cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues in Bridge Mode

I've been here awhile

I recently got the Ignite Home Internet and have setup the XB7 in bridge mode so that clients are connected through my ASUS router. The internet is running well except for 2 things:

• Speeds in bridge mode (200-300 Mbps wired, 30-100 Mbps wireless) are nowhere near the gigabit speeds that I should be getting, however when I tested the modem before placing it in bridge mode I was getting speeds in the 800-950 Mbps range on wired
  • There seems to be an issue with port forwarding - ports forwarded on the ASUS router that were previously working with the old Hitron modem do not seem to be visible on the internet. I did not change any port forwarding settings after replacing the Hitron with the XB7

I tried factory resetting both the XB7 modem and the ASUS router with no luck. I can confirm that I am using the proper cabling (cat 5e and cat 6) for devices with wired connections. The router setup page for the ASUS confirms that the WAN port is operating at 1 Gbps.

One thing that I noticed is that the WAN IP for the XB7 is different than the one that is assigned to the ASUS router. Not sure if this matters since the modem is in bridge mode, but I did find it weird that the router has a completely different IP especially since the modem is reporting that the IP is active when I log into 10.0.0.1. Is it possible that this is creating a conflict somehow?

***Added Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Issues in Bridge Mode

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@4976 wrote:

One thing that I noticed is that the WAN IP for the XB7 is different than the one that is assigned to the ASUS router. Not sure if this matters since the modem is in bridge mode, but I did find it weird that the router has a completely different IP especially since the modem is reporting that the IP is active when I log into 10.0.0.1. Is it possible that this is creating a conflict somehow?

Yeah, this is normal behaviour.  When you enable Bridge Mode on an Ignite gateway, the gateway will still have a number of internal services running on it, so it needs to get its own IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, etc., and those are different and separate from what your own router would receive.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Does your router have the latest firmware? Are you plugged into port 1?

abba77
I plan to stick around

Check this out: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode/m-p...

Anytime I have slow speeds, I repeat the steps. Thankfully only 2 or 3 times in the last year.

If you ever power cycle the modem, dont be in bridge mode. (I think rebooting the modem using the gui is ok. Only power cycling in bridge mode cause the slower speeds).

sm30
I plan to stick around

I am also experiencing the same issue as the OP and I am on gigabit internet.

Previously I was on the white coda modem and getting 900+ Mbps in bridge mode for wired connections. I swapped out my old modem for the XB7 and now I am only getting a max of 250 Mbps.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I now get around 850 mbps 

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation