cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline and Wifi - Connecting Access Point via Powerline?

DrMike
I'm a trusted contributor

Does anyone have experience (good, bad or otherwise) in using an old router as an access point but connecting the AP via a PowerLine adaptor.

I have an XB7 (Arris) and a 1.5 GB internet plan but the stability (not strength per se) my wireless connection to IoT devices has been suspect from time to time. I have an old ASUS AC68U router collecting dust and it has been suggested to try configuring that as an AP to see if I can get past my inconsistent device operations. In getting ready to do that, I started to wonder about putting the ASUS AP in a location more remote from where my XB7 is and the only real option to do that is via PowerLine. I have zero experience with PowerLine adaptors however, and wondered if this is feasible or desirable. In this case I am not really looking for raw speed, but to get more consistent WiFi coverage so I thought locating the AP elsewhere might help on that front.

Good idea? Terrible Idea?  

**Labels Added**

1 REPLY 1

Re: Powerline and Wifi - Connecting Access Point via Powerline?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Four years ago I purchased the following when I had an Airport Extreme connected to a bridged Rogers modem and had issues with speed in my basement home theatre:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630-kit/

Do not believe the high speed claims over any distance.  I'm satisfied and get about 100 mbps speed via Ethernet and WiFi when close to the unit.  I liked that it had both Ethernet and WiFi, so no AP required. 

My installation has the IgniteTV gateway on the second floor of my two-storey home, near the front of the house and the adaptor is in the basement at the back of the house - total distance about 15 metres (straight line).

I have my IgniteTV STB plugged in via Ethernet and use a MacBook Air, usually via WiFi, near to the unit next to my home theatre TV.  I also connect my iPad and iPhone via WiFi when I'm in the basement and they even connect to the adaptor on the main floor of my house.  As I get closer to the IgniteTV gateway on the second floor, the mobile devices switch seamlessly to the IgniteTV XB7 gateway.

I get 1.4 Gbps on my Mac Mini M2 connected via Ethernet to the XB7, port 4.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation