cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange recurring issue with Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM (Ignite 1 gigabit)

NorthGraves
I Plan to Stick Around

Setup:

Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM in bridge mode

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite (ERL-3) router behind it

Kanata (Ottawa), ON

1 gigabit/30 megabit package + Ignite TV channels

Speedtest:

946 down/31 up, no issues

Issue:

Once every 1 to 1.5 weeks the speed doesn't exceed (any speedtest, consistently) 650-680 megabit down.

Complete power off to both cable modem and router for 5 min - no impact, still (!) 650-680 megabit down when all powered up and running.

Router restart - no impact.

Cable modem restart - no impact.

Troubleshooting (the weird part):

Change the cable modem from bridge to gateway mode (90 sec).

Restart the cable modem (3-4 min).

Change the cable modem back from gateway to bridge mode (90 sec).

Speed test - back to 946/31:-).

The best uneducated explanation I can think of is the cable modem "syncs up" with Rogers' servers at a lower speed for some reason, the power off/on doesn't change that synced up speed, but this bridge-->gateway-->restart-->bridge sequence somehow forces to re-negotiate the speed back to the maximum 946 down.

No idea what to do about it, and even if anything can be done about it...

***EDITED LABELS***

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Strange recurring issue with Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM (Ignite 1 gigabit)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NorthGraves  This exact same problem has been previously reported by another user.  Trying to find that post now...

Re: Strange recurring issue with Rogers Technicolor CGM4140COM (Ignite 1 gigabit)

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Found it!  @KoN1  reported the same problem here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode/m-p...

You also both happen to be using Ubiquiti routers that run EdgeOS.  When your Internet suddenly slows down, what happens if you were to unplug your router, then connect a computer to the XB6 while it is still in bridge mode and perform a speed test?  Do you see the same results?

Taab
I Plan to Stick Around

I have this exact same issue running ubiquiti routers and the technicolor in bridge mode. 

NorthGraves
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, interesting, I will try, but what is inexplicable to me is why a complete power off of both devices doesn't change anything....but this weird sequence on the cable modem does...