So have been having speed issues ever since moving from digital cable/internet to Ignite this past weekend. I would typically get 500-700mbps when wired in my office, and with Ignite gigabit am now getting 50mbps, and occasionally 100-200.
Strangely I was expecting the biggest boost to be upspeed, but am getting the same 30mbps as I was getting before.
With the Hitron modem, this was my setup:
Hitron in bridge
Netgear R7000 as a router only and 3 TP-Link EAP225 v3 access points throughout house
Netgear then sent a signal to a switch which was daisy chained to another POE switch (for my cameras)
I also used OpenVPN on the R7000
Currently I am on a similar set up with the Ignite modem. Which as you know, Rogers doesn't really support the modem when it's in bridge mode. So I'm willing to remove the R7000 from the mix since I now run Wiregaurd on a Raspberry Pi and do not need the R7000, assuming the router features of the Rogers Ignite modem are fine.
So a few questions:
1. Presumably there is no way to "import" my list of DHCP reservations from the R7000? ... and I really hate that the Rogers Ignite modem doesn't show a list with the IPv4 address in the "connected" device listing, drives me nuts that I have to click on each device to see the IP address ... maybe I'm missing something and that view does exist?
2. I'd like to switch over from 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and then assign IPv4 addresses in the 192.168.1.x range to my devices. Any "concern" doing this in the Ignite modem?
3. Seems the Rogers modem assigns both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to devices, not sure how it determines which, maybe the device itself is the one doing the determination. Am I best off to manually add the devices using my current IPv4 addresses and known MAC address manually before hooking the switch up to the modem?
I'm hoping after doing the above, if I still have speed issues, and I see no reason why it would make a difference to the speed, in particular when wired, the tech on the other side will in fact help!
Anything else I need to consider?
Oh, and as well, is the QoS relatively easy to use? With WFH I need to ensure my devices are prioritized over my son's gaming systems! 🙂
@PVC wrote: Strangely I was expecting the biggest boost to be upspeed, but am getting the same 30mbps as I was getting before.
Not sure why you'd expect more since that's the max that Rogers provides per the website.
@PVC Before you make any major configuration changes to your network, I would first disable bridge mode on the XB6, then connect your computer directly to the Ignite gateway using an Ethernet cable. Now perform speed tests on https://www.speedtest.net , https://fast.com and https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
If you have a fast-enough computer, you should be able to attain the maximum advertised speed.
By the way, Rogers does support enabling bridge mode on the XB6 gateway. What Rogers cannot support are customers who run Ignite TV over their own (3rd-party, untested, unsupported) network gear.
So this Ignite Modem/router is really confusing me as it relates to Connected Devices. I am literally typing this from a connected Dell server, but in the Connected Devices section, this shows up as "Not Connected". Along with numerous other devices that are clearly connected and working.
When Devices are listed in the "not connected" section, I am unable to actually Port Forward (need to do a port forward to a RaspPi I have which I am using with WireGaurd).
Also, I accidentally reserved an IP address against a device, then wanted to change that and reserve the same address to another device and switch the former device to DHCP. So I switched it to DHCP, turned the device off, and now when I try to reserve the IP Address again, it tells me I've already reserved that address to another device, even though that is the one that shows up as DHCP and disconnected??
Okay, so I rebooted the modem (unplugged for 25 seconds). Same issue, I can't reserve the IP Address because it says it is already reserved. Even though it clearly shows "DHCP" now and not reserved in the devices list.
The Raspberry Pi "wifi" adaptor MAC address it is reserved to says connected, but it's clearly not as I have the Pi connected via LAN.
If I ping the "wifi" address, I get no response, since, again, it's not connected even though for some reason the modem says it is.
If I ping the Ethernet connected address (the one I want to change), which the modem says is not connected, I get a response.
Humorous. When I connected the switch directly to the modem, was getting ~800mbps or so down. So went through all this trouble to forward a port (took about an hour of keeping the Pi active before the XB6 finally saw it as a connected device, which is the dumbest thing in the world that you can't set up port forwarding on any device regardless of state!). I then did all my 25 or so IP Address reservations.
And back to ~90mbps download speeds when wired.