cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange recurring issue with Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM (Ignite 1 gigabit)

NorthGraves
I plan to stick around

Setup:

Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM in bridge mode

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite (ERL-3) router behind it

Kanata (Ottawa), ON

1 gigabit/30 megabit package + Ignite TV channels

Speedtest:

946 down/31 up, no issues

Issue:

Once every 1 to 1.5 weeks the speed doesn't exceed (any speedtest, consistently) 650-680 megabit down.

Complete power off to both cable modem and router for 5 min - no impact, still (!) 650-680 megabit down when all powered up and running.

Router restart - no impact.

Cable modem restart - no impact.

Troubleshooting (the weird part):

Change the cable modem from bridge to gateway mode (90 sec).

Restart the cable modem (3-4 min).

Change the cable modem back from gateway to bridge mode (90 sec).

Speed test - back to 946/31:-).

The best uneducated explanation I can think of is the cable modem "syncs up" with Rogers' servers at a lower speed for some reason, the power off/on doesn't change that synced up speed, but this bridge-->gateway-->restart-->bridge sequence somehow forces to re-negotiate the speed back to the maximum 946 down.

No idea what to do about it, and even if anything can be done about it...

***EDITED LABELS***

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Strange recurring issue with Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM (Ignite 1 gigabit)

Gagee1
I'm here a lot

Great thanks for responding. 

Re: Strange recurring issue with Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM (Ignite 1 gigabit)

Taab
I plan to stick around

I really hope we get this firmware update. I'm getting speeds as low as ~300 mbps :(. 

Hi All and thanks for your patience with this issue.

We had a fix in hand in 4.0p7s1 but a new issue was identified for devices in bridge mode so the code was rolled back.

We're now expecting this to be included in the BCM 18.3 SDK update and the current target version is in a 4.2 release. We don't have a release date yet but as soon as we do I'll share it here.

FYI, in case you didn't see this post in the other thread:

@RogersGordon wrote:

Good Morning All,

It looks like the fix for this issue has been pulled forward into 4.0p12s1. Most of the modems will have downloaded the firmware last night but may require a reboot to load the new build. We'll be validating the fix in the lab but would also appreciate any feedback from the community regarding the occurrence (or non-occurrence) of this issue on 4.0p12s1.

Thanks

Gagee1
I'm here a lot
Looks like the new firmware fixed the issue. I have done a few speeds test and they are consistently in the 900’s.

Taab
I plan to stick around

This issue never got resolved for me even when I got the latest firmware update. I still get speeds that range from 400-500 Mbps when I pay for Gigabit. Was wondering if that's the case for anyone else?

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.0p15s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

Topic Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 5 in conversation