cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Ignite Internet and TV, wifi works fine, ethernet doesn't

User0000624
I plan to stick around

Wifi is working fine, but no connection via ethernet to PC.  Ideas?

Installer was here a long time so we didn't get around to checking the connection on the PC...

***Added Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Upgraded to Ignite Internet and TV, wifi works fine, ethernet doesn't

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @User0000624!

We'd be happy to assist with the device connection issue. I can appreciate the confusion if it's the only device unable to connect. Given that it's a wired connection; 

Can you confirm of any other wired device is connected?

When you mouse over the network connection icon, what error message or connection message is indicated? (Ex: Connected - No Internet)

@RogersAndy

User0000624
I plan to stick around

I have no other wired devices connected.

When I mouse over the network icon it says "unidentified network - internet access" and if I click on it says "connected".

@User0000624 if you simply ignore the "unidentified network - internet access" and bring up a web browser, are you able to navigate across the internet, or does the ethernet / internet path fail altogether?

User0000624
I plan to stick around

Actually it's really strange, I can access a handful of sites, like wikipedia, google, bing, but the connection times out if I try to access any of the results or any other pages.  It's like the connection is there, but it's filtering my access.

Just to check the IP and DNS settings on the pc/laptop, drill down to the adapter settings.  Go START .... CONTROL PANEL .... NETWORK and SHARING Center. Select Change Adapter Settings to display the Network Connections panel, select the Ethernet network, and then right click to select Properties. 

Select the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and select Properties to the lower right to display the Internet protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) Properties popup.  You should have:

1.  "Obtain an IP address automatically" selected; and

2.  "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected

Change the settings if necessary and hit OK at the bottom.

Then select 

Select the Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6) and select Properties to the lower right to display the Internet protocol Version 6(TCP/IPv6) Properties popup.  You should have:

1.  "Obtain an IPv6 address automatically" selected; and

2.  "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected

Change the settings if necessary and hit OK at the bottom.

If you had to change anything, reboot the pc/laptop. 

I would also do the same for the wifi adapter if you are using a desktop/laptop that has both ethernet and wifi adapters.

The next step would be to delete any existing ethernet Network profiles.  When you connect to an ethernet network, Windows creates a network profile.  So, originally you would see Network 1 when you hover your mouse over the internet access icon in the task bar.  If you connected to another network or another modem, that Network number would increment.  You can delete any existing ethernet network profiles after which Windows will generate a new network profile for whatever network you are connected to.  

Edit:  To do this, go START, and type in regedit in the Search window.  This is the Windows registry editor function.  You can safely edit the registry, just have to be careful when you do it.  Before you do anything, go File .... Export and export the entire registry file as a backup.  Select All for the Export Range in the lower left and save that file to a location of your choice.  

When thats done, navigate down to the network profiles folder by navigating down the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

You will probably see a list of profile keys on the left side listed under the profiles folder.  If you select any of the profiles, the corresponding data will show on the left side.  The bottom ProfileName will show the "Network X" profile name, so you can select each profile on the left side and see what network "number" that left side profile is actually associated with.  

Ok, so, I just tried this to confirm that it works and didn't have any problems with it.  On the left side, select each profile, one by one, right click on the profile and select delete.  When all of the profiles are deleted, reboot the pc/laptop.  After the reboot, you won't have internet access just yet.  You should see a pop up asking "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PC's and devices on this network?"  As a rule, I never allow this.  Everyone has their own uses and opinions for this.  Ok, when thats done, Windows will generate a new ethernet (wifi) profile for the network and you should have internet access restored.  

Here's the reference for the regedit path:

https://superuser.com/questions/1257859/remove-an-unused-hidden-network-connection-so-that-an-existi...

User0000624
I plan to stick around

Thanks very much!  I think you're probably right, I was wondering if it was related to IPv6.  I'll give this a shot and report back. 

I'm also having issues with my home phone not being installed properly and am having a heck of a time getting through to tech. support by phone, they keep routing me to the legacy support people and/or hanging up on me, and nobody seems to know the direct number for Ignite tech. support.   If I dial the Ignite Concierge number (1-866-299-3622) and select tech support it sends me to the legacy folks, who then told me to call the 1-888-764-3771 number and that it would automatically identify me as an Ignite customer and route me appropriately, but then I ended up with legacy support again, and am now on hold again for the fourth time trying to get through.  Lots of fun.

Have a look at the Edit in my post above for instructions on deleting existing network profiles for a Windows 10 pc.  

As for the concierge support, I believe that its been folded into the legacy support services.  I remember seeing a post from another customer on that same subject.  If you have trouble contacting the right support staff, contact the moderators, either thru a post or send them a message at @CommunityHelps.  Follow that link to their public page.  Further down the page is a link to "Send this user a private message".  Follow that link to the message composition page.  Type in the subject and details and hit send.  When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right.  That avatar serves as a link to your profile and message inbox and outbox.  Follow the links down to the message inbox to see the response and to respond in turn. 

To check for IPV6 access, go to https://ipv6-test.com/

A score of 4/20 indicates that you only have IPV4 access.

A score of 17/20 indicates that you have IPV6 access but, that IPV6 ICMP isn't running as required

A score of 19/20 indicates that you have full IPV6 access.  Rogers does not supply an IPV6 Host name so the best you will see is 19/20.  

To ensure that ICMP is running for the white CODA-4582 modem, log into the modem and navigate to SECURITY .... IPv6 Inbound and set "ICMPv6 inbound to Hosts" to Allow.  Save the changes.  

Reboot the modem.   ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

For the pc, you will need to add a rule to the firewall to allow IPV6 ICMP thru the firewall.  Here's the reference for that:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/allow-pings-icmp-echo-request-through-your-windows-vis...

Reboot the pc/laptop when that is done and rerun the https://ipv6-test.com/ test.

User0000624
I plan to stick around

Thanks for taking the time to document all of this for me.  The directions you gave were familiar, I can recall changing such settings in the past, but they no longer seem to apply.  I'm wondering if you're on an older version of Windows 10 or maybe Windows 7?  I can no longer access such settings (I'm on Windows 10 Home, Version 1909).  However, in attempting to access the network properties you specified I was able to fix my problem.

I plugged the ethernet back in and turned off the wifi to get back to the ethernet network.  Then I right-clicked on the network icon in the lower right corner and selected "open network & internet settings", then clicked on "change connection properties".  The only thing here you can really change is under "IP Settings".  It was set to manual and had options to enter IP address, Gateway, DNS servers, etc. for IPv6 and IPv4.  I changed the manual setting to "Automatic (DHCP)" and presto, everything works normally now.

I went into the Ethernet adapter options and it already had everything checked off (including IPv6) so there was nothing to do there.

I ran the IPv6 test.  Before I changed the network setting to automatic it came back as 10/20.  After I made the change it came back as 17/20 as you predicted.  I made the firewall changes for the ICMP rules, but cannot figure out how to change this rule on the modem.  I'm on the new Ignite Arris XB6 modem, not the white CODA-4582, so the settings and access are different. 

I think I figured out the Ignite tech support issue.  I finally spoke to someone and he explained that my ticket was still open in relation to my home phone not being setup properly, and as such the system is not seeing me as having Ignite yet (even though I do), thus it's routing me to the legacy support people, which makes sense.  He was of no help whatsoever on the ethernet issue (he told me to just use wifi, as if that was a solution).  I have a guy coming tomorrow to try fix the phone which has not been setup properly.  I can get the phone to work by plugging it in to the modem directly, but now the phone line to the home security system doesn't work.

Thanks again for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

Hi,  I'm running Windows 10 Pro V1909 OS build 18363.720 for the pc that I was using to check out the regedit path.  To modify the Windows registry you have to be in an Admin account.  User accounts aren't allowed to modify the registry.  

The Arris XB6 modem, you're going to have to ping off of the moderators at @CommunityHelps or perhaps @-G- can provide an answer on that one, specifically how do you enable the ICMPv6 Inbound to Hosts, as is found in the Hitron modems.  Without that set, you won't see full use out of IPV6.  

The security system issue is due to the path that the telephone cabling takes.  With the previous modem it was probably:

modem -> phone -> alarm -> phone -> house 66 block -> all other house telephones

cable       system     cable

What you might have now is:

modem -> phone cable -> 66 block -> alarm system

The alarm system needs to be the first device connected to the phone system so that the alarm can capture the phone line when needed.  So, if any calls are underway, the alarm system will disconnect the call in progress and dial out to the alarm centre.  

So, most likely, any tech who is going to fix this will have to potentially deal with the problem of the modem located upstairs and the alarm system located downstairs.  Its definitely possible to connect the modem to the alarm system when their both located on different floors but you would have to have the necessary wiring in place in the home to accomplish that.  Next step would be to simply locate the modem downstairs with the alarm system, which isn't great for wifi purposes.  

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

To change the IP6 settings on the Arris XB6:

go to https://10.0.0.1

select gateway

select firewall

select ip6

select custom and click on the custom link

make sure everything is selected except Disable entire Firewall

click save settings

You should get a 19/20 value for the IP6 now

Thank you @Alex4161.  Is there a separate selection to allow "IPV6 ICMP to Hosts" or some similar wording?  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink  The XB6's firewall UI is pretty simplistic and does not allow for much customization.  The "Default" IPv6 rules are:

LAN-to-WAN: Allow All.

WAN-to-LAN: Block all unrelated traffic and enable IDS.

You can change the Firewall Security from "Typical Security (Default)" to "Custom Security", with the following rules and checkboxes:

LAN-to-WAN : Allow all.

WAN-to-LAN : IDS Enabled and block as per selections below.

🔲 Block http (TCP port 80, 443)
🔲 Block ICMP
🔲 Block Multicast
🔲 Block Peer-to-peer applications
🔲 Block IDENT (port 113)
🔲 Disable entire firewall

...and that's it.  For IPv4, you have High / Medium / Low presets as well as a Custom option that is similar to its IPv6 counterpart.

(I have the Technicolor XB6.  The Arris XB6 should have the same settings but I can't say for sure.)

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor
The Arris XB6 has the same settings, but changing the settings with a reboot, plus the firewall ones, I still only get 17/20. But it is not like I was missing something before and everything was working.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0000624  I'm also not sure what could be causing the connectivity problems that you are seeing on your PC.  The XB6 was designed to support Ignite TV, which uses IPv6, so the gateway's default configuration should not break IPv6 connectivity.  I also use my XB6's LAN port constantly; I've used it with Bridge Mode enabled and disabled, and have had both the Arris and Technicolor units, and I have not run into any issues when connecting routers, switches or set-top boxes via Ethernet. 

I'm mostly a Unix/Linux/macOS guy, not a Windows guru so I can't offer any additional troubleshooting tips for the "unidentified network" problem.  It also looks like you have been a long-time Rogers Internet customer.  If the Ethernet connection and IPv6 connectivity worked with the old Rogers modem, I can't see any reason why it should not continue to work when connected to the XB6.

Did you enable Protected Browsing in the Ignite WiFi Hub or through the Rogers app?  If so, does the problem go away if you disable it?

I don't think that there should be a physical connectivity issue between your network card and the XB6 either but if a Rogers tech will be visiting your home again soon, you could try inserting a LAN switch between your PC and the XB6 gateway.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation