cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers/Xfinity Advanced Security Blocking DNS over HTTPS Provider

User2453
I plan to stick around
Starting today I began to encounter an issue with my work machine running a custom DNS server for DoH(DNS over HTTPS/QUIC), it has been misclassified as a security risk by Rogers Iginite Advance Wifi security, I would like this to be fixed as not to impede my abilities to work. I attempted to reach out via the chat and phone but as always no assistance was rendered nor a while to help me, please publish a traditional email where support can be provided through Rogers has showed time and time again of not being capable of provided support over a "live" chat means or even over the phone where representatives are not knowledge on the technicals of the products and how they operate.

DESKTOP-XXXXXX 03.02, 01:57 Content from dns.nextdns.io was blocked

Please exclude dns.nextdns.io from blacklists, and in the future please notify the customers if a security issue is indeed detected. If Rogers did indeed detect malware at any point in time and the customer is not notified, what use is that? Just let the malware continue to exist on customers networks with being minimally hobbled by having some communications restricted? Friggin goofy idea, do your jobs eh.

***Added Labels***
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rogers/Xfinity Advanced Security Blocking DNS over HTTPS Provider

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

Just posting here will not get this resolved, most help here is from regular users.  This could be a big issue for work from home people that are using a more secure DNS.  I think the core problem is Rogers (and this is inherited from Comcast where this whole system comes from) really only wants you to use their DNS servers.  

User2453
I plan to stick around

I did eventually find an email to submit misclassifications on an FAQ page for Parental Control and not the Advanced Security FAQ, not a single Rogers employee I talked to had any insight into this reporting address.

FAQs about Parental Controls on Ignite WiFi Hub - Rogers

"Please contact us at ignitewifiblock@rci.rogers.com and we’ll take a look at the categorization of the website in question."

I did submit a request through there but have had no response.

I do find something interesting after posting here I had a Rogers Rep call my home phone line and leave a message to "help resolve" this issue, instead of just plainly responding here I was given the general call center number and no direct extension or information on how to connect to this individual. After jumping through the call queue hurdles I was given the one and only solution of turning off this feature, which I find ridiculous.

What type of security product is so mismanaged and wasteful? If you setup a port forward for something like SMTP you'll get an email within 24 hours to close it down, but if you have DNS requests for a malware command and control server they'll just block them and never let you know unless you open up their subpar Xfinity app clone and go to the specific menu for alerts.

Rogers has befuddled me for decades with their incompetence, and it just keeps piling on, I wonder at what point will their disjointed technical operations lead to the compromising of the security of millions of Canadians?

Rogers Communications, 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

Rogers will need to get something working, there will be more people using such services, but as I said, they want you to use their DNS.  

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation