cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers ignite 1.5 Gig DL service 100% packet loss to XBOX live

Halfjap1980
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I have just switched from Bell 1 gig DL fiber internet to 1.5 gig DL with Rogers ignite. All of my devices are working perfectly except for my Xbox series X. Although I’m able to connect my console to Xbox live and play online games, I’ve noticed a significant degrade in performance. When running the network test on my Xbox series X I’m getting great speeds for UL and DL but I’m also getting 100% packet loss. When running a ping test from within the Rogers modem I’m able to ping Rogers.com, Google, etc without issue but when I try to ping xboxlive.ca or Xbox.ca all packets are lost. I e gone through what troubleshooting steps I can find which included port forwarding, enabling DMZ (independently not at the same time), entering an alternate DNS in my Xbox settings but nothing has made any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

Kenji

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rogers ignite 1.5 Gig DL service 100% packet loss to XBOX live

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Halfjap1980 When I tried to ping xboxlive.ca, it failed with an "unknown host" error.  I was able to resolve xbox.ca but the server at that address did not respond to pings.

The whois service confirms that both the xbox.ca and xboxlive.ca domains are registered to Microsoft Canada.  However, when I query xboxlive.ca in DNS, it does not return any resource records; it is as if they shut that domain down.

Halfjap1980
I've been here awhile

Hi -G-.

Thanks for the quick response. When you query the address in the DNS are you using the default provided with the router? 64.71.255.204 - primary and 64.71.255.198 - secondary? One of the troubleshooting steps from Microsoft is to try using a different DNS (8.8.8.8 pri 8.8.4.4 sec which is Google I believe) which I'm able to do in my XBOX but if I can't change it in the Ignite modem as well I'm not sure if it makes a difference? Is there a way to change the DNS configured in the modem or is that a static value? I'm experiencing the same issue on both my xbox series X and series S which are both connected via ethernet Cat 6 cables. I never had an issue while on Bell so not sure why this could be happening now.

@Halfjap1980  I do not use Rogers' name servers on the computer that I tested with, and I tried querying several public name servers.  Here's what you get when you look up xboxlive.ca and xbox.ca using Google DNS:

% nslookup

> server 8.8.8.8

Default server: 8.8.8.8

Address: 8.8.8.8#53

> set type=ANY

> xboxlive.ca

Server: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:

xboxlive.ca nameserver = ns1-01.azure-dns.com.

xboxlive.ca nameserver = ns2-01.azure-dns.net.

xboxlive.ca nameserver = ns3-01.azure-dns.org.

xboxlive.ca nameserver = ns4-01.azure-dns.info.

xboxlive.ca

origin = ns1-01.azure-dns.com

mail addr = azuredns-hostmaster.microsoft.com

serial = 1

refresh = 3600

retry = 300

expire = 2419200

minimum = 300

Authoritative answers can be found from:

> xbox.ca

Name: xbox.ca

Address: 20.112.52.29

Address: 20.81.111.85

Address: 20.84.181.62

Address: 20.103.85.33

Address: 20.53.203.50

xbox.ca nameserver = ns1-05.azure-dns.com.

xbox.ca nameserver = ns2-05.azure-dns.net.

xbox.ca nameserver = ns3-05.azure-dns.org.

xbox.ca nameserver = ns4-05.azure-dns.info.

xbox.ca

origin = ns1-05.azure-dns.com

mail addr = azuredns-hostmaster.microsoft.com

serial = 1

refresh = 3600

retry = 300

expire = 2419200

minimum = 300

Authoritative answers can be found from:

> set type=a

> xboxlive.ca

*** Can't find xboxlive.ca: No answer

> xbox.ca

Address: 20.112.52.29

Address: 20.81.111.85

Address: 20.84.181.62

Address: 20.103.85.33

Address: 20.53.203.50

>

When you try to look up an IP address for xboxlive.ca, nothing gets returned and that is why the ping fails.

% ping xboxlive.ca

ping: cannot resolve xboxlive.ca: Unknown host

Unfortunately, there is no setting on the Ignite Gateway to configure a 3rd-party DNS service but in this case, it would not make any difference.

As far as I can tell, this is Microsoft Canada's problem, not Rogers.

Halfjap1980
I've been here awhile
Thanks for all the detail. I think this confirms it is in fact an Xbox issue as far as the 100% packet loss goes. I still have my Bell service so I tried sapping back to see what the difference was. I guess I just never noticed before but I’m also getting 100% packet loss when testing on Bell. The only difference is my in game ping which I’m guess is is just the difference between fiber to the home vs copper to the home. I’m game ping on Bell is 9 - 12 ms ping consistently (depending on my opponent). With Rogers my ping ranges from 16 - 40 ms and fluctuates during the gaming session vs just changing per connection to opponent. Honestly not the end of the world but given that I’m getting .5 gig higher speed I would have hoped for at least a similar gaming experience.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation