Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

Just got Rogers Ignite internet package, and when I get on the computer after sitting idle for a while or overnight, I tend to lose the interconnection which also takes out the TV's and the WIFI, it will eventually reconnect after a few minutes, the odd time I wasn't on the computer and would lose the TV's and wifi connection.  Called Rogers tech dept. they did send me a new modem to switch out, but still have the problem, rogers says line signal is good a ticket to further investigate. 

Was wondering if there is something to do with the computer itself, such as the WIFI adapter?  I have the Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCle.  Everything was working great when I was with Bell, but since switching to the Rogers Ignite WIFI Gateway, I've been having these connection issues.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

Thanks everyone for your help, finally got a solution, working good so far no interruptions.

I filled a "share a concern" form and had a response by the end of the day with a two minute solution.  There is a known issue with Realtek WiFi adapters and Ignite Gateway, and was provided with a work around that will work with Realtek adapters only.  I had to change the field in the Wireless mode to 802.11g, I guess it only allows the computer to use the 2.4GHz frequency.

How simple, previously I asked the Rogers tech on phone if there were any settings on my computer or the adapter that had to be changed, his reply was no.

Oh well, its fixed

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) - Losing internet connection mostly when first using the computer

Hello, @glenn5.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community; I appreciate your observation, and you may have identified the root cause of losing the Internet on your network. 

We have seen in the past when one device crashing the network like you are experiencing. Have you checked if the WiFi adapter's firmware is up to date?

How far is the computer from the Ignite WiFi gateway? If it is within the line sight of the gateway, can you disable 2.4 GHz band and the Bluetooth on the WiFi adapter?

We look forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, updated the drivers, but still have same problem.  How do I disable the 2.4 GHz and bluetooth on wifi adapter, I click on wifi properties on my wifi adapter, I don't see those options?  

My apologies, I'm not that computer literate

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Forgot to mention, modem about 3ft from computer on my deskK
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@glenn5  You may not be able to disable the 2.4 GHz band in your WiFi driver but you can disable Bluetooth on Windows 10 as follows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027630/windows-10-turn-bluetooth-on-or-off

However, DO NOT do this if you have a wireless keyboard or mouse that requires Bluetooth connectivity.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks, I was able to turn off the blue tooth om windows 10, we will see what happens!

All this info from everyone is much appreiciated 

I Plan to Stick Around

Turning off bluetooth not helping.  At wits end, what do I do, go back to my old provider with my tail between my legs!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, not yet !!  I'm thinking about this problem, just have a little research to do first.  

What happens when you don't have that pc up and runnng?  Does your wifi network behave as it should?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Everything works great when computer not running. I turned computer off and TVs still work, wifi available to tablets
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you have a look at the bottom of the modem for the model number.  It will either be an Arris TG-3482ER or a Technicolor CGM-4140COM.  The Arris modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem while the Technicolor modem is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem.  Please let me know which one you have.