Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Laser Printer

john177
I've been here awhile

I am new today to ignite.  

I have everything working except my  Brother Laser Printer 

I bought a TP Link 5 port gigabit switch thinking that would solve my problem.

But when I hook it all up, the printer still shows offline. 

Is there something I am doing wrong.  The desktop only has one ethernet port so I cannot connect the printer directly to the desktop. 

Thanks for any help you can suggest 

*** Added Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wireless Laser Printer

john177
I've been here awhile

I reset the network card in the printer

and connected the desktop beside the printer via a UBC connection, and then connected the printer to the switch via an ethernet connector, and the PC two floors away can now print as well.

I think this resolves all my problems -- thanks for your inputs 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Most laser printers are connected to the computer thru a usb cable not ethernet. However if you have multiple devices in your home that u want to share the printer with, does this printer have a rj45 ethernet connector? Connect the printer to your ignite modem or 5 port giga bit switch and that should solve it. Its actually the preferred way

john177
I've been here awhile

Thanks, I will go back and try again

Check the printer, using its display interface, to see if in fact it has a LAN IP address.

Also check the printer control software in the pc to see if it can find the printer.  Sometimes you have to command the printer control to look for the printer.  Usually, when you install the printer, as in connect the printer to the network via ethernet, and then install the printer drivers in the pc, as part of that installation, you usually have to select an Auto mode to search for the printer, or you can specify a LAN IP address if in fact you have set a static IP address for the printer.  Typically the driver installation process will determine the printer IP address and set the IP interface to run an an Auto mode for those occasions when the printer goes offline and restarts. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@john177  I happen to have a Brother network laser printer and I can think of a number of reasons why your computer may not be able to see it on the network, depending on how you configured the printer in the first place.

When you set your printer up, did you configure its network interface with a static IP address, or does it use DHCP?

Which Internet provider did you have prior to switching to Rogers Ignite Internet?

If you switched from Bell to Rogers, your printer's IP address would have been 192.168.2.???

With Rogers Ignite, your computer's IP address is now 10.0.0.???

If your printer was configured to use DHCP, it would now have an IP address 10.0.0.?? .  Your computer may or may not be able to see the printer on the detwork, depending the computer's printer settings and how it is configured to connect to the printer on the network.

If your printer had a static IP address configured, its IP address would still be 192.168.2.??? and the computer, with an address of 10.0.0.?? , would not be able to connect to it anymore.

I have my Brother laser configured to use DHCP, and I assign that printer a static DHCP lease.  This provides the printer with a known, stable, consistent IP address on the network.

To fix your current problem, you need to ensure that the Brother printer is properly configured with an IP address of 10.0.0.xxx AND that your computer's printer settings are also configured reach the printer, either by its new IP address or its network name.  This is not too difficult to fix but it would be easier to explain how if we knew how it had been set up prior to your switching to Ignite.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
no one should really be using static IP for their devices or printers, unless you are advanced computer technician or programmer or I.T. expert, for the regular Joe Schmo a Dynamic IP will suffice.

john177
I've been here awhile

I reset the network card in the printer

and connected the desktop beside the printer via a UBC connection, and then connected the printer to the switch via an ethernet connector, and the PC two floors away can now print as well.

I think this resolves all my problems -- thanks for your inputs 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
glad to hear it worked john177

tjmck1948
I've been around

Hello All,

I just became a member of the Rogers community, but i cannot get my Brother 2270DW laser printer to work wireless, it has been working prior with Bell, but since yesterday when i had the Rogers stuff installed no luck, i did notice when the WLAN report printed

Connection : Failed (error : TS-07) 

Configuration Name (SSID)     BELL504   (this was my old Bell account)

Hardware Address (MAC)        00:22:58:5e:13:d1

if anyone can help with this issue this would be really appreciated otherwise i guess i have to buy a new printer.

Regards

Terry

My Modem is the Ignite WiFi Gateway

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tjmck1948  Hi, Terry and welcome to the Community!

I'm not 100% clear on what you have tried (so far) to get your Brother printer connected to WiFi.

The WiFi networking on some Brother printers has known incompatibilities with modern WiFi networks.  In those cases, the Brother printer's WiFi hardware is incompatible with Band Steering (a configuration where the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks share the same name and the device gets "steered" to the most optimal band when it connects) and is also incompatible with mesh networks, where you not only (usually) have Band Steering enabled but also have multiple WiFi Access Points for the same network name, which "confuses" the prtinter: https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73618?R3ModelID=HL2270DW

Did you try performing a factory reset , then reconnect to WiFi using WPS?

If that did not work, you should still be able to connect your printer to the network using (wired) Ethernet and should also still be able to connect it directly to your computer using a USB cable.

Do you have Ignite WiFi Pods installed to extend your WiFi coverage?  If so, then that configuration is a WiFi mesh network with Band Steering enabled.  If you don't have Pods installed, you may be able to disable Band Steering on your Ignite XB6 gateway by assigning different network names to your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks, and you should then be able to get your printer to connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi network.

user904
I've been around

Hello,

Brother J625DW Printer won't connect to Ignite Gateway:

I'm a new to Rogers Ignite service. I have everything setup, tv, laptops, tablet. BUT I cannot get my Brother J625DW Printer to connect to the Gateway.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone yesterday with Rogers Help, which didn't help. They separated the 5G and 2.4 networks, but the printer still will not connect to the 2G either. They said that's all they can do, Rogers doesn't support printers. 

This printer worked PERFECTLY with my old cable modem. The ONLY change to the system here is the Ignite Gateway.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. 

The "Easy Self Setup" has been one frustration after another. We've been at this for 6 days now.

Thank you,

DA

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@user904  I suspect that your printer's firmware, which hasn't been updated since 2012, has multiple incompatibilities with modern Wi-Fi networks.

The Brother support pages show that there is a known issue with band steering: https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73618/p/7183

This is what the Rogers support tech tried to help you with.

However, even if you separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks (thus disabling band steering) and are able to successfully connect on the 2.4 GHz band, you will likely find that your printer will still drop off the network after a period of time.  This is because the Wi-Fi protocols got updated a few years ago to address the KRACK vulnerability and that fix is basically incompatible with older devices whose Wi-Fi drivers have not been updated with that fix as well.  Older devices might still work if the Wi-Fi network allows you to weaken security, basically undoing the fix to maintain interoperability... but that option is not available on all devices and I am not willing to make that compromise even if it were an option.

Some have opted to connect their printers directly to their computers using a USB cable.

The only other solution that I can suggest would be to connect your printer to the network using an Ethernet cable.  If you have Ignite WiFi Pods, you can also connect the printer to the Ethernet jack on the bottom of the Pod.

MHead
I've been around

same here, we just got the ignite router, we have the MFC-l3710CW printer I've reset the wifi setting on the printer, but it keeps telling me that I'm putting in the wrong password for the wifi.

TimDitto
I've been around

Misread this response first.  I am extremely angry with Rogers and the garbage that is Ignite at the moment.  Why dos it have to be so difficult to connect wirelessly to a printer? 

jj
I've been around

I had the same issue, I did a factory reset on the Printer, reconnected to the network, and was successful.

I would recommend installing the full software from the manufacturer and/or their firmware update utility.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation