cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite XB6 and Mesh Router

Ayrhead
I've been here awhile

Had Rogers with 300 Mbps service before Xmas.

Upgraded to rogers Ignite 500 - Intenet speeds dropped from 275 MBps on average to <100

Xb6 (Black slanted top) - in Bridge mode

First mesh router COVR 1203

Reset it all and retried - no luck

One with support x3 no luck

Tech came out and looked at it - got a bit better for a while - now back to the same

Spoke to tech support again - connect PC direct to cable modem (scary) - got high speed. (disconnected )

Tech state router teh issue

Went out today and spent $400 on Nest Wifi

Connected and same issue (ARGHHHHH!) 

Any suggestions on next steps ?

***Added Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rogers Ignite XB6 and Mesh Router

RogersTony

Hello, @Ayrhead

We appreciate you posting your concerns to our community. 🙂

I know how important it is to get the speeds you are paying for. We currently are only able to support setups with the XB6 gateway modem only. If you are getting the correct speeds when you are directly connected to the modem then it is most likely an issue with the configuration of your third-party equipment.

While we cannot support third-party equipment directly, we have several resident experts who may be able to provide some insight on how to get this working better for you. I will tag them into this post now: @-G-, @Gdkitty, @Datalink

If there are any other users in the community who can provide assistance please feel free to chime in.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not familiar with the D-Link COVR or the Google Nest Wi-Fi systems, so I cannot offer any specific configuration advice.  I also don't know anything about @Ayrhead 's installation such as the size of the home, modem location, the number of devices, or placement of the Wi-Fi mesh nodes.

However, I would advise initially leaving Bridge Mode disabled on the XB6, and to try using it in its default configuration without any third-party equipment.  Confirm that you are getting the upload and download speeds that you are paying for using a wired Ethernet connection.  You should also use a Wi-Fi scanner to map out the areas where you have good Wi-Fi connectivity and the areas where you need to improve coverage.

If you need to use a mesh network to get proper Wi-Fi coverage in your home then, ideally, you need to place the primary node in a central location that has good Wi-Fi connectivity to the other secondary nodes.  Some Wi-Fi mesh systems also support using a wired backhaul network, and this is useful in situations where your primary node is in a location that does not have good Wi-Fi connectivity to the other mesh nodes.  However, you need to ensure that your mesh nodes are interconnected in a manner (and topology) supported by the manufacturer.

Some mesh networks can operate in "AP mode" where they simply provide Wi-Fi connectivity.  This can improve network throughput because the primary node does not have to act as a router/firewall or provide any other advanced functions.  You connect the primary node to the XB6 using an Ethernet cable, leave bridge mode on the XB6 disabled, and disable the internal Wi-Fi on the XB6.

If you want to take advantage of the full capabilities that your Wi-Fi mesh systems offers, you can still perform initial testing with bridge mode disabled on the XB6, then enable bridge mode on the XB6 later.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ayrhead can you have a look at the bottom of the modem for the modem's model number.  It should be an Arris TG-4582ER or a Technicolor CGM-4140COM, the Technicolor being the preferred version.  

For the purposes of troubleshooting I'd keep the modem in Gateway mode.  That gets rid of the tech excuse, oh its the router.  Nope the modem is in Gateway mode with a capable test pc/laptop behind it.  Next ..........

You really have to know that the test pc/laptop is capable of running 500+ Mb/s in order to adequately test the modem throughput.  We had a laptop around at one point that wouldn't go above 200  Mb/s wired or wifi, so, you y need to have seen the particular desktop/laptop running at or above 500 Mb/s to stand your ground with tech support or the field techs.

You can still connect a router or mesh network to the modem although it certainly isn't the preferred configuration.  

You should be seeing 500 Mb/s thru the ethernet port of the modem, using a desktop or a workstation or gaming laptop.  If that's not happening and you know that the desktop/laptop is capable of those data rates, then the first question is, what do the signal levels look like, and go from there? 

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation