cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release Dates Missing on Channels

paullj
I plan to stick around

Why have the dates of production/release been removed from all channels? Very annoying as do not know if watching an original movie or remake. For TV shows they are usually not shown in series, but random so I would like to know at least what season I am watching. These like regressions one by one are enough to either change subscribers or better still HD antenna and get 45 over air channels at zero $$, and some of them you don’t even offer and they are good. GRIT TV for one.

**Labels Added**

66 REPLIES 66

Re: Release Dates Missing on Channels

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I also used to be a Rogers Digital TV customer.  That was a horrible experience.  I MUCH prefer Ignite TV.

Thetallguy
I've been here awhile
This is all very interesting but c'mon Rogers! Any update on getting release dates back into the guide??

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Thetallguy wrote:
This is all very interesting but c'mon Rogers! Any update on getting release dates back into the guide??

I honestly have no idea but folks have been venting their frustrations with more serious Guide-related issues in this thread for more than a year now.

shas500
I plan to stick around

I hear you, but I generally don't like radiation, and try to avoid it as much as possible. I actually don't have a microwave for that reason. 😄 I personally know a few people who think like me. There are too many "waves" in the air; it can't be good for us.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shas500 wrote:

I hear you, but I generally don't like radiation, and try to avoid it as much as possible. I actually don't have a microwave for that reason. 😄 I personally know a few people who think like me. There are too many "waves" in the air; it can't be good for us.

I hear you as well.  Radiation may not be good for us but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is always harmful either.  With Wi-Fi, we're talking about non-ionizing radiation at miniscule power levels.  You could put a small amount of water right next to a Wi-Fi antenna and when you die of old age it will still be at room temperature.  Take a step away, do the math, and at that distance your personal exposure will have gone from negligible to practically non-existent.  You have far bigger things to worry about.

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

Folks, we seem to be drifting WAY off topic here.   Let's get this thread back on track.

Why is it that, despite all the tech people Rogers has on staff, they can't seem to fix a simple glitch.  I mean it's been three weeks now.

Rogers, fix this problem.  I don't want any more excuses.  Get it done!

shas500
I plan to stick around

Yes, why is it taking so long?

Many people are relying on the Internet to "watch tv" and are cancelling their cable subscriptions. NOW IS NOT THE TIME to mess around with your customers. FIX THIS PROBLEM. 

wedg
I've been around
Yes same thing. Emailed the main customer service issue email who replied to go to Share a Concern. The Share a Concern person was nice but said they personally never looked at the guide and were personally on Ignite and even then couldn't tell me if Ignite had the "year". They also said to call the technical line. But we know it's not a technical glitch, its a service change . They even announced the June 2021 service change so technical support can"t help. This happened years ago during a provider change and they dropped the year and who was starring. So many people complained that they had it added back within weeks, even days if I recall. They had 1200-1500 calls a day (approx) as per old stories I saw. Today, less people watch TV and others are on Ignite ( to which I still don't know if that displays the year!). It's a cheaper service that they must have switched to again, for digital. I also noticed many wrong descriptions, and in different languages. During Wimbledon and a German was playing, the description was in German. An episode on HBO of the "100 foot wave", which is a show about big waves off the coast of Portugal was all written in Portuguese!!!. Something major changed in June with the provider and it is second rate again, even worse than the last switch. They probably don't care about digital subscribers anymore. Unless they all move to Bell, and take their Cell and Home Phone and Internet service with them. Short- sighted by Roger's as we have the other services as well.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wedg wrote:
Yes same thing. Emailed the main customer service issue email who replied to go to Share a Concern. The Share a Concern person was nice but said they personally never looked at the guide and were personally on Ignite and even then couldn't tell me if Ignite had the "year".

The Guide on Ignite provides a completely different experience.  There you get release dates, air dates, information about the actors, including all available programs that they appear in, and more.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/navigating-the-ignite-tv-guide

Here's YouTube video that provides a small taste of what you can get with Ignite TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJQ2MUkPQ4

One of my fellow RE's also posted screenshots back when Ignite TV first rolled out: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-TV-Guide-Images/td-p/423979

But we know it's not a technical glitch, its a service change . They even announced the June 2021 service change so technical support can"t help. This happened years ago during a provider change and they dropped the year and who was starring.

The EPG on Digital TV has been pretty bad for ages.  It's also possible that Rogers may be boiling down and simplifying the Guide data so that it can be compatible with a wide range of legacy set-top box hardware.  (I'm only saying that because apparently the EPG is much better on Anyplace TV, and you would think that they would be using the same source data on that service.)

Sand2
I've been here awhile

Why doesn’t the guide provide the year of movies anymore? It’s extremely annoying! It’s bad enough they often get the description wrong but this is ridiculous!

paullj
I plan to stick around

We are not talking Ignite, we all appear to have the older service, and it is worthless, as mentioned in other posts, missing dates, wrong program, wrong language. The service has to be broadcast over the same lines to you home no matter what and the channel lineup/guide SHOULD BE THE SAME. My digital boxes are always being updated, because the hidden ROD channels reappear.

Does not matter what service, it is still a Digital Signal sent to you box, there is nothing magical about Ignite/Fibe or other IPTV streaming services. They are digital. 

So get a programmer to re-script the guide, no different than scripting a web site, or what users see on a network.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@paullj wrote:

We are not talking Ignite, we all appear to have the older service, and it is worthless, as mentioned in other posts, missing dates, wrong program, wrong language. The service has to be broadcast over the same lines to you home no matter what and the channel lineup/guide SHOULD BE THE SAME. My digital boxes are always being updated, because the hidden ROD channels reappear.

Does not matter what service, it is still a Digital Signal sent to you box, there is nothing magical about Ignite/Fibe or other IPTV streaming services. They are digital. 

So get a programmer to re-script the guide, no different than scripting a web site, or what users see on a network.

The problem is that Rogers is not selling Digital TV anymore.  At some point, the operating costs for the service's obsolete and now-redundant infrastructure will exceed the revenues from the last remaining Digital TV subscribers.

I could be totally wrong in my analysis but in my opinion, it does not make any business sense for Rogers to spend even a single dime to improve the Digital TV service in any way.  At some point, the service will reach a tipping point where it will actually become disadvantageous for them to retain Digital TV customers.  Digital TV could very well remain in its current state until they finally decide to shut it down.

TeddyBear387
I've been here awhile

It is part of my rent so clearly Rogers is getting paid for the "service" and making no effort to maintain it. 

paullj
I plan to stick around

We are not asking for it to be improved. It was removed a month ago during an “upgrade/update” . Obviously some work is still being done to it, so just fix the problem. What do customers do in areas that Ignite is NOT available?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@paullj wrote:

We are not asking for it to be improved. It was removed a month ago during an “upgrade/update” . Obviously some work is still being done to it, so just fix the problem. What do customers do in areas that Ignite is NOT available?

I was in such a situation a few years ago when neither Bell nor Rogers could or would fix the problems affecting my area and/or with their service.  I didn't want to install satellite TV, so I "cut the cord" and switched to a third-party Internet service provider, and got better quality TV over-the-air with an antenna and a better and much cheaper phone service from a VoIP provider.  Neither Bell nor Rogers had any of my business, at least not as a direct customer, and their Retentions departments kept calling me trying to win me back... and I told them precisely why I could not and would not give them my business.  Eventually, one of them (soon followed by the other) fixed their technical problems.

If you are in a multi-dwelling unit, where Rogers has the contract and Bell is not available and Rogers Internet is an optional service, you do have options if you can get your Internet and TV service from a third party provider such as Start or Teksavvy.

If Ignite TV is available in your area, it's a great option.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Pardon my ignorance, but if one can get Rogers service, why wouldn’t they have the option to get Ignite? Isn’t Ignite available throughout the entire Rogers cable footprint?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but if one can get Rogers service, why wouldn’t they have the option to get Ignite? Isn’t Ignite available throughout the entire Rogers cable footprint?

Some MDUs negotiate contracts with Rogers for Digital TV services for the building, and typically also set things up so that residents can view security camera feeds on Lobby Watch channels.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Ahh ok. Interesting. Thanks.

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

The dates are FINALLY back! 

They told me I had to switch to Ignite if I wanted to see the dates,  but I see they told others it was a 'technical issue'.  Anyway I'm just glad the dates are back...but for how long?

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor
Yea!!! 🎈🎈🎈
Topic Stats