already have great services and forget about us who have no other options.  

I have a university student who must continue her studies from during COVID-19.  This week, she has 2 midterms to complete online in addition to various other assignment.

My high school aged son also has assignments to complete during this time.

As well, I am a teacher who is expected to prepare appropriate content and learning resources to share with my students online.  This requires a lot of time online and streaming to find the appropriate tutorials and videos.

In addition, none of my three children can indulge in a little social media interaction with their friends nor can they stream movies or music while we remain socially distant/quarantined for the following weeks.  

Basically, I have the choice to throw this semester's tuition investment out the window by allowing my daughter to fail her classes OR I could man up and pay my next bill which will likely find itself around the $800 to $1000 dollar range?

How on earth do you consider this acceptable to your loyal customers? You could choose to do so much better!

So disappointing and infuriating!

RockinR
I plan to stick around

As like Za19 I'm sitting here wasting data every so often looking at the silly Data Usage App (rinse repeat for the last past Decade). 

Running around with a yard stick and striking the hands of anyone that uses Youtube or any click that daringly defines the myriad of rules that we as users of anything remotely in the area where Telcos created their retirement fund zone which is us in the rural area. It's been Decades people that they've built a barrier to NOT include us as users where there could be what can be referenced as "a cost of living increase" in terms of usage. We've never had even a morsel of allotment to keep with the changing bandwidth changes. What they see is a bigger bonus to line the companies profit with each progression to user interaction. The standard they say is 10 gigs then overages afterwards of substantial proportions, a user in an area served proper usually is allocated upwards from 400 Gigs of normal usage then get a gig of extra use for around .25 cents versus 4 to 5 dollars on the Hubs. 

What a skew of numbers don't you agree. Then there's the recent notice that allowing users on Hubs to have more usage will impact the safety of Cell users and the Emergency services? Not really, lower the usage to 10 or 5 Megs of download rate and not the full LTE 25 Meg or higher rates and offer the package to include 500 Gigs of usage and throttle to 2 Megs download rates afterwards. 

They're doing it elsewhere so it's not new AND it's working.  Friends out West use it also with other carriers and it works great. 

So back to running around the house with Yardstick! I'm really done having to run around the house after 10 years especially now in this unique time we're in and babysitting the data app. ENOUGH. It's measly so UP the usage to what is normal and for the PRICE we pay! 

This is very unfair to rural subscribers who are have no choice and are paying exorbitant fees for very little service. In these times I need to be connected, it's a matter of life and death. Please reconsider this policy.

gdmaclew
I plan to stick around

Still no response from Rogers! Why am I not surprised?

This is what a lack of competition looks like. Also a lack of compassion.

I'm not the least bit surprised that Rogers doesn't mind profiteering from

this current crises but what does surprise me is that despite all the messages on their forums

they haven't even bothered to post a response.

Why not just freeze the caps at 100GB and be done with it.

If people abuse it put it back.

Very, very disappointed.

to_munda
I've been around

Mobile Data Overages during COVID-19 crisis

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I was just wondering why Rogers is not offering unlimited data on their mobile data plans during this COVID crisis like other providers? I have lookd through their website but theres nothing being offered. The only thing I saw was unlimited data for Home Internet (which most people already have).

I think the LEAST they can do is double everyones data during this time, for no extra charge.

Thanks

Kathy8
I've been around

Well they should do something for there customers there it’s been a lot of layoffs from work and people will be in hard financial situations

MKJB
I plan to stick around
They are not responding here but they have made it clear in their FAQs:

"Will you be waiving data overages?

We are not waiving wireless data overages at this time, however, if you are already on a Rogers Infinite plan you have unlimited data, and do not need to worry about data overages. It’s easy to switch to an unlimited plan, simply login to My Rogers to get started."

Just verified with Rogers that this is not available to Rocket Hub users and when I forced the issue of helping their customers, they blew me off and ended the chat.

rbradbury
I've been here awhile
This is ridiculous, my wife and I are now 100% telework, and the kids will be elearning, we’re going to be looking at a $1000 bill just to survive. Internet is no longer a privilege, right now it is an absolute necessity. I Rogers and Bell aren’t going to so something about this, CRTC really should. If telco’s cannot manage themselves and stop their monopolistic practices, then they should be broken down into smaller companies forced to compete for real.

Peacer
I plan to stick around

Cmon Rogers, we’ve been waiting long enough. We all need your help and you have the power to do so but are choosing not to!!! You know how much you charge a month for this service and how often people go over their usage on a normal month before this PANDEMIC we are all going through. And now your going to allow for families to have outrages bills because of you money hungry pockets. Shame on you Rogers.. This needs media attention , Rogers needs to be shamed in the media.  I don’t know how to start something like that but I will happily do whatever I can. Rogers has been robbing me for way to many years!! 😡😡

celebrityb
I've been here awhile

Rocket Hub Data Only Users

Why are the overage fees not being waived for Rocket Hub Users?   What is being done for them?

rbradbury
I've been here awhile
I’m sure they’ll claim tower utilization or fear of bandwidth constraints, but in reality they likely did the math. The goodwill of doing so wasn’t worth the money they would lose waiving those overage fees. So they opted to “give” services on home internet (which even they themselves admitted applies to a small number of customers) and long distance (almost irrelevant now with Zoom/Skype/Messenger/WebEx). So either the badwill has to ramp up (shame them into action), the government has to force them (but CRTC is toothless) or the taxpayers have to cover it (through some government package). But I’ll happily eat-crow if they prove me wrong.

celebrityb
I've been here awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep today and was told that they are giving a $30 reduction for hub users.  It is not automatic, you will have to call in and request it.  It is a one time only credit, not sure what monthly bill it can be applied on.  Seems a bit weird because the bill varies each month depending on usage.  Looking on the positive side 30 is better than zero..  

RockinR
I plan to stick around

Get ready for it! Ontario Government just stated that schools closed till at least May 4th and online virtual classes will be used. Guess what, welcome to your new dilemma with data overages on top of the stress of just being at home online! 30 dollars is probable to 6 gigs over. I'm a compassionate user and I use a minimum of 3 gigs per day. My city counterparts that I've had use data traps to count their usage are well over 30 gigs a day! LOL. 

rbradbury
I've been here awhile
Yeah, sounds about right. 3GB per person per day, right now, with telework. With 2 kids in school we’ll be looking at 10GB per day, or 300GB in a month. 5GB of overage fees per GB... $30 only sounds good to people who are paying $60 a month for Internet. For us rural customers, $30 on our $1000 bill will be a cruel joke. And FYI, 10 GB per day includes throttling my own bandwidth so Skype and streaming video don’t try and go all HD on me and blow 30GB a day.

MKJB
I plan to stick around
I just spoke to someone from Rogers Management Office and relayed the challenges that Rogers Rocket Hub customers are facing, that Rogers has taken actions to aid other types of customers but not this group, that no official response has been given to this concern in over two weeks and that Rogers competitors in the marketplace have taken steps to assist their wireless data customers but Rogers so far has not and that we need answers and some real help.

The representative informed me that management has been working on what they will be able to offer to all Rocket Hub customers, that my concern would be directly forwarded to the Office of the President and that a response will be coming 'very soon'.

Not being born yesterday, 'soon' may not be as soon as we all would like and so I asked the representative to email me directly when the official word comes down. I will share that info here as soon as I have it.

RockinR
I plan to stick around

In my honest opinion I'd prefer Rogers to be the Rural Broadband opponent that gets government approval to initiate the Broadband Initiative that is coming to many areas shortly. I realize the Xplornet and Bell are heavy handed in this right now with Xplornet expanding 25/50 Meg fixed LTE wireless unlimited packages and of course Big Blue ever so gently tapping their toes to the tune of getting every morsel of money from the public till forced. Yet Big Blue is gearing for expansion in our areas in fact had a big hand in laying fiber on a large Island near me which is dumbfounding but rumor had it this was spearheaded due to a gov't insider residing there and had first hand news whom to contact to obtain the legalities to push that rural expansion project!
Regardless it is coming sooner than later and with COVID it unfortunately is front and center to that initiative being a necessity rather a luxury!

MKJB
I plan to stick around
Topic Stats