cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moca Usage For Fibre Connected XB7

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

So I have fibre coming in to the house. Does the moca functionality work on the XB7 so that I can transport signal to the other side of the house that way?

I have 2 moca 2.5g adapters that I'm using right now to do (Ethernet > Moca > Coax > Moca > Ethernet.

I want to do (XB7 > Moca > Ethernet) so I have a spare device.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Moca Usage For Fibre Connected XB7

Good comeback by you. One Answer:  I have the XB7 (but not Fibre) and working fine with a single JMCom 2.0 MoCA Adapter where out connection is Coax Cable directly from Modem, and then to a basement end connection, where a Coax Splitter of same cable into single MoCA Device, and then Ethernet out / through a TP Link AX1500 Router ( low end device) and into Ethernet port of a Dell PC. Hope that helps. Key point: Singe MoCA device required only.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ChristopherR, simple question, you indicated that you have fibre coming in to the house.  Bell Fibre or Rogers Fibre?  Was this installed prior to your arrival in your home, or was it installed recently so that you know if its Bell or Rogers fibre?

I'm assuming that your potentially running a legacy Hitron modem and looking to move up to Fibre service.  In both cases, Bell and Rogers, you can run over 1 Gb/s to your network.  The router model will be the determining factor in the data rate between the modem and router, which in turn allows greater than 1 Gb/s speeds.

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

Rogers Fibre. I have an XB7 (Technicolor).

Are we talking about the same post?

My questions was related to whether the MoCA functionality of the modem is working so that I can eliminate one of my adapters, and if there is any information available on setup for MoCA on the XB7.

@ChristopherR wrote:

Rogers Fibre. I have an XB7 (Technicolor).

When you say that you have "Rogers Fibre", is this the new 2.5 Gigabit XGS-PON Internet service (where the XB7 is connected by Ethernet to a Nokia ONT) OR do you have a DOCSIS Internet service where your XB7 is coax-connected to an RFoG ONU?

My questions was related to whether the MoCA functionality of the modem is working so that I can eliminate one of my adapters, and if there is any information available on setup for MoCA on the XB7.

There are settings to enable MoCA on the gateway (go to "Gateway > Connection > MoCA") and to select the channel.

I have no idea whether this works or can be used in any configuration, nor do I have the equipment to test it.

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around
XGS-GPON.

I'm aware of the location of the settings. I was asking to see if anyone has experimented with this or has been successful in getting it to work.

Thanks for your input.

Does anyone have experience with MoCA via the XB7? Thanks!

@ChristopherR you had three posts up this morning concerning MoCA and fibre.  I was trying to figure out if you're currently running Rogers fibre which uses a Nokia Optical Network Terminal (ONT), and if so, how your were connecting to the modem.  At the same time, you were commenting on the inability to run higher data rates.  

So, I'm trying to answer your query and concerns here.  Hopefully I've interpreted your posts correctly:

It looks like Comcast has enabled the MoCa functionality in the XB7.  I refer you to the following thread:

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/is-the-gateway-xb7-moca-enabled/602dafccc...

I can see a problem here in that your modem's primary WAN connection is probably set as the 2.5 Gb/s ethernet port.  Since MoCA is an RG-6 cable connected system, that means one of two things:

1.  That Comcast has disabled the MoCA capability when the primary WAN is set to the 2.5 Gb/s ethernet port; or

2.  That Comcast has actually been smart about this and enabled the cable port as a MoCA port when the primary WAN is set to the 2.5 Gb/s ethernet port;

I suspect that tech support won't have an answer for you and that you're going to have to experiment to determine if the cable port is active for MoCA purposes.  It will either work, or it won't.  The only individual who might be able to tell you is the Roger's product manager for the modems, and I wouldn't guarantee that he or she has an answer for that one. 

To run higher data rates, you can bypass the modem and connect the ONT directly to a router.  There appears to be two Nokia ONTs that Rogers is using.  The first one, which I don't have the model number for has two ethernet ports, one runs at 1 Gb/s and one runs at 10 Gb/s.  You can connect directly to either one with a router, but only the 10 Gb/s port will provide the ability to run above 1 Gb/s in terms of real data rates.  The router of course would have to have a 10 Gb/s port. 

The second ONT is a Nokia XS-010X-Q.  Here's a thread from yesterday and today, started by @MRobi1, where he has the Nokia XS-010X-Q.  That ONT has a single ethernet port that runs at 1/10 Gb/s.  So, it will run at 10 Gb/s if its connected to a router which has a 10 Gb/s port. 

Re: Bypass the XB7 - Rogers Community

Here's some FCC links for the Nokia XS-010X-Q:

Nokia XS-010X-Q on fcc.io
Nokia XS-010X-Q device photos (fcc.io)
Nokia XS-010X-Q Quick Reference Guide
Nokia XS-010X-Q FCC Declaration of Conformity

If you're going to run a MoCA network with or without the modem as one of the adapters, you should ensure that the inbound cable from the local Rogers tap is not connected to your house cable system.  In the basement or wherever the external RG-6 copper cable enters the house, disconnect that from the house internal cable network.  That will ensure that there's no MoCA data leakage out of the house.  The external cable should be disconnected at the local tap, but, I wouldn't assume that has been done.  

You will also need a two way or three way MoCA 2.0 splitter, where the input port is not connected to anything and the output ports are connected to the cables that are part of the MoCA system. 

@ChristopherR wrote:
XGS-GPON.

I'm aware of the location of the settings. I was asking to see if anyone has experimented with this or has been successful in getting it to work.

If you are going to experiment with this, I would suggest first going to "Gateway > Connection > WAN Network" and changing the "WAN Network" setting from Auto to Ethernet.

If you can still enable MoCA on the Ignite Gateway in this configuration, you can try experimenting further.  If the MoCA settings get greyed out, then you are totally out of luck.

As I already said, I have no experience with this and I have no ability to test, so I can't offer any more advice.  I'm quite positive that Rogers will not provide any support for this configuration.

Best of luck with getting this working and please post your findings!

jaymielke
I've been around

Were you able to get this to work?  I'm wanting to do the same, but don't want to upgrade to Ignite until I know it will work

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jaymielke wrote:

Were you able to get this to work?  I'm wanting to do the same, but don't want to upgrade to Ignite until I know it will work

FYI, Rogers will not provide any support for this configuration, even if it does happen to work now.  If this is something that is that critical to you, you will need to have a backup plan in place in case it suddenly stops working.

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

I can confirm that connecting a MoCA adapter to the coaxial port on the XB8 and turning it on in the (brutally limited) interface does work. There is no option to configure anything but it does work.

Good comeback by you. One Answer:  I have the XB7 (but not Fibre) and working fine with a single JMCom 2.0 MoCA Adapter where out connection is Coax Cable directly from Modem, and then to a basement end connection, where a Coax Splitter of same cable into single MoCA Device, and then Ethernet out / through a TP Link AX1500 Router ( low end device) and into Ethernet port of a Dell PC. Hope that helps. Key point: Singe MoCA device required only.

ChristopherR
I plan to stick around

Perfect. Thanks very much! Finally! lol

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation