cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed halved when bridging CODA-4582U to ASUS XD4

Schix
I've been here awhile

Hello,

So I recently switched from bell to rogers 1gbps legacy after a 1 year hiatus from the company. Coming back I am left to deal with small issues from the CODA modem.

Initial setup was great, consistently getting 950/50mbps speeds when wired via ethernet, however shortly after when I was able to bridge my ASUS XD4 mesh system to the CODA, I ran a speedtest which resulted in me getting around 350/15mbps when wired to the LAN port on the main ASUS router node. 

Has anyone else experienced this? The speeds are still very stable which is great although it does leave quite a bit left to be desired knowing I'm only getting 1/3rd the speed I should be getting from the wall. the mesh system was previously bridged to my bell modem achieving full speeds with no issue.

Thank you in advance!

Xavier S.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet speed halved when bridging CODA-4582U to ASUS XD4

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The solution in this case was to run a Factory Reset for the Asus XD4 router, which a mesh router.  I'm trying to determine if this was attempted thru the router's User Interface previously and failed or if this was the first attempt to Factory Reset the router thru the app, and it was just a coincidence that it occurred thru the app.  

This does happen when you switch from a competitors modem to a Rogers modem and vice versa, where you don't see the expected data rates thru the router.  It can also happen when you switch from a Rogers modem to another model of Rogers modem.  Despite rebooting the router, it fails to perform as expected with the different modem in its upstream location.  With a Windows or Mac pc or laptop, you can wipe out any existing network profiles.  A router might not offer the same ability if you can't Secure Shell into the router, so, the only option is to run a Factory Reset to wipe out any existing network profile from the previous modem, which will include the router's assigned IP address and DNS addresses.  After the Factory Reset the router should behave as expected, unless there is some strange protocol in use by the manufacturer of the routers.  We have seen this with DLink routers, where they don't conform to the expected ethernet protocols that are typically used between the CMTS or modem and the router.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RogersTony

Hello, @Schix

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I can understand how concerning it is to notice a significant drop in speeds when using your own personal router. Our resident expert @Datalink is familiar with Asus routers and may be able to provide you with some insight.

If there are any other users in the community familiar with Asus routers please feel free to chime in with any potential solutions you have found.

RogersTony

Schix
I've been here awhile
Hello RogersTony,
I reached out to Datalink and he helped me very quickly, he definitely knows a lot about these routers!
Thank you!
Xavier S.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Schix :  So, what was the solution?  The purpose of a forum is to help you as well as others who visit the forum.  If discussions take place off-line, then it doesn't help others.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The solution in this case was to run a Factory Reset for the Asus XD4 router, which a mesh router.  I'm trying to determine if this was attempted thru the router's User Interface previously and failed or if this was the first attempt to Factory Reset the router thru the app, and it was just a coincidence that it occurred thru the app.  

This does happen when you switch from a competitors modem to a Rogers modem and vice versa, where you don't see the expected data rates thru the router.  It can also happen when you switch from a Rogers modem to another model of Rogers modem.  Despite rebooting the router, it fails to perform as expected with the different modem in its upstream location.  With a Windows or Mac pc or laptop, you can wipe out any existing network profiles.  A router might not offer the same ability if you can't Secure Shell into the router, so, the only option is to run a Factory Reset to wipe out any existing network profile from the previous modem, which will include the router's assigned IP address and DNS addresses.  After the Factory Reset the router should behave as expected, unless there is some strange protocol in use by the manufacturer of the routers.  We have seen this with DLink routers, where they don't conform to the expected ethernet protocols that are typically used between the CMTS or modem and the router.  

Peach-R
I've been here awhile

Hello

I'm having a 500M/ connection and have been constantly experiencing slow speeds in bridge mode. Here's the problem:

Once I put the modem into bridge mode, the download speed remains 500mbps for a period of time, usually less than 30 minutes. After this period of time, the speed drops to a stable 10mbps for both download and upload. I want to add that while the speed is normally fine in gateway mode, it occationally have a extremely high ping (300+ms) at which time simultaneously the speed drops a lot (not a constant and stable number so i cannot specify).

My setup is a CODA-4582U modem and an ASUS AX86U router.

I have had the modem replaced twice but it does not help. I've also had two technicians visited my home. The first technician checked the signals and did not find a problem. The second one said that there's something wrong with the building and our specific building is constantly experiencing flapping, but then said that he cannot identify and solve the problem.

Does anybody have a clue what's happening? Is there anything that I can do to fix my internet connection?

@Peach-R is this a new configuration, as in 4582 modem and AX86U, or have you had this running for weeks or months?  I'm wondering if you're arriving from another ISP and are changing modems as a result?  If thats the case, with the modem in Bridge mode, run a factory reset for the AX86U to see if that resolves the issue.  Set the router up from scratch after the factory reset, instead of loading a backup file.  

What firmware are you running on the AX86U, stock Asus, or Merlin's Asuswrt, and, for whichever one is running, what version is loaded?  Just wondering if you're running the latest version of stock Asus, or Merlin's Asuswrt.

Can you also log into the modem and:

1.  check which firmware (Software) version is loaded, as indicated on the Status page. 

2. Navigate to the Docsis Wan tab to copy the Entire Downstream and Upstream tables. Place your curser just in front of the Downstream Overview line, hold the shift key down and then scroll all the way down to include the very last character on the bottom OFDM/OFDMA table.  That will select the entire data table.  Release the shift key, right click .... Copy.  Then in a new post. right click .... Paste.  That will paste in the Downstream and Upstream signal tables, as they appear in the modem's UI.  I'd like to have a look at the signal levels just to see if anything is amiss.

Peach-R
I've been here awhile

@DatalinkThis is a completely new configuration. I just moved into this apartment in Janunary and the AX86U is newly bought. I'm runnin stock Asus firmware, version 3.0.0.4.386_46061-g9a06866, which is the newest available. Actually I don't think that it's the router's problem because I have tried ditectly wire my computer to the modem, and the result is the same.

And here comes another problem. Somehow I connot log into the modem under bridge mode using 192.168.100.1. The webpage just does not load. I was able to log into it for the first few weeks, but recently it just doesn't work anymore. I am able to log into the modem using 192.168.0.1 under gateway mode, but then the problem only occurs under bridge mode.

@Peach-R here's some food for thought.  The latest stock firmware version (46061/46065 - model dependent) from Asus has a problem with Trend Micro's BWDPI which is the Deep Inspection Engine.  For whatever reason, Asus sluffs this off to Trend Micro.  I'm sure money changes hands here, just not sure in what direction it goes.  

In any event, that problem with the DWDPI module probably affects many items that can be optionally selected, including AI Protection,  Adaptive QOS, any filtering that might be selected and others.  Anything that requires processing for one reason or another is probably subject to this issue.  I haven't seen any official announcement in the Small Net Builders forum by Asus.  The discussion of this arose in the Merlin's Asuswrt forum.  

To get around the problem you might be able to do the following:  

1.  If you're running AI Protection, QOS, any filtering of any type, etc, disable them and reboot the router. 

2.  Let the router run for an appropriate amount of time to see if you suffer from the same slow data rate issue. 

3.  If that didn't fix the issue, run a factory reset for the router and leave anything to do with AI Protection, QOS, filtering etc, completely disabled.  Finish setting up the router and reboot the router when that setup is complete.

4.  Monitor the data rate so see if you still suffer from the slow data rates after 30 min. 

Fwiw, Merlin's Asuswrt 386.5 was just released tonight.  Merlin rolled back the BWDPI module to the previous version.  For RT-AC86U routers, that seemed to fix the issues those users were seeing.  Here's the thread for the 386.5 release:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-5-is-now-available.77691/

What you could do is follow the downloads link to the appropriate download folder:

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

Download the version for the AX86U and install that version to see if it fixes the slow data rates.  If it doesn't, then the problem isn't with the router. 

If you do install Merlin's Asuswrt, kick the modem into Gateway mode, or disconnect the router, then:

1.  When you're logged into the router, run a factory reset when the Asus version is still loaded in order to ensure that there's enough memory to run the update. 

2. When that is completed, upload Merlin's Asuswrt and when that is complete, run another factor reset. 

3.  When that is complete, set the router up from scratch.  

4.  Kick the modem back into Gateway mode or reconnect to it.  In either case, reboot the router.  When that is complete, you should have a stable router with Merlin's Asuswrt loaded.  If there are any issues, I'd attribute them to some type of upstream problem, ahead of the modem. 

Peach-R
I've been here awhile

Hello

Rogers have sent engineers to the building and fixed some of the physical lines. Now the problem is gone. Anyway thank you for your very detailed reply.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 in conversation