cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

RockinR
I Plan to Stick Around

For the home hub users that are likely not included on the lifted data cap that "Home Internet" users have been gifted. I call it a "shame on you" Rogers for treating the rural folk as second hand citizens. 

You realize that the same people that exist in the rural areas that are forced to use the Hub as their " Home Internet " with the measly data cap for exorbitant price per gig are paying for a service also that is "Home Internet". 

What's it going to take to give the rural users a break? Extinction? 

***Edited Labels***

88 REPLIES 88

Re: COVID-19 and Data Restrictions Still on Hubs/Cell?

rbradbury
I've Been Here Awhile
I’m sure they’ll claim tower utilization or fear of bandwidth constraints, but in reality they likely did the math. The goodwill of doing so wasn’t worth the money they would lose waiving those overage fees. So they opted to “give” services on home internet (which even they themselves admitted applies to a small number of customers) and long distance (almost irrelevant now with Zoom/Skype/Messenger/WebEx). So either the badwill has to ramp up (shame them into action), the government has to force them (but CRTC is toothless) or the taxpayers have to cover it (through some government package). But I’ll happily eat-crow if they prove me wrong.

celebrityb
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep today and was told that they are giving a $30 reduction for hub users.  It is not automatic, you will have to call in and request it.  It is a one time only credit, not sure what monthly bill it can be applied on.  Seems a bit weird because the bill varies each month depending on usage.  Looking on the positive side 30 is better than zero..  

RockinR
I Plan to Stick Around

Get ready for it! Ontario Government just stated that schools closed till at least May 4th and online virtual classes will be used. Guess what, welcome to your new dilemma with data overages on top of the stress of just being at home online! 30 dollars is probable to 6 gigs over. I'm a compassionate user and I use a minimum of 3 gigs per day. My city counterparts that I've had use data traps to count their usage are well over 30 gigs a day! LOL. 

rbradbury
I've Been Here Awhile
Yeah, sounds about right. 3GB per person per day, right now, with telework. With 2 kids in school we’ll be looking at 10GB per day, or 300GB in a month. 5GB of overage fees per GB... $30 only sounds good to people who are paying $60 a month for Internet. For us rural customers, $30 on our $1000 bill will be a cruel joke. And FYI, 10 GB per day includes throttling my own bandwidth so Skype and streaming video don’t try and go all HD on me and blow 30GB a day.

MKJB
I Plan to Stick Around
I just spoke to someone from Rogers Management Office and relayed the challenges that Rogers Rocket Hub customers are facing, that Rogers has taken actions to aid other types of customers but not this group, that no official response has been given to this concern in over two weeks and that Rogers competitors in the marketplace have taken steps to assist their wireless data customers but Rogers so far has not and that we need answers and some real help.

The representative informed me that management has been working on what they will be able to offer to all Rocket Hub customers, that my concern would be directly forwarded to the Office of the President and that a response will be coming 'very soon'.

Not being born yesterday, 'soon' may not be as soon as we all would like and so I asked the representative to email me directly when the official word comes down. I will share that info here as soon as I have it.