cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have two modems in one house hold?

jimmylokhandwal
I've been around

I’m fine paying for the rental of the extra unit if that’s the case. My second computer is 2 floors away from my existing modem and requires a wired connection. I have cable television in this room outfitted with a “NextBox 2.0”? I think? The one with the red bar along the bottom side. It has an etherport on the rear but I figured it didn’t work. Anyways, I say that to say I have a functioning cable connection up there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Is it possible to have two modems in one house hold?

RogersTony

Hello @jimmylokhandwal,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I can totally understand how having two modems would be convenient, especially if you have devices that need a hard-wired connection. 

To answer your question, it is not possible to have two modems provisioned on one account. Our systems will not allow this type of setup. The only option for this to work would be to activate an entirely new account at your address which would result in paying the additional rental fee along with the fee for the package. This would be very costly, you are much better off getting a Wireless Router or an Ethernet Switch to help extend the connection of the modem which is two floors away from your second computer.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Yeah, if not wiring a full ethernet connection up to where you are..

One option worth trying, would be possibly a powerline adapter?
They often cant get like the MAX speed a regular straight ethernet connection would..
But would just require plugging eithernet from the modem, to the power line adapter into a wall outlet, then the same upstairs.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jimmylokhandwal, here's one item you can have a look for, and that is to determine if your home has structured wiring installed but not completed.  Structured wiring is a cable bundle that runs from the Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement or utility room of a condo to each room where cable/phone/ethernet services would typically be found.  Each room would have one or more cable runs from that Structured Wiring Cabinet.  The bundle itself usually consists of two RG-6 cables for cable or satellite tv, one Cat-5e cable for ethernet and one Cat-3, possibly a Cat-5e for telephones.  If your home somewhere in the 15 to 20 year old range, then perhaps that Structured Wiring system is installed but never completed to its full potential.  

If you take a wallplate off the wall that happens to have a telephone or cable port, have a look within the electrical box to determine if in fact the remainder of the bundle is tucked in behind the wallplate.  Contractors will usually install one appropriate connector and tuck the remaining cables in behind the wallplate, where they sit, waiting to be discovered by the homeowner and put to use.  

The other consideration, if in fact you don't have structured wiring, is to use the cable system itself to run MoCA 2.0 to ethernet adapters in your home in order to provide ethernet access in various rooms.  You would need MoCA 2.0 adapters, a MoCA filter on the inbound cable from the street and a MoCA 2.0 qualifed splitter in place of the Rogers splitter, or, in place of the filter and splitter, a MoCA 2.0 amplifier which has a built in filter.  The filter prevents your MoCA data from leaving the house, where it will interfere with the neighbours cable systems, and prevent any external MoCA data from entering the home, interfering with your MoCA cable system.  

If you read thru the following post, starting with this thread, you will find a considerable amount of information that will provide the guidance for this, if you choose to go down this path.  First thing I would do is check for structured wiring, at the wallplate and at the structured wiring cabinet.  I would also check for the presence of a second RG-6 cable set, which would make a MoCA 2.0 system very easy to run.  Using the secondary cables would allow you to run an internal ethernet system (over cable) where the only crossover point to/from the outside world is from the modem to the first MoCA 2.0 adapter. 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Wifi-extender-for-hitron-coda-4582/m-p/425310#M53154

jaroadshow
I've been here awhile

I have Rogers Wireless high speed ( 300 Mbps)  Internet. I have their wireless modem in my upstairs office.  I'd like to add a second purchased modem to install in my basement so I can hard wire it to my basement family room "Smart" T.V.

I would install the second modem in the basement by running the main cable line to a splitter to run one line to my Rogers wireless modem in my upstairs office and the second line to the new purchased modem to hard wire to my basement T.V.   Wondering if this would cause any problems to my signal strength overall or cause any problems or if it would even work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jaroadshow 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers doesn't allow you to install a purchased modem. They will only provision their own modems. What may work in this instance is if you purchased something like a powerline adaptor with Ethernet connection(s) (something like TP-Link, which can also act as a WiFi repeater for the "other" location, etc) that you connect to the existing modem with the other end at the other location.   I'm very pleased with my TP-Link TL-WPA8630 kit.

There are other people on here who know much more about these sorts of things and will probably be along shortly with their suggestions.

@jaroadshow  Rogers typically won't allow a second modem in the house unless its on another account, which is usually another Rogers customer that is renting part of the house, basement  or upstairs floor for example.

As @57 indicated you can use powerline adapters, which can work reasonably well.  Personal opinion, a powerline adapter is hit and miss.  If both adapters are running on the same electrical bus in your electrical panel (there are 2 buses), then you would probably see reasonable performance as that provides the shortest direct path between the adapters.  If the rooms are on opposite electrical buses, then you probably wouldn't see the same level of performance.  If either circuit has a GFI socket (Ground Fault Interrupter), which is usually found in bathrooms, then you can expect to see very poor performance, if at all.  

So they can work, just depends on the individual installation. The Homeplug Powerline Alliance publishes the standards for the equipment and I believe that the latest version is the Homeplug AV2 standard.  So any adapter or adapter set that you buy should be Homeplug AV2 rated.  Usually that should translate to adapters with three prongs on the plug, which are the Hot, Neutral and Ground.  Each of those are used for an Homeplug AV2 adapter to provide at least two, possibly three data paths for Multiple Input, Multiple Output (MIMO) capability.  That change to the AV2 standard has resulted in a big performance gain over their previous versions.

The other way to do this is to use an ethernet to coax adapter, which uses the same cable system used for your modem.  That requires an adapter at both ends of the circuit that you want to build, and it can be expanded to any other room that has a cable port on a wallplate.  Like any other product, the standards have been changing and improving over time, currently at MoCA 2.5.  There are a couple of adapters that might be of interest, made by Actiontec and GoCoax:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200-sp/

https://www.gocoax.com/

There is an Actiontec 6250 out, but from what I've read, it only available to ISPs.  The Actiontec 6200 is a MoCA 2.0 adapter, while the GoCoax adapter is a MoCA 2.5 adapter.  

The other issue with MoCA adapters is that you would have to replace the splitter that you currently have for a MoCA 2.0 qualified splitter and install a MoCA filter on the incoming cable to prevent any MoCA data leakage out of the house, and any MoCA data ingress from the outside cable system.  

Correctly done, with the correct MoCA splitter and filter installed, or a MoCA amplifier, you can see data rates up to 900 Mb/s within the house cable system. 

So, there are different ways to accomplish what you're attempting to do, from straight wifi to powerline to MoCA adapters.  It might take more than one attempt to get the data system to the point that you're happy with its performance.  

jaroadshow
I've been here awhile

@jimmylokhandwal, : Unfortunately , I am no expert. Could you tell me what an Ethernet Switch is ?

Thank You

jaroadshow

@jaroadshow a gigabit ethernet switch is a simple electronic switch that handles the switching required to run multiple ethernet connected devices from one singular port on modem or router, or other switch in the case of cascaded switches. 

There are essentially two varieties, an unmanaged switch and a managed switch. 

The unmanaged switch is a simple device, plug and play, as they say.  Plug one port into the modem or router, and use the other ports to connect the other devices.  These switches don't do anything in terms of bandwidth allocation between other devices or any other LAN control type of activities.  They can be seen here:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/results_details.php?language=en&keywords=unmanaged%20gigabit%...

So, those types of switches, which run in the vicinity of $25 to $50 are typically installed to handle a small number of devices, although, you can go to larger versions if required.  

The managed switches have user set limits for devices that are connected to the switch.  That includes Virtual LAN (VLAN) assignment, bandwidth control and others.  These require the user to log into the switch to set the various parameters required by the user.  They are typically more expensive as well, probably starting around $200 and working up from there.

Tigger2
I've been around
Hi!
I intend to bring in my modem from my office to use at home. There is already one in the house and if I do so, there will be 2 internet account with 2 different modems running in the same house. Is there anything I need to do or I can confelf as long as I am not plugging the 2 modems to the same internet cable? I intend to use the 2nd modem from office in my basement where there are some poor reception spots. The modem that is already in use in the house will stay in main floor. I do not intend to use the wifi extender since I would like to keep my home and work network separated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

You should be able to do this, but try to use different channels between for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands on each modem to reduce conflicts.

@Tigger2 the operative word here is it "should" work.  However, just to point out, Rogers may have measures in place to prevent modems from travelling to different Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS).  Don't know, just speculating.  Either it will work without any issue, or it won't.  If it doesn't work, that would imply that there are security measures in place to prevent what you're doing.  If so, you would need assistance from Rogers.  The CMTS provides control over, and data services to all modems connected to it. 

As long as the modems are on different accounts, I believe this should work, depending on any security measures that might be in place. 

One of the moderators should indicate whether or not this will work. 

Its an interesting question, one that Rogers staff should have thought of given the ongoing Covid 19 situation.  

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 in conversation