cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched Modem XB7 to XB8

Grwebster
I plan to stick around

Just had my modem switched to try to help overcome a drop-out issue.  Was only able to get 600-700 mbps on the old modem, but now getting 1300mbps on devices that support wifi6e.  Also system logs and wifi spectrum analyzer are working again on the modem.    Also I think it can bond more channels on the download side.  Seems that the change is worth it so far…

***Edited Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Switched Modem XB7 to XB8

asturias7
I plan to stick around

Hello, did you simply contact Rogers to get it swapped? A couple of months ago I was upgraded to the 1.5G plan and can't pull anything over 700 mbps on a consistent basis. The kicker is that on my previous legacy plan, before I switched to Ignite, with the older modem I was able to pull almost 900 mbps on a 500 plan... 😶

Grwebster
I plan to stick around

I called, but had other issues which helped me  get a replacement.  Not sure that it will solve the other issues.  I have 2 gig pro now, and got 1200mb/s near the router on wifi 6e last night.  This morning I only got around 600 upstairs.  As per usual there is no way you will get your promised speeds at all times or perhaps ever.  The promise is up to xx mb/s. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Grwebster wrote:

...As per usual there is no way you will get your promised speeds at all times or perhaps ever.  The promise is up to xx mb/s. 

I have the following comments:

1. Most Rogers customers actually do get the speed they pay for, or even more due to SpeedBoost.

2. The speed must be measured at the Gateway, with Rogers default configuration.  This can be accomplished in several ways: Either by using the Home Connect App as described in the link below, or by using a computer* connected directly via an Ethernet cable to the Gateway's port 4.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/New-internet-packages/m-p/530957/highlight/tru...

3. When I was on 500 Mbps plan, my download speed was always around 1.3-1.4 Gbps. Now that I'm on 1.5 Gbps plan, my speed is always around 1.8-1.9 Gbps.  This is the case for most people who test properly.  I would be perfectly happy with about 300 Mbps download speeds, but each time I renew my contract it's cheaper for me to go with a higher speed.

4. We see hundreds of posts per year on the topic of "slow speed" and all but a select few of them are caused by the customer's equipment (computer, router, extender, etc) or configuration (software, OS, etc).  The days of "node congestion" have been almost totally eliminated for years now, despite the speeds getting higher each year. 

5. Rogers can only control the speed as far as the Gateway.  Anything downstream of that is in the customer's purview. 

6. Of course if testing via WiFi, there are numerous reasons why WiFi performance in a home can be less than expected.  If you search the web for WiFi speeds there are many articles on why speeds can be slow and how to improve them.

* If your plan is over 1 Gbps, then the computer must be capable of more than 1 Gbps, which many are not. You also need the appropriate settings in the software, OS, etc.

asturias7
I plan to stick around

I'm aware of all of this and regularly test both on my desktop connected via ethernet and also via the Home Connect App. All I want to know is if with my current plan (1.5 G) I can ask to have my XB7 swapped for the newer XB8...???

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@asturias7 wrote:

1. I'm aware of all of this and regularly test both on my desktop connected via ethernet and also via the Home Connect App.

2. All I want to know is if with my current plan (1.5 G) I can ask to have my XB7 swapped for the newer XB8...???

1. What do you get with the Home Connect App?

2. AFAIK, the XB7 and XB8 provide identical speeds except for WiFi6e.  You can ask, but if you don't need it you're just costing other customers money through your request.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@asturias7 wrote:

I'm aware of all of this and regularly test both on my desktop connected via ethernet and also via the Home Connect App. All I want to know is if with my current plan (1.5 G) I can ask to have my XB7 swapped for the newer XB8...???

You can always ask.  The problem is that, as far as I know, there is still no way for Rogers Tech Support to explicitly send out an XB8 (and only an XB8) or whatever specific model gateway that you request.  You may need to have a tech dispatched and hope that he/she/they have one in their truck.

Also, see my post here as to whether you will benefit from upgrading to an XB8.

Beware that the XB8 has a different Wi-Fi chipset, so you always run the risk that it may not play nicely with some of your devices, especially older devices with older drivers that cannot see let alone connect to an AP that supports WPA3 security.  (Yes, someone in the Community just got their XB6 upgraded to an XB8 and had a bunch of devices that could no longer connect to Wi-Fi, even after disabling band steering and downgrading to WPA2 security.). If your current set-up is stable, I would advise not making any changes.

asturias7
I plan to stick around

“Beware that the XB8 has a different Wi-Fi chipset, so you always run the risk that it may not play nicely with some of your devices, especially older devices with older drivers that cannot see let alone connect to an AP that supports WPA3 security.”

I wouldn't have such problems since my equipment is barely two years old and it's also all ready for Wifi7, for example. Anyhow, I asked two agents via Live Chat and no luck. I have no stability issues or other problems, but was simply curious to know if the modem is available to those of us on the higher tiers of internet plans.

*PS: I imagine that those lucky enough to have Rogers FTTH are using the XB8 modem?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@asturias7 wrote:

*PS: I imagine that those lucky enough to have Rogers FTTH are using the XB8 modem?

When the XB8 is in short supply, FTTH customers tend to get priority.  However, with either the XB7 or XB8, FTTH customers must use the Gateway's 2.5 Gig E port for WAN-Ethernet connectivity to their fibre ONT, leaving no option for high-speed multi-gig LAN connectivity.  What FTTH customers really need is the not-yet-released XER10 router.

The XB8 was really designed to be used by multi-gig DOCSIS (cable) Internet customers.

asturias7
I plan to stick around

No doubting its functionality or capabilities, but if that's how the XER10 router will look once its released... well, let's just it's not that aesthetically pleasing (de gustibus).

Grwebster
I plan to stick around

I understand all that.  One problem I had is that my wifi 6e devices were not supported.  Now I can get over 1 gig on them.   Last time I tried the speed test on a Rogers app, it did not show actual speeds but just indicated what the speed would allow you to do.    I live in a village of around 5000 people.  Bandwidth appears to be limited, and when I first had Rogers when HD TV was new we could only get 1/2 the channels due to bandwidth issues.  That has been addressed years ago.  Still there are times where things vary.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation