cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem only receives ipv6 address and no ipv4

rajiteh
I've been here awhile

Helllo all, I woke up today to see my modem showing solid WHITE indicating it has managed to go online. However, upon further inspection I noticed that it has only received WAN IPv6 address and not the IPv4 (it shows as 0.0.0.0) -- On top of this,  Roger's assigned IPv6 DNS does not seem to provide DNS64/NAT64 services so I'm restricted to accessing other IPv6 addresses only.  Now I'm forced to use a free NAT64 service to get my internet to work as expected, albeit having to proxy my data through some random proxy in europe.

I hope this IPv4 is going to back to my modem eventually and if anybody wants to get back up and running you can use a free  NAT64 from here - https://nat64.net/ 

** Edited Labels ***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Modem only receives ipv6 address and no ipv4

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That might make sense partially in what I am seeing.
I am getting a WAN IPv4 address... but browsing, apps, etc only get about 1/2 working.
More than likely only to ones which have a v6 address.

When I go manual/add say the google ipv4 DNS, then i can get to anything.

So it looks like overall seems to be a more problem with the v4 networking as a whole, from asisgnment in your case, to DNS.

rajiteh
I've been here awhile
Just bumping this post to update that there’s really no improvement yet. I’m from L6Y area (Brampton)

stmb
I've been here awhile
This is exactly my last remaining issue from Fridays outage. Ongoing this morning in L3T.

Makes me think the outage was IP4 address related. I've never had V6 without V4. Weird.

Mega31
I'm here a lot
Same Thing here. No IPV4 only IPV6. Annoyed. It was working last night….

Wadge
I've been here awhile

Really hoping I can get an IPv4 before tomorrow otherwise that'll be 2 days unable to work thanks to this outage. Unfortunately the free NAT64 service mentioned won't help when it comes to connecting to the office - I don't think they'd be too happy with me using that service on a work laptop.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

Can someone explain what is a ipv6 address vs ipv4.  I tried a google search but I really don't understand the difference/importance. 

dragonslaya
I'm here a lot

I am having exact same issue and the tech on phone refused to listen to me and just shrugged me off and said we need to send out a tech to swap your modem. Very frustrating when customers who are paying rogers are more knowledgeable then the tech support who are suppose to be helping the end user's. N1R Area

Wadge
I've been here awhile

I just got an IPv4 - lets hope it sticks around 🤞 (N5P Postal Code Area)

Just got my ip4v too, its finally working!!! See how long

stmb
I've been here awhile
Just got an IPv4 address too!! Fully online now!!

stmb
I've been here awhile

here's a gross oversimplification:

IPv4 and IPv6 are both address formats for the internet, IPv4 being the original format.  IPv4 look like 192.168.0.1.  IPv6 addresses were created because we are going to run out of IPv4 addresses with all the devices on the internet.  IPv6 look like fe80::226:86ff:fe4a:cbb9.   

If you don't have an IPv4 address, you can't send or receive data from IPv4 servers: you don't have an address on that network.  Most of the internet is still using IPv4 addresses only, with some notable exceptions: Google and Netflix, for example, can send traffic to IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

So, with only an IPv6 address - you can only access a subset of the internet.  You need an IPv4 address to access the vast majority of it.

Hope this helps.

jjjjy7
I'm a reliable contributor

@stmb   thank you

mattwelke
I've been around

I have this problem too. We just had our Rogers internet installed today, switching from Bell for a promotion price that is lower. I get an ipv6 address but not an ipv4 address. Upload is also very slow. Not sure if that's related.

ClintE
I've been around
Bumping this thread since I have the same problem. Brand new customer and I have not had reliable IPv4 service for a week. 90% of the time my connections to all IPv4 sites will time out. Rogers seems unable to help. Does anyone know the fix? I am getting desperate here.
Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 9 in conversation