cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Disconnecting and Reconnecting

CiscoVo
I've been here awhile

I'm an existing Rogers customer, maybe for 10+ years so we got the switch over to Rogers Ignite quite late (about a month ago). Switched from the legacy modem and red tv-box to the XB7 White Modem Router and the Tiny Black Wifi TV Box.

Right after the switch in the hardware, we also switched from the 200down to 500down plan. The new speeds were incredible and worked as advertised, minus the stability. The old modem router rarely pooped itself, but after switching to the new one we've had disconnects and high ping spikes on all devices in the household, both wired and unwired.

At that time we called Rogers Tech Support, they inspected the line coming into our home and said it was old and outdated, so they changed our line immediately on the outside the same day (it was real fast). Then they checked our signal using a measurement device and said it was low, and that there was some work being done in the neighborhood. Okay, that was reasonable so I adhered to the tech support's advice by waiting out 10 days until that "fix" was done. I checked every day on the rogers tech support website via the Chat Agent named "Anna"; Anna told me daily that I wasn't the only one experiencing these technical issues and that I should wait and check back later for my issues to be resolved. After like 2.5 weeks (way more than 10 days by the way) it was finally resolved according to Anna, was it resolved? Not at all. So we call in tech support again to replace our modem router just in case. They did it as per request and scratched their heads because our signals were "fine". This was like 3 tech support visits in with 0 solutions, I don't really blame them cause they only know what they're trained. But from a customer standpoint, I can't attend my remote work calls without being dropped, my TV freezes all the time, my family's phone connection drops. Really frustrated, and nobody can solve our problems.

Anybody here have similar issues? and perhaps solutions?

*Added Labels*

89 REPLIES 89

Re: Intermittent Disconnecting and Reconnecting

ChitoYorro
I've been here awhile

For over a week now, I have been experiencing intermittent drop in internet/tv connection.  The situation is so bad now because my connection drops almost every 5 minutes, each disconnection lasting between 30 seconds - 2 minutes each time.  It's so troubling and frustrating, especially while watching live tv.  Unfortunately, there's nobody to turn to for help as Rogers chat line does not have any live agent to help resolve the issue.  It is just this robotic Anna who provides canned responses (that do not actually address the problem I'm encountering).

This is terrible, and very disappointing!  I've been a Rogers customer for over 25 years now, and unless this matter is resolved to my utmost satisfaction, I shall have no recourse but to sever this relationship, ask for a refund for disrupted services, as well as reach out to the media and regulatory agencies. 

CiscoVo
I've been here awhile

I relate to this frustration so much. You can speak to a live agent through the Anna bot, when Anna asks you if their reply helped or not, you have to click "No" and it'll put you through to a live agent. I hope that's a starting point to help you with it.

ITguru
I've been here awhile
I recently switched to Ignite last December, and had similar issues initially as well. The tech came out, checked the line, signal was "too good and too strong", and removed the coax splitters and amplifier that they had previously installed to support the previous 4 PVRs and TVs. That cleaned up the signal, and have had few issues since, unless neighborhood-wide. Fast 500+ mbps with 3 Ignite TV boxes, 4 computers, 2 NAS, 4 wifi devices, 3 Alexa Echos, etc. It's been pretty good, but still not quite as rock solid as the old cable TV with separate internet modem. Not complaining yet... and yes, still working from home.

Fast in Ottawa

DavidHeilig
I plan to stick around

We have had this issue forever now, and every month we call rogers about this issue at lest twice, sometimes more. As of yesterday they are sending us out a new box. Its a little rediculas.

I second this comment. Non-stop outages for the past week every few minutes. Not sure what to do about it.

ITguru
I've been here awhile

You should probably try what I did when Ignite was initially installed.  I too, had intermittent outages in 'batches' over many days, but not every day.  Sometimes it would be every 5-10 minutes for about 5 or 6 hours, and it would repeat every day or two.  Absolutely unacceptable when working from home over a VPN - I'd constantly re-login just to get kicked out again.  So I recorded every outage's stop/start time over the day for a couple days, then called Rogers and reported it.  A tech was sent out the next day to look into the issue, and the problem was actually too strong of a signal.  There is a window where the best signal response is available, and the tech nailed it by removing the components previously described.  The external cable had been replaced about 2 or 3 years earlier when it was nicked during lawn aeration or the insulation just cracked.  Either way, when the new cable was installed, it's overall length was sized based on the full wavelength of the signal (per the tech's advice - the extra length is coiled up where the cable enters the house).  That helped immensely with signal quality back then, so all that had to be adjusted with Ignite was the signal strength.  Moving from the previously cabled 4 PVRs, telephone modem, and Hi-Tron (Rocket) router down to the single Ignite router required dropping the signal strength, since it was overwhelming the new router.  Once that was adjusted in the window, all was good.  Had only two issues in the last 6 months, both due to neighbourhood outages.  Other than that, perfect.  I can't really complain.  Hope you have the same luck getting yours fixed.

PDZ
I've been here awhile

I've been having this same issue for the last few months. I'm on the highest speed of Ignite and my signal just drops intermittently, only for a few seconds, but it happens frequently over a few hours. Then it's fine for a number of hours. I've had 2 different sets of techs out to my apartment. The first one, well I don't know that he did anything. The second set replaced the cables coming into my apartment and said there was also an issue with the signal coming to my building, but I've been unable to follow up on if that's going to be fixed. I talk to support via chat at least once a week. Every time they reboot and zap (?) the modem and tell me to restart my computer. This fixes things in the very short term and then it goes right back to dropping the signal frequently later that day.

This is impacting my work and where I notice it most is in streaming on Twitch. It stream will completely disconnect every 5 to 10 minutes which makes it not even worth doing. The signal drops happens both on my wired computer, TV and consoles as well as any devices connected via wi-fi. 

I'm at my wits end. I just ordered a new CAT8 cable to connect my computer, which I know isn't the solution because it happens to every device, but I'm trying anything. 

Hello, @PDZ

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how frustrating it is having to deal with these type of intermittent connectivity issues. We'd like to test to see if there is any latency affecting your line. This may help us determine what steps to take next. 

Please provide us with the results of a PING test and a Traceroute. You can find the specific steps here. Please post the results in the community so we can review it to see if there is a latency issue that is causing the connection to drop.

We look forward to reviewing your results.

RogersTony

Here are my results:

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---

50 packets transmitted, 50 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.703/28.607/46.102/6.622 ms

traceroute to www.google.com (172.217.13.132), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1)  16.051 ms  5.645 ms  6.260 ms

2  174.112.88.1 (174.112.88.1)  17.278 ms  22.549 ms  15.861 ms

3  66.185.91.173 (66.185.91.173)  15.519 ms  18.464 ms  19.469 ms

4  209.148.236.169 (209.148.236.169)  23.622 ms  18.478 ms

209.148.236.173 (209.148.236.173)  17.064 ms

5  209.148.233.130 (209.148.233.130)  21.741 ms  17.217 ms  32.104 ms

6  * * *

7  108.170.251.1 (108.170.251.1)  23.551 ms

108.170.251.49 (108.170.251.49)  25.718 ms *

8  108.170.231.53 (108.170.231.53)  30.247 ms  26.100 ms

yul02s05-in-f4.1e100.net (172.217.13.132)  21.744 ms

Hello, @internetuser1

Thanks for posting the test results. I am not seeing any latency or anything concerning from those test results. 

• Are you still experiencing service interruptions or is the connection stable? 
  • Have you noticed if the light pattern on the modem changes when the connection is dropping? 
  • Does it require a reboot or does the connection restore itself?
  • Does the connection drop on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected devices?

Once we have more details we'll be better equipped to assist you.

RogersTony

Yes, the interruptions are continuous every 30 minutes or so. They usually last 1 to 10 minutes and fix themselves. It even affects devices hard wired into the modem. Rebooting does not help. I haven’t been paying close attention to the lights, I usually just sit and wait for the connection to come back. But I didn’t look once and noticed the @ symbols did not show up green.

Thank you for the details you've provided so far @internetuser1. Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps for further assistance. You can check out this blog to learn how to send us a PM. 

RogersZia

PDZ
I've been here awhile

I did two ping tests, one while my internet connection was stable and one when it was giving me some issues.

1st test:

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:807::2004:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 15ms

2nd test:

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:802::2004:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 49, Lost = 1 (2% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 22ms

CiscoVo
I've been here awhile

packet loss.png

I caught my internet experiencing ping spikes and packet loss in the process, this screenshot is from the XB7 Gateway portal under the troubleshooting tab. 😭

Ladyk
I've been around
Hi,

I am having this problem too. Ever since I switched modems to ignite service my internet drops in and out all day long. Ive called Rogers twice and they offer no solution. What can be done besides switching to a company that cares to solve the problem?

Thanks

Hello, @Ladyk

I can understand how disruptive it can be to experience these intermittent connectivity drops.

• When the connection drops have you noticed if the light on the top of the modem changes colour or starts blinking?
  • Does the connection restore itself or do you have to reboot the modem to get back online?
  • Is the modem connected directly to a power socket or via a power bar/surge protector?

Once we have more details we'll be better equipped to assist you.

RogersTony

DayPol
I plan to stick around

It's identical. We also had to switch about 6 wks ago as legacy was no longer being support and the cable lines coming into our house were corrupt and would not be replace. We too have constant TV disconnects and no phone, internet or email. Oct 1 it was like every few minutes, and Oct 2 we were down most of the day. Today we've been down 3x so far. This is very poor service and yet they keep sending emails and running TV ads that they are spending billions to fix their service so at least the 911 calls won't go down, and they keep pushing how their WiFi is superior. I had far better service under the legacy system.  I think Rogers tried to grow to fast, and now it's playing catch up trying to manage services. To think they are also trying to merge with Shaw which would make them the biggest in Canada. I am giving them 2 more months, and if not resolved, I will have to think about another provider. 

DayPol
I plan to stick around

I should mention this is not isolated to me, several neighbours are having the same issue, as well as contacts in Guelph and Cambridge, it seems to be a wide-spread issue for Rogers, so I don't think's it's anything to do with the cables to the building, or too strong or too low a signal. Rogers Wi Fi is having issues staying connected with the Internet. This appears to be a HQ issue given how wide spread it is. 

aboyaci
I plan to stick around

Toronto here. Same issue. I have been experiencing this time to time throughout the pandemic, but it has noticably been worse after April 2022. We report this to Rogers, and all they say is, we dont see any issue, and they do nothing. Its ridiculous. Ever few minutes, it just disconnects internet. We reset the modem like 5-10 times a day on certain days. Some days its fine no issues. Its very annoying. This was not the norm.

And then outage happened, and it blew up everything. 

My suspicion is, Rogers has too many customers, its unable to service everyone that it has subscribed with the current bandwidth that they provide, and so the service is stretched too thin, and so some people's service cuts off, while others reset theirs, and its like a never ending cycle of disconnections.

Hello @DayPol & @aboyaci,

Experiencing intermittency on cable and internet service is annoying.  We'd like to run diagnostics on the service and take next steps to address the issue.

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersRahul

Topic Stats