cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB7 + router, is bridge mode worth it?

bakacoriolis1
I've been here awhile

Hello everyone. I am a recent new customer of Ignite 1.5g using a XB7 modem, coming from Fido 150u using a CODA-4582U. I've noticed a few things, such as no speedboost. 150u starts at 700 and then stabilizes at 500 or so. 1.5G starts at 100, and then reaches 700, and back down to 480 or so.  This is wired, ethernet. I am paying less for 1.5G than 150u, so I am not complaining.

My question is, I am using a Linksys WiFi 6 router, and have it plugged into Port 1, and my PC plugged into port 4 (2.5 port). Both my PC and Router have gigabit ports, no 2.5 port. I connect all my devices to the Linksys router, and it seems to work fine. WiFi speeds are about 500/50 which is standard for WiFi6. 

Right now, the XB7 in gateway mode, and my router works fine. Previously with the CODA 150u, I used bridge mode. Can I leave it as is? Or is it better to convert it to bridge mode?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: XB7 + router, is bridge mode worth it?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bakacoriolis1 wrote:

Hello everyone. I am a recent new customer of Ignite 1.5g using a XB7 modem, coming from Fido 150u using a CODA-4582U. I've noticed a few things, such as no speedboost. 150u starts at 700 and then stabilizes at 500 or so. 1.5G starts at 100, and then reaches 700, and back down to 480 or so.  This is wired, ethernet. I am paying less for 1.5G than 150u, so I am not complaining.

That's strange.  You should be able to attain 940 Mb/s on speed tests over Gigabit Ethernet when directly connected to the XB7.

My question is, I am using a Linksys WiFi 6 router, and have it plugged into Port 1, and my PC plugged into port 4 (2.5 port). Both my PC and Router have gigabit ports, no 2.5 port. I connect all my devices to the Linksys router, and it seems to work fine. WiFi speeds are about 500/50 which is standard for WiFi6. 

Right now, the XB7 in gateway mode, and my router works fine. Previously with the CODA 150u, I used bridge mode. Can I leave it as is? Or is it better to convert it to bridge mode?

If you are using your own router, then I would enable Bridge Mode on your XB7 gateway.  Otherwise, you will end up in a double-NAT IPv4 configuration, which can cause problems for some applications, and you will end up with broken IPv6 connectivity.

However, things get more complicated if you are also an Ignite TV customer.  Rogers will not be able to provide you with any support if you enable Bridge Mode on your XB7 or run Ignite TV over your own network gear.

bakacoriolis1
I've been here awhile

Just internet service, no other services from Rogers.

I made multiple tests of speed online, as well as Steam downloads, Linux torrent downloads, and it barely ever goes up past 800, usually stays in 500-700 on ethernet, direct connection. I'm not too concerned with speed. I will put the modem in bridge then, so far no IPv4/IPv6 issues with all the devices in our household, but I do agree that preventative is better.

Originally I had the XB7 in bridge when I first received it, but I completely lost the ability to log into 10.0.0.1 so I had to factory reset to change it back to gateway.

@bakacoriolis1 wrote:

Originally I had the XB7 in bridge when I first received it, but I completely lost the ability to log into 10.0.0.1 so I had to factory reset to change it back to gateway.

That should only happen if you configured your router to use the 10.0.0.0/24 address space on its internal LAN.  If you are using 192.168.1.0/24 or another IP addressing that does not conflict, you should still be able to connect to http://10.0.0.1 even while your Ignite Gateway is in Bridge Mode.

If you have an IP addressing conflict and need to use 10.0.0.0/24 on your internal LAN, you should also be able to reconfigure your XB7 to use a different address space.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Nope...my local LAN addresses are 191.168.1.* and XB7 is in bridge mode I cannot get to 10.0.0.1, never have ben able to when in bridge mode.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

Nope...my local LAN addresses are 191.168.1.* and XB7 is in bridge mode I cannot get to 10.0.0.1, never have ben able to when in bridge mode.

I have had an Arris and Technicolor XB6, Technicolor XB7, and a Technicolor XB8, and have used all in bridge mode, and have had no problems connecting to http://10.0.0.1 to access my stats or to switch into and out of bridge mode.  No special router config required.  The Comcast gateways are able to intercept the 10.0.0.1 traffic and route it internally rather than forward it.

Some routers/firewalls will not forward packets destined to  RFC 1918 addresses onto the public Internet.  If yours blocks or discards them, that will prevent you from accessing your Ignite gateway from your internal LAN.

In some situations, you may also need to configure your router so that it sends packets, destined to your modem/gateway's management address, onto the local WAN Ethernet segment, and that may require configuriing a static route, firewall rulesets, or you may just need to configure a secondary address on your WAN interface.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation