cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do with old digital boxes (in Toronto)?

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

I have about a dozen old digital cable boxes - SA3200, SAS3250HD, SA4250HD, SA8300HD and some Nextbox boxes.  I own all of these boxes - none were rented from Rogers.  Several of these boxes will be deactivated on April 30, and the others can no longer be added to a Rogers account so there is no point giving or selling them to anyone.

Should I just put these out on garbage day to be collected as part of the city of Toronto's Electronic Waste program?

Is there any point in taking them back to Rogers? 

***Edited Labels***

22 REPLIES 22

Re: What do I do with old digital boxes (in Toronto)?

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

@Pauly wrote:

My dad had a garage sale, so he found some stuff in the house, guess what one of them was?  yup, an Analog Cable external converter box. My dad was like "someone maybe could use it"  so I told my dad even if you gave it to them for FREE it would not work, time to send it to the e-waste collection bin.  I am not sure how long he has had that sitting in his basement but man that thing was old.  Have old unwanted electronics?  Please Recycle them!

I liked those old "converter" remote controls that had a dozen or more buttons on them.  It was great when you were watching 3 football games on a Sunday afternoon.  You could instantly switch back and forth among the channels by just hitting the right button.  Even better than using the Previous Channel button on more modern remotes.

Re: What do I do with old digital boxes (in Toronto)?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I visited the Thrift store the other day and to my surprise, they were selling some old cable converter boxes.  If I worked at the thrift store, I would make sure those devices were not "resold" as they are not usable and I would instead direct it at the electronic recycling..   if someone really really wants one, there should be a disclaimer that older electronics may not work and will be end of life, but may still be bought for parts or such.

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation