cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers email spam filter

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Hello community. In the last ~2 weeks, I’ve been getting a ton of spam sent to my Rogers mailbox…anywhere from 5-10 per day. Prior to these last 2 weeks, I wasn’t getting any spam at all. Does anyone know if Rogers changed their spam filtering settings recently? And no, I haven’t changed anything on my end nor did I subscribe to anything using my email address 🙂

*** Edited Labels ***

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Rogers email spam filter

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I think there has been an increase in spam. I do not use the rogers email address but on my Gmail, I am seeing more there and Google has really good filters.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed : I assume you're talking about Webmail?  I have not seen an increase in spam in my Rogers/Yahoo e-mail.  I have not seen any spam go into my inbox there in several years. Their filter has become very good.  I sometimes get suspected spam going into my spam folder on Webmail. Sometimes it's real spam, sometimes its a "real" e-mail from a new business I've just dealt with. I probably see about 2 of these in total per month.  When I use Outlook client on my computer, I never see spam because any spam stays in Webmail (spam folder) or is filtered before getting to Webmail.  (We have 5 e-mail addresses at Rogers/Yahoo for various purposes)

@Don_Ca : You're right about Gmail.  I have never seen any spam there, although that e-mail is mainly a backup for me.

ve3tej
I plan to stick around

Yes something has changed in the last few days.

In outlook , my bulk folder is  getting a lot of junk mail that I never got before.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you go into Webmail (which you should be doing once in a while to check for real e-mail in the spam folder) do you open the spam e-mail in your inbox and click the "spam" button at the top?  This helps Rogers/Yahoo with their algorithms and moves that e-mail from the inbox to spam, so it shouldn't be seen in Outlook.

Tallgirl
I've been around
I have also noticed a significant increase in my spam email in the past month. Most of this would have been filtered out in the past. I am also receiving 5-10 spam emails a day. In the past it was more like 1-2 a month at the very most.

jhunter
I'm here a lot

I have also seen a large number of spam to two of my rogers accounts.  Same as others.  5-10 per day now. Something definitely changed a month or two ago.  They may all be from the same sender.  Just randomly generated it seems.  Marking them as SPAM does NOTHING!  I'm pretty close to getting rid of these two email accounts for good which was the last thing keeping me on Rogers Internet...

cfillion1
I plan to stick around

Have you ever found an answer to this? I've been using Rogers/Yahoo for 15 years and i have *never* seen spam like this. And it's on both my @rogers (main) account and my @ yahoo.ca account. I mark each one as spam without opening, but they are relentless and always from a different 'sender' so flagging them does nothing.

I haven't used these email addresses for anything funky - i have throwaways for that. Something absolutely changed. I, too, am about ready to delete these email addresses. I saw a response above saying there is a general increase in spam, but nothing is getting through the gmail filters. It's a Rogers/Yahoo problem.

This is today alone, so far. There will be the same amount again by this evening.

spm.png

Kim17
I've been here awhile

I have the same issue.  Starting late 2021, I am getting 10-20+ spam emails per day.  I have tried putting in filters but I believe that only works in the inbox and not if they are in the junk/spam folder.

Has Rogers replied to this issue?

ve3tej
I plan to stick around

I go to webmail everyday and block the senders, but the spam keeps coming

cfillion1
I plan to stick around

Bringing this back because the last few weeks have been insane with the amount of  spam emails getting through the filters. Back to 10-15 per day. Reporting as spam makes no difference at all. What is going on?

Hello @cfillion1!

Stopping spam is like attempting to hit a moving target. While each report does help us to shut those examples down, spammers are constantly evolving their tactics to sneak past our guards. Please continue to report spam as it comes in.

As a possible workaround, I would recommend having a secondary email address that you only use to sign up for services online while keeping your personal and professional emails separate. You risk inviting more spam everytime you enter your email address into a website, app or service. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

HockeyMum
I've been around

I have 15 new spam emails today in my rogers account.  14 different ones yesterday. At least 10 every other day for the last month or so.  I have blocked senders, deleted, flagged as spam, moved to junk.  Nothing is working.   Very, very, frustrating.   Nothing in either of my gmail accounts.  Surely Rogers can figure this out?

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

I had 19 spam emails that went into my inbox, and 45 in my spam folder - just from today!  Zero in my gmail account.

Hello @HockeyMum,

Thanks for posting your issue via the Rogers Community! We hope you like it here. 🙂

Receiving unsolicited emails can surely be a nuisance. I've had to deal with this myself and although it's usually manageable, there are days where the spam emails are relentless! Your best bet is to continue flagging these emails as 'spam' in your inbox as they come in.

Please also check out this Community Knowledge Base article on Email Spamming to get more info on how to report any fraudulent-based emails to the appropriate teams. This will help in our efforts to combat these types of messages from continuing to be sent. As always, please remember to never click on any links within an email if it looks sketchy or is coming from a non-trustworthy source. 

Thanks and have a nice day! 

RogersYasmine

HeatherMcL
I've been around
I have done all the things, I can't stop the spam. It was never an issue 6 months ago but now there are EASILY 10-15 spam emails a day. This has never happened before and if I don't check emails each day, I will have over 100 emails, 75% of them are spam. What is going on, Rogers?? It was happening before the big Rogers blackout and has been worse since. Nothing in Gmail.

Same for me - called - nothing they can do other than highlight spam, and block senders, but they still keep on coming.  Been like this since the service failure in summer

Greetings @HeatherMcL and @Marnyo!

Is this spam 100% unsolicited or is it coming from websites and services that you may have used your Rogers email to sign up for?

Regards,

RogersCorey

dnwillia
I've been around

Same here, still a problem.  It's not coming from websites that I use, completely unsolicited, like the spam filters are not working at all.   Like others here, no issue with GMail at all.  It's specific to Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm lucky that I don't get very much spam.  Perhaps a couple of e-mails per month and they almost end up in my Rogers/Yahoo spam folder.  I think I've seen one get through to my Outlook e-mail client in the last couple of years.

The ones that end up in my Rogers/Yahoo spam folder are almost always associated with a few of my contacts that had their e-mails hacked.  I'm guessing Rogers/Yahoo filter is aware of those.

I use a separate e-mail address dedicated to web purchases, etc.

Topic Stats