usb storage on CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: usb storage on CGN3

@josh_assad wrote:

@borford wrote:

Just remember the adapter output for this modem is 12 volt and 2.0 amps. I've seen the wrong adapter cause rebooting many times. Even if the modem was installed by a Rogers installer. Rocket modem should have an adapter with 2.5 amps, but have been seeing the rocket and standard gigabyte released with 3 amp adapters.

That's good to know...but if power was the problem wouldn't the modem have reset during my 'active cooling test'?

I would tend to agree that it is probably not power supply since the cooling test removed the problem, at least during the full test.  But a point for others possibly - it led me to go downstairs and make sure I had the right power supply just in case.

I know I once mixed up a power supply on a router a numer of years back - poof - that one I overloaded and killed it - had used a power supply for a managed switch that was right beside, and both power supplies were side by side - unfortunately, blew the power supply too, so I had to get a new router, and a new power supply for the switch.

Oopssy = lesson from when I worked in the field - label your connections, preferrably in different colours..

Learned that one the hard way.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, now I'm starting to get frustrated.

I returned my modem for a new one (interestingly, I *did* only have a 2 amp power supply.....*and* after further use with the old modem, even with a fan on I was getting reboots and other weird behaviour like wifi shutting down while streaming from the USB drive...).

They gave me one of the new Gigabit modems (large white box).  Everything is great network-wise, but it is not detecting any USB storage devices.  I've tryed my external HDD as well as a thumbdrive, nothing.  I have confirmed that USB Storage is enabled in the modem's admin screen.  It doesn't however detect/enumerate any devices.  The USB light isn't lighting up on the front of the modem either.  I can navigate to the shared network drive in Windows explorer, it just says that the folder is empty.  I got the last modem in the store too...  😛

Note, they made a point at the store of ensuring I got one from the 'good batch' with a black circle sticker on it...apparently the rest have some kind of software bug.  Now I wonder what the bug was...

I Plan to Stick Around

@josh_assad wrote:

I returned my modem for a new one (interestingly, I *did* only have a 2 amp power supply.....*and* after further use with the old modem, even with a fan on I was getting reboots and other weird behaviour like wifi shutting down while streaming from the USB drive...).

They gave me one of the new Gigabit modems (large white box).  Everything is great network-wise, but it is not detecting any USB storage devices.  I've tryed my external HDD as well as a thumbdrive, nothing.  I have confirmed that USB Storage is enabled in the modem's admin screen.  It doesn't however detect/enumerate any devices.  The USB light isn't lighting up on the front of the modem either.  I can navigate to the shared network drive in Windows explorer, it just says that the folder is empty.  I got the last modem in the store too...  😛

Note, they made a point at the store of ensuring I got one from the 'good batch' with a black circle sticker on it...apparently the rest have some kind of software bug.  Now I wonder what the bug was...

Update - Learned over here that they haven't enabled USB port on this modem yet.  Might happen 'some day'.  Guess I'm back to sharing storage via PC network share for now.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Maybe a swap back to a replacement ACR?  Or as you said, back to a PC based network storage.

There seems to be a number of issues with the new CODA devices in other areas that they are working with, guess USB ports is way down on the list until they get stability in general nailed down.  Glad to hear that you have good network performance.

Thanks for the updates.

Bruce

I'm an Advisor

@josh_assad wrote:

@josh_assad wrote:

Update - Learned over here that they haven't enabled USB port on this modem yet.  Might happen 'some day'.  Guess I'm back to sharing storage via PC network share for now.

Honestly, why would you WANT to use this device for any kind of storage? 

These devices seem to already have enough bugs in their core NAT/wifi/etc functionality. It's not clear whether they really have the processor power to do gigabit-rate NAT/firewalling. Why would you want to have such a device have the ability to write to a file system that, in theory, might get corrupted if their file handling code is full of bugs? 

If you want to share storage, go pick up a cheap NAS box with mature code from a vendor who specializes in this stuff. I've used Synology and they're pricy; I've also used a Buffalo box that was much cheaper and seemed very competent. I've been tempted by WD's lineup too, but have never tried it. 

Really, you could call it @VivienM's Rule for Rogers Happiness: use the provided gateway in bridge mode and get good third-party gear for everything else (firewall/NAT, switch, NAS, wifi, etc.).

I Plan to Stick Around

@VivienM wrote:

@josh_assad wrote:

@josh_assad wrote:

Honestly, why would you WANT to use this device for any kind of storage? 

These devices seem to already have enough bugs in their core NAT/wifi/etc functionality. It's not clear whether they really have the processor power to do gigabit-rate NAT/firewalling. Why would you want to have such a device have the ability to write to a file system that, in theory, might get corrupted if their file handling code is full of bugs? 

If you want to share storage, go pick up a cheap NAS box with mature code from a vendor who specializes in this stuff. I've used Synology and they're pricy; I've also used a Buffalo box that was much cheaper and seemed very competent. I've been tempted by WD's lineup too, but have never tried it. 

Really, you could call it @VivienM's Rule for Rogers Happiness: use the provided gateway in bridge mode and get good third-party gear for everything else (firewall/NAT, switch, NAS, wifi, etc.).

It's a good point.  My main reason is that I'm cheap.  I already had an external HDD enclosure, so plugging it into the modem and sharing it was a lot cheaper than spending a couple-hundred bucks on a NAS.  

I have my own rule:  Expect products to work, and hold the manufacturer/retailer accountable.  Rogers already gets enough of my money every month, I shouldn't have to spend more to work around their hardware.

I'm an Advisor

@josh_assad wrote:

I have my own rule:  Expect products to work, and hold the manufacturer/retailer accountable.  Rogers already gets enough of my money every month, I shouldn't have to spend more to work around their hardware.

To be clear, did Rogers ever promise their hardware would do file sharing? 

In any event, trying to hold residential ISPs and/or residential-grade networking hardware manufacturers accountable seems hopeless to me. I've been using residential high-speed Internet for 18 years now... and it's been enough of a struggle to get the core modem/connectivity stable that I have little hope that the more 'advanced' features (NAT/firewall, wifi, etc... let alone something like NAS) will ever work right. I don't think this is a Rogers problem; go to a forum for another of the big players and you'll see similar stories (plus they don't even have a bridge mode!). 

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree it's a Hitron issue, not a Rogers issue.

It was an available feature so I tried it. When it didn't work, I came to the forums for advice/help troubleshooting it. Now that it seems like it won't work, I'll probably spend the money on something else... While I'm at it I stated disappointment that something that /should/ work /didn't/ work.

Imagine my delight if it had just worked...we too often settle for stuff that doesn't work, since that seems to be the norm.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@josh_assad I agree 10,000%  I know I live with it and am resigned to it - not accepting of it - given technology capability, the industry is just pushing things out way too fast, putting moderate quality, and when it doesn't work, the attitude is sort of "oh well".

Just because Rogers or Hitron chooses to not support an option, doesn't mean we have to be pleased when the device is designed to do something.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have sometimes done much the same thing..  why spend money, when i can do it the a cheaper way, with what is already semi available, etc?
4/5 times though.. often end up going with the more expensive route.. just because the cheaper option... well is cheaper for a reason.

I have tried about.. 4 different USB based storage adapeters.. going all the way back to the 10mbps Dlink wired one.   NEVER had any luck ever sucessfully in having them work long term/well at all.

If you need/want the storage.. its definately worth the investment.
A NAS is great, with the QNAP and SYNOLOGY ones.. you can start putting OTHER apps on them.. which allow you to run things like a PLEX server right from them, have them as a remote connectable box to start torrents directly on, etc.  Most allow you to swap drives easily if one dies.
They can be on the pricey side though.

I run a widows server at home.. so having a NAS here is not as necessary.  Run all the storage off there.
BUT i still do run a network drive as a backup.

The WD network drives, actually work pretty well.  Very simple and easy to access as a file share.