cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asked for ID to Migrate to Ignite

Whitepuppy1
I've been around

I have been a Rogers customer for 7 years for internet, cellphone and home monitoring. 

In the last month we notice that internet gets disrupted sor a little while, other times, hours. Called Rogers and they say the modem we have is old (legacy) and they are now providing a new service: Ignite. So I though it was like any other time when the package has been upgraded or a new modem replacement.

They gave me a great offer on a 2 years contract because we have other services with them, i thought it was a good price, a big discount for what I'm paying now. 

But they have to set up an account and requested my drivers licence (i'm ok providing that) then the second ID has to be Canadian Passport, Social Insurance Number or Birth Certificate. On one of the calls I made someone told me it could also be a credit card. So I took a few days to think about it because I think the IDs they are requesting are meant for other uses no to get internet in my home.

When I called to order Ignite, they told me the system does not allow for credit cards, only the other 3 documents. Well, I don't see any reason why Rogers would like to have my passport number, SIN or birth certificate. I have been a loyal customer for 7 years and all my accounts are paid up to date and the Ignite modem it is going to the same address (home) were all of my accounts are register to.

So, I will not provide this types of IDs, I think it is an outrage. I'm contracting a new service provider and will cancel all my accounts with Rogers.

**Labels Added**

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Asked for ID to Migrate to Ignite

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps all Rogers employees should be directed to read Section 4 of the following Government of Canada web page:

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) Code of Practice

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/code-of-practice.html#h2...

Re: Asked for ID to Migrate to Ignite

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Whitepuppy1  Given that you are an existing customer, it should be possible for an agent to migrate you to an Ignite account without having to perform a credit check.  Even if they did need to set you up as a "new" customer, perhaps if this was the only way for you to get a "new customer" offer, they should still be able to do this with a driver's licence and credit card.

I have been a Rogers customer for 7 years for internet, cellphone and home monitoring. 

In the last month we notice that internet gets disrupted sor a little while, other times, hours. Called Rogers and they say the modem we have is old (legacy) and they are now providing a new service: Ignite. So I though it was like any other time when the package has been upgraded or a new modem replacement.

Okay, that is a bit misleading.  Ignite Internet uses the same underlying DOCSIS technology as legacy Rogers Internet.  Yes, Ignite Internet uses a different modem.  However, if you have a poor signal coming into your home or you have a problem with excessive noise in your neighbourhood's cable plant, or are plagued with stability issues with Rogers' infrastructure in your area, I highly doubt that switching to Ignite Internet will improve the stability of your service in any significant way.  Before migrating your service, and DEFINITELY before locking yourself into a 2-year contract, get Rogers to fix your Internet stability issues first... or at least get a solid explanation as to why they think switching to Ignite Internet will magically make your current problems go away.

However, if you want to take advantage of better pricing with Ignite, I would send a private message to @CommunityHelps and ask them for assistance.  They may be able to find a way to switch your account over, and find out why you were asked to provide your SIN or other sensitive documents rather than a DL and credit card.

One other thing that you should be aware of: Rogers provides a 30-day satisfaction guarantee for Ignite services.  Once you sign up for a 2-year contract, you have 30 days to cancel.  After that, you will almost certainly be subject to cancellation fees, even if your current Internet service has been unstable for the last 5 years.  Ask them what your cancellation fees will be if you should experience any issues with your service while you are under contract.  Personally, I would investigate what deals are available with a month-to-month contract.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation